Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Why do ships captains need to weigh their Anchors every time they want to go to see....if they wrote it down after weighing it once ~~~~~

Why do ships captains need to weigh their Anchors every time they want to go to see....if they wrote it down after weighing it once ~~~~~

~~~~~ Shirley thst would save a lot of thyme wasting.   :( 

Posted - October 20, 2019

Responses

Don't call me Shirley.
      October 20, 2019 10:39 PM MDT

I always thought you were a no'tail ,like me.....sorry :( 
      October 20, 2019 10:51 PM MDT

First of all, I didn't know they did.  Second, you ask a darn good question.
    I can't imagine someone coming aboard while they are docked and carting off some boats anchor.  The ol' your anchor is better than mine, trick.  No. 
    I can't imagine it gaining or losing any weight while it is out of the water.  I've never heard of an anchor liking cheesecake or anything fattening.
    Maybe if the captain picked up a heavy load, before he sails, he needs to see if the weight of the anchor will still hold the added weight on the boat?
    It's just a guess but it might be the reason??
      October 21, 2019 12:53 AM MDT

They don't literally weigh the weight of the anchor on scales.

Rather, the term is seaman's jargon meaning to heave up an anchor in preparation for sailing.

It probably arose from the fact that anchors had to be hauled up by hand or winch and were very heavy.

I used to sail with my Dad as a kid and was often given the job of hauling up the smallish anchor for his Crown, a wooden ketch.
    The weight could feel quite different if there was a current, tide or seaweed giving it more heft.
      October 22, 2019 1:43 AM MDT

Thank you for clarifying the term, the physical act, and where it came from, Bookworm.
    As Nice Jugs might say, "It's a weight off my shoulders."
    Really!  I have opportunities to go sailing often and would feel foolish if someone brought it up and I didn't know.

I've said it before and will, no doubt, say it again.  It is amazing what you can learn on answerMug.  When you think you are here to play with your friends and have fun, BAM!  You learn something new!  Too Cool!
    Anchors Away!!
    :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at October 22, 2019 7:39 AM MDT
      October 22, 2019 7:38 AM MDT

I think it has something to do with barnacles - if a anchor gets too many barnacles on it - it will be too heavy and break the chain. Cheers!
      October 22, 2019 8:22 AM MDT

I'm sure you must already know this but it means they pull up the anchor. 
      October 23, 2019 8:37 PM MDT