Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » In your opinion, is it a good thing or a bad thing when you can look at a scene in a movie and immediately recognize that it’s CGI*? ~

In your opinion, is it a good thing or a bad thing when you can look at a scene in a movie and immediately recognize that it’s CGI*? ~

*Computer-Generated Imagery, the modern-day version of what used to be called “Special Effects”.

Posted - October 19, 2019

Responses

Good.
    I like it when I can easily determine the difference between reality and fantasy.

(And I know that opens up swathes of potential and interesting debate.)
      October 20, 2019 12:14 AM MDT

Indeed it does. Most movies are fantasies formed in the film-writer's minds.
      October 20, 2019 8:42 AM MDT

It saddens and excites me all at the same time. 
    Addressing the first, I like the thought of a Movie Star.  Not necessarily the few we have going on right now. Most are posing as movie stars because of their trendy looks, daddy's name, or great agents.  I mean movie stars that were trained and naturally talented in more than one area. 
    Most needed to know how to tap dance and ballroom dance. They needed exceptional voices to sing and they needed to have the ability to act with limited resources, in various situations, at all times.  That wasn't enough.  They had to have the physical looks and abilities to most anything. And last but not least, they needed to play well with others.  It was a glamorous life but a tough one.  They were Real.  Some of those people you could idol.  Lauren Bacall comes to mind.

The worst invention was photoshop. Allowing the general public to know about it was a criminal act.  You never know if you are seeing the real thing or not.  It is very sad not to trust what you see.  I don't like it at all.
    On the flip side, I admire the actors today who can act to only a green screen.  It must be really difficult.  A talent I'm not sure I would be good at.  They must have great imaginations to do such a feat.  And with CG, we get incredible movies like Avatar which we would never have dreamed of in the age of Casablanca.

I'm excited to see new movies because they are so believable.  I love the look and admire the people who make them.

Still, I like to believe what I see is real.  Now-a-days, I don't believe anything. 

October 20, 2019 2:15 AM MDT

Great answer, a compelling conversation-starter. Thanks!
    ~
      October 20, 2019 8:43 AM MDT

CGI?
      October 20, 2019 7:50 AM MDT

*Computer-Generated Imagery, what used to be called “Special Effects”.

Thanks, Pal. I’ve edited the post to clarify. 
    ~
      October 20, 2019 8:31 AM MDT

Thanks.
      October 20, 2019 8:40 AM MDT

Neither good nor bad as long as it is entertaining. Is that bottom GIF from 'The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra'?
      October 20, 2019 8:44 AM MDT

I’m not sure of which movie it is; I’d have to research it. I assumed it was “Jason and the Argonauts”.  
    ~
      October 20, 2019 8:46 AM MDT

You are probably right. I forgot, 'The lost Skeleton...' was B&W. Funny, too.
      October 20, 2019 9:29 AM MDT

It’s “The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad”.
    ~
      October 20, 2019 9:43 AM MDT