Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Names » Parents, what were some of the names you rejected when considering what to name your child(ren), and why did you dislike them? ~

Parents, what were some of the names you rejected when considering what to name your child(ren), and why did you dislike them? ~

Posted - October 6, 2019

Responses

Barbara Joyce. Both grandmothers. However, my mother never quite forgave her parents for naming her "Barbara".
      October 6, 2019 6:09 AM MDT

Barbara was my high school girlfriend’s name. I almost married her, but everything fell through when she got pregnant while I was away at boot camp. 
    ~
      October 6, 2019 6:11 AM MDT

Well, let's see --------------------- We rejected Randy because I had a 'friend' named Randy who was a bit crazy. He pointed a loaded shotgun at me and I didn't like that. Then there was Sharon. She was the neighborhood slob-chick. She lived in a big old house with a bunch of equally slobbish siblings.  We never heard of anyone named 'Slartibartfast', but there was a kid named Bart, and we never considered that one.  If you wanted a prostitute, you went to 'Rosies'  whorehouse out by the lake.  Anyway, we didn't use any of these names for our kids.
      October 6, 2019 7:13 AM MDT

October 6, 2019 8:39 AM MDT

I was going to name one of my children an unusual name however due to peer and family pressure I choose another name which is also beautiful. 
      October 6, 2019 9:14 AM MDT

We decided on my first daughter's name years before she came along; it was simply my middle name with a slight tweek.

The second daughter was supposed to be a boy.  We narrowed it to two boys names.  About a week before she was born we had the presence of mind to at least think about girls' names just in case.  We got it down to two as well.  After she was born we just could not agree on which of the two.  A friend of ours, who was also our Pediatrician, came into my hospital room, climbed up onto the bed, crossed her legs, and said We've got to name this baby today.   Hubby and I still at impasse, she sided with hubby and our daughter had a name.  By the time she got to school she did not like her name.  She left high school after 10th grade to go on to college and she came to be known by her middle name.  Somewhere deep inside I feel like I won in the end. 
      October 6, 2019 5:20 PM MDT

It occurred to me to name my son Bwana but we decided his friends would think that's just too damm funny.

xavier samuel laughing GIF
      October 6, 2019 7:50 PM MDT