Active Now

Flint Ironstag
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What are your plans for enduring the Great Tribulation fortold in the book of Revelations in the Holy Bible?

What are your plans for enduring the Great Tribulation fortold in the book of Revelations in the Holy Bible?

Posted - October 18, 2019

Responses

God is, as many deities before this one, the product of a paternalistic culture, as is the Bible. 
    All of the books that chronicle the Abrahamic God uniformly cast women as weaker, as chattel. 

October 27, 2019 2:25 PM MDT

But why are supposedly enlightened and "woke" people such as Tom perpetuating that in 2019?
      October 27, 2019 3:50 PM MDT

I wouldn‘t presume to speak for Tom, Stu. 

I am confident in his ability to articulate his own views. 

October 27, 2019 4:05 PM MDT

You're right. I will post a question about it.
      October 27, 2019 4:42 PM MDT

Actually neither of those conditions are necessary---what the nature of divinity might be if we were able to comprehend it is immaterial as long as it contains the perfections of human form and masculinity. (The male gender is simply biological life's participation of the greater polarity in the universe of masculine and feminine.) 

If you read Aristotle and Aquinas, you might get an idea of "why" God is frequently referred to by what we call "personal" pronouns.
      October 28, 2019 3:36 PM MDT

Who was Joseph's father? Jacob or Heli? Given that both Matthew and Luke were written in the same decade and a mere forty years after the Crucifixion, there may well have been people alive who had known the man, but the accounts differ.

Then there's Genesis. "Male and Female He created them" on the sixth day (Gen 1:27), then in chapter 2 he does the bit with Adam's rib. Which is the lie?

And I point blank refuse to believe that Eve was tricked into eating a fruit by a talking snake.

Incidentally I'm a Christian with a degree in Theology. I missed being a minister by a gnat's whisker. The OT, particularly Genesis, is better read as parables (I seem to recall another Teacher who used parables to make a point?), Revelation even more so. This post was edited by Slartibartfast at October 27, 2019 11:31 PM MDT
      October 27, 2019 12:40 AM MDT

That’s your argument- “Inspired by“? Is that even an argument?

ALL of man’s holy books fit that SAME criteria to their own believers, but Carbie clearly has no grasp of that whatsoever; but lo, her particular version is surely the correct one - based entirely on the same absence of evidence.
    Belief is not wanting to really know, just acceptance without proof. Not much of a tenable position.

We might guess in the view of someone who still professes the earth is flat, who has never read a modern science book, or knows nothing about the Bible other than SOME chosen bits of what’s written in it, “inspired by“ could qualify as an argument.

But it is not. What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.  

This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 27, 2019 1:12 PM MDT
      October 27, 2019 12:22 PM MDT

Carbie completely missed/ignored your points. 
      October 27, 2019 2:30 PM MDT

Uh, Trump is already president---the time for planning is over; action is now required.
      October 27, 2019 1:13 PM MDT

It strikes me that the cleanup will be substantial. 
      October 27, 2019 2:26 PM MDT

Perhaps we can get the US declared a disaster area.
      October 28, 2019 3:29 PM MDT

October 27, 2019 3:21 PM MDT

Do you want to make God laugh?  Tell Him YOUR plans.
      October 27, 2019 3:27 PM MDT