Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » Vegetarians and vegans: do you eat eggs? If so, why? If not, why not?

Vegetarians and vegans: do you eat eggs? If so, why? If not, why not?

~

Posted - October 13, 2019

Responses

If you eat milk and eggs you are octo-lacto vegetarian.

If you eat fish, it is pescatarian.  

I don't think vegan and anything animal will ever be acceptable. You either are plant-based or not.  And anything that comes from the body of an animal is not vegan.  
      October 13, 2019 1:54 PM MDT

Thank you for the informative response, mon amie. 
    ~
      October 13, 2019 2:00 PM MDT

If you eat milk and eggs you are octo-lacto vegetarian.

If you eat fish, it is pescatarian.  

I don't think vegan and anything animal will ever be acceptable. You either are plant-based or not.  And anything that comes from the body of an animal is not vegan.

Right now I am eating a hamburger.  It is soy from Morning Star farms.  I have onion and ketchup and mustard and a roll.  That is pretty much totally vegetarian, even vegan. There is no animal.

But I am trying to go totally raw. And I am introducing raw juice as the main stay of my diet right now just to clean out my system.  So, if I get hungry, I eat something like this.  
      October 13, 2019 1:57 PM MDT

Thank you for the informative response, mon amie. 
    ~
      October 13, 2019 2:01 PM MDT

Thanks for asking.  I had so many sandwiches this past few months that I need to cleanse and get this body back in shape.  I am TIRED. To much concentrated food.  You eat a lot of salads that is great.

Image result for salad eater pics funny This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 13, 2019 3:47 PM MDT
      October 13, 2019 2:29 PM MDT

Why is it that I eat a lot of sandwiches yet it doesn’t leave me out of shape?  True, I exercise a lot; I burn off a lot of the fuel that I take in, and I have an extremely fast metabolism, too. Barring those factors, is it a given for the average person that sandwich = probable shapelessness?

~
      October 13, 2019 2:39 PM MDT

Sandwiches do  not make you out of shape. They can make you fatigued if you are ONLY eating that and nothing else.

Exercise is what keeps you in shape.  Not sandwich consumption. If you over eat anything, it will probably put on some poundage except fruit and vegetables.  And that is no way to go.  You need more as a rule.  I do.  So far.  I can go all day long without feeling hungry, but when I do, I want something substantial.  So it has to be a good salad or a sandwich or pizza or something bad.  
      October 14, 2019 9:51 AM MDT

He's eating what my food eats.
      October 13, 2019 3:48 PM MDT

Saves a step, see? 
      October 14, 2019 9:51 AM MDT

No,but I will have a crack at eating them one day....:) 
      October 13, 2019 2:49 PM MDT

That is mostly why people do change.  Something finally dawns on me that I could feel much better. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 14, 2019 6:29 PM MDT
      October 14, 2019 9:52 AM MDT

i did not eat eggs as a vegan but i do know vegans who eat eggs from their hen's that they keep as pets
      October 13, 2019 6:24 PM MDT

They are NOT vegans.  

You don't eat animals or any PART of one to be vegan.  They are just super healthy vegetarians.  
      October 14, 2019 9:53 AM MDT

Vegans don't eat anything that comes from animals, including eggs. Even if they're from chickens that are lovingly raised and kept as cherished pets, no eggs. Trust me on this; I've discussed it with zealous vegans. If you eat precious Hetty's eggs, you're not vegan. 

If you're a pro-life vegetarian, no eggs for you! :P

October 14, 2019 8:40 AM MDT

Right.  
      October 14, 2019 9:53 AM MDT

I don't cook with eggs but occasionally eat pasta made with eggs or some in fried rice I get elsewhere.  I have no problem with that whatever you might choose to label it. 98% of what we eat are grains and vegetables. 
      October 14, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

That's very good.  
      October 14, 2019 9:54 AM MDT

Thank you. 
      October 14, 2019 9:57 AM MDT

Yes, I eat eggs even on my vegetarian days.  
      October 14, 2019 3:53 PM MDT

Vegetarians do eat eggs, and also dairy and apiary products.
    The word vegetarian refers to not eating the flesh of animals that once lived. 
    Eggs, milk and honey could never breathe or move around of their own will, so they are allowable in a vegetarian diet.

Vegans do not eat (or wear or use) anything of animal origin, including the bi-products of animals.
    Most vegans choose this option because they are strongly against all forms of cruelty to animals.
    In the case of eggs, the unwanted male chicks must be disposed of in order to keep hens to produce eggs.
    You would not like the film footage; the male chicks are sent on a conveyor belt into a slide tube and land on a mincing machine. They are alive when they are ground into a pulp used to make fertilisers and feed pellets for fish farms.
    Hens too old to lay may and up as tough broilers for soup stock. On small farms, they are usually killed quickly and humanely by breaking their necks. But in large factory operations, they are hung upsidedown on a conveyor belt until they reach a vat of water where they are electrocuted.
    Vegans consider this fate to be cruel, and that eating egg helps drive the economic forces which support this cruelty.

Similar arguments apply to the cruelty to cows and calves in the dairy industry, and to bees in the honey industry.

I'm curious, Randy.
    Over time you've asked many questions about the differences between vegans and vegetarians.
    What is happening in your life that gives rise to these questions?

Back in my twenties, when I first wanted to know, I read Francis Moore-Lappe's Diet for a Small Planet, and Recipes for a Small Planet. They still remain among the top books on the topic. All the facts and reasons for both vegetarianism and veganism are laid out with great clarity.
    If this topic continues to perplex you, perhaps you might find these books more thorough and helpful than I've been here.

This post was edited by inky at October 17, 2019 7:08 AM MDT
      October 16, 2019 8:19 PM MDT

I am nearly vegetarian. I eat oily fish and liver a few times a year. The former because I sometimes find it helps with anxiety, poor concentration and general low energy. The latter because I've recently started to find I have low iron levels when I go to give blood (taking orange juice with meals is said to work, so I do that as well, when I remember). I try to minimise my consumption of dairy products. As for eggs, I never buy them to cook at home and rarely eat dishes in which they are the principle ingredient. I suppose the main reason is I'm just not very fond of egg, either the taste or texture, but there's also the fact that I may decide to go fully vegan one day and I don't want to become too nutritionally dependent on animal sources of protein.
      October 28, 2019 2:01 PM MDT