Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Music » If you were asked to choose: What song, from those you've heard, would you choose as The Best Song from the 1980's?

If you were asked to choose: What song, from those you've heard, would you choose as The Best Song from the 1980's?

I was listening to this song today, and I thought that, if I had to choose, this song might be my pick for the best from that decade:

"Life in a Northern Town"        The Dream Academy 

:)

Posted - October 7, 2019

Responses

Good luck finding one better than this.

October 7, 2019 8:53 PM MDT

Very much agreed. Oh, yeah.
      October 13, 2019 7:07 PM MDT

I'll post the sanitized version of it to keep the mods happy.

From 1989:

October 7, 2019 9:23 PM MDT

I think you like this song a lot more than I do.

The song does grow on me, though.

Though I can relate to the lyrics. Ha!
      October 13, 2019 7:07 PM MDT

I don't know if it's the best song from the 80s or not but for some reason it's just the first song that popped into my head when I saw this question so yeah, it's what I posted!
      October 14, 2019 12:38 AM MDT

LOL I just GOTTA ask you. why did you take so many words to say 

What do you think is the best song from the 1980's?  

I love that you did it, because it is so YOU.  

Let me tell you about the 80's.  I hated the music.  Did not LOVE the 80's music at all.  I was a 60's child.  We had the BEST MUSIC ever made.  And I will challenge anyone who says differently.  We came from NOTHING like that.  We did not have anything to fall back on. WE made our own music and no one ever did anything close to it.  The closest was rock 'n roll, but seriously, rock n roll was about as sophisticated before the 60's and the Beatles, as Connie Francis and Elvis Presley.  

THEN WE HAD THE 60's.  WOW.  Then we had the 70's and still wow.  Then we had the 80's and WHAT IS THIS DISCO CRAP DEGENERATED INTO POP BIG HAIR AND THE SAME CRAP OVER AND OVER.

That is what I remember of the 80's.  I know there was some GREAT music, I can hear it now that I can look back and appreciate it, but while I was IN the 80's I was miserable.  

Musically, I was looking for a Kurt Cobain and he didn't materialize until the 90's .  ThANK GOD.

This was a precursor to Nirvana.  

https://youtu.be/yJM576_1UX4

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 13, 2019 6:51 PM MDT
      October 8, 2019 12:23 AM MDT

Ha! To answer your first question - - yup, I did have reasons to purposely word this question how I did, ha --
    Picking the 'best' anything is practically impossible, so I said "If you HAD to choose"
    And I thought it would also be impossible to simply pick the best song because it'd be impossible to hear EVERY song released in the decade, so I qualified it by saying 'those songs you've heard'

and with that said, it is now obviously official -- "WelbyQuentin thinks too much!! He overthinks everything!"

This song you posted does have a Nirvana-like sound. I like this. I don't think I've ever heard of them. I really do like this. I know this is the first time I've heard this.
    [Three times I ended a sentence with "this" - - Randy D will get after me, ha; if he does, that'd be cool with me, too - though I'm still leaving it as is. (And I don't think ending that sentence with "is" is a good thing, either, ha.) ]

Sorry to all that it took so long to respond to answers to my question.
      October 13, 2019 6:51 PM MDT

Pretty much the entire Icehouse catalogue, but if I absolutely have to pick just one ...

October 8, 2019 12:28 AM MDT

I think of you every time I hear them.
    Good stuff for sure.
      October 13, 2019 6:52 PM MDT

October 8, 2019 4:08 AM MDT

Of those you've chosen, (all great choices, yes), I love that Winwood song! And though I like Whitney Houston, I'm very tired of hearing this new current hit remix of "Higher Love" featuring her. No offense to Whitney, but Chaka Khan and Winwood together is pretty much heaven for me.
      October 13, 2019 7:04 PM MDT

I like far too many songs to be able to narrow it down to just one of them over that entire decade. Heck, I couldn’t even narrow it down to one over one month in that entire decade.

~
      October 8, 2019 10:55 PM MDT

Yeah, I know what you mean!

I just heard a song by Simple Minds this evening - and I thought, this song is great, too -  up there as a Potential Best for me.
      October 13, 2019 6:54 PM MDT

Sorry I'm late in responding.
      October 13, 2019 6:55 PM MDT

This post was edited by Flint Ironstag at October 13, 2019 6:55 PM MDT
      October 9, 2019 8:06 PM MDT

I do like this group an awful lot! I've liked everything I've ever heard from them.
    Intriguing music video, too.
      October 13, 2019 6:59 PM MDT