Discussion » Questions » Family » HOW WERE YOU NAMED?

HOW WERE YOU NAMED?

it's always fascinated me as to how/why people are given the names they have..

how about you? were you named after someone? who?

if not, do you know why your parents chose the name they gave you?

do you like your name?

thanks.....

Posted - October 9, 2019

Responses

I never asked why they named me what they named me. However, I know why I named my son what his name is. He was named after a famous champion golfer who was known for his integrity and humbleness. Funny thing --- the first time I watched this fellow playing in a tournament, without TV cameras on him, he cussed up a storm when his shots were off just a bit. 
      October 9, 2019 8:36 AM MDT

Huge Smiles!
    Now that IS a great naming story!
    The pending question... is your son a good golfer?  Does he carry the characteristics of integrity and humbleness?  And lastly, does he have a foul mouth?
    Great answer bhwilson! :) :)
      October 9, 2019 10:00 AM MDT

He played golf for a while as a child. He has the worst possible attitude for the game, and is foul mouthed when he hits a bad shot. 
      October 10, 2019 9:36 AM MDT

I was named after an uncle on my mother's side.  In the Jewish religion, we name after a person who has died so they are not forgotten.
      October 9, 2019 9:17 AM MDT

Hi SpunkySenior~ :)
    I get this.  I didn't know it was a jewish thing.  I thought it was a Southern thing. 
    I have a very dear friend who carries the last name of his great grandfather as his first name and his mother's maiden name as his middle name.  His last name is of the man his mother married.  
    Goofy sounding to me?  Yes!
    A wonderful man whom I respect and adore? Yes!

October 9, 2019 10:03 AM MDT

We use the first name of the deceased where you use the last name of the deceased as a first name, mom's maiden name as a middle name.  
      October 9, 2019 1:32 PM MDT

I can't tell you the actress because it might break rules and you might know my true name; however, many of you from the same age group I am will know it.

I was named after an actress my father liked very much.  She is very pretty and starred in some very classic, (now classic) ;) movies.  She wasn't big like Elizabeth Taylor.  That was a generation or two before mine but she is pretty and talented.
    My mom wanted to name me Jennifer.  I'm glad my father won.
    My middle name is my great aunt's first name and my last name is my father's. It depends on who you ask.  I am very happily married and go by both my maiden father's last name and my married last name. :) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at October 10, 2019 9:00 PM MDT
      October 9, 2019 10:06 AM MDT

They simply liked the name. I am fine with it. I know if I had been a boy my name would have been Robert. (Again just cause they liked it...no family or other reason)
    No, my name is not Roberta or Rebecca etc nothing near Robert. 
      October 9, 2019 10:15 AM MDT

:) :)  I've never pictured you as a Roberta, Rebecca, or Bob. Obviously, I don't know your name and never have.
    However, in my mind, your name has two syllables. It is a strong name but doesn't bite, like Alex. It has a softness in it, somewhere. Maybe it is two names.  One thing I don't feel is it to be a unisex name.
    I could be totally wrong but that is how I feel your personality shows your name to be. :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at October 10, 2019 9:01 PM MDT
      October 9, 2019 10:28 AM MDT

It is two syllables. It is normally a girl's name but it has been used for boys.  But I have never met a guy with my name. 
      October 9, 2019 12:03 PM MDT

What a good way to start the day!  I was right.  YaY! :) :) 
    In all actuality, you were right in promoting yourself to match your name and probably not even knowing it. ;)
    See you on another question. :) 
      October 10, 2019 7:39 AM MDT

After reading My2cents answer, I would like to add, I know if I had been a boy, I would have been named, Christopher.  Don't laugh but I think that idea was from the character, Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh. 
    It's true. :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at October 10, 2019 9:02 PM MDT
      October 9, 2019 10:32 AM MDT

• My parents said they just liked the name. They came across it by chance, not in a baby name book, but from a list of names a friend was considering for their own child. They had always liked names ending in -n and would likely have chosen a more common one had they not loved "Nevan". I might've been Ryan or Kevin or something like that, but I'm glad they chose the more unusual Nevan. I've always liked my name, mainly because I don't know anyone else with it. :)
      October 9, 2019 11:17 AM MDT

I was named for a Biblical queen.
      October 9, 2019 11:14 PM MDT

Wow!  Queen Thriftymaid!
      October 10, 2019 9:30 AM MDT

I know, right?! 
      October 10, 2019 8:01 PM MDT

I was named first name first, then middle name.  The surname came along with the deal. 

October 10, 2019 12:33 AM MDT

How very unusual....
    Big winks and smiles!!
      October 10, 2019 7:41 AM MDT

I was born a poor black child who never saw the sun.  

Therefore the only name that could possibly fit was Sharon.  
      October 10, 2019 12:52 AM MDT

Even in your profile where you allude to this Steve Martin* line, I’ve never understood either how you mean it or why you find it humorous (or cute).

*From his 1979 movie “The Jerk”.

:|
      October 10, 2019 6:55 AM MDT

I would have thought you were named Sharon because you like to share.
    ;) :)
      October 10, 2019 7:42 AM MDT

My net handle was borrowed from the Hitch Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy.

My real name is my father's middle name, followed by his elder brother's name, followed by a short name both my parents thought fit well with the other two.
      October 10, 2019 1:13 AM MDT

There was an actress in the 40s and 50s named Donna Reed my parents liked.  I guess they wanted me to be like her.  She was very beautiful.  Yes I like my name but did not always. 
      October 10, 2019 8:07 AM MDT

• My parents flipped a coin to see who would give me my first name and who would give my middle. I like my name. 
      October 10, 2019 9:29 PM MDT