Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » To what extent, if any, is Facebook complicit in the rise of authoritarianism around the world?

To what extent, if any, is Facebook complicit in the rise of authoritarianism around the world?

Posted - November 2, 2019

Responses

Yes. 
    ~
      November 2, 2019 11:05 AM MDT

I'd say not very. I could be wrong however! My reasoning behind that statement, is that I don't think that Facebook is either that influential and that I have seen as much, if not more,  anti-authoritarian stuff as pro.  So, while we may, or may not be fans of FB, I don't think, in this respect, it's that bad. 
      November 2, 2019 11:51 AM MDT

• A very large portion of it.  Popular social media sites in general play a large part in the current social dysfunction of the days.  They actively encourage hostility and dysfunction as a business model to get clicks.  They actively encourage hate and distrust.
      November 2, 2019 7:15 PM MDT

I agree. Much like the producers of “reality” television programs, who manipulate and mold their subjects into situations of contrived strife and exaggerated controversy in order to increase dramatic perceptions, “social” media needs anti-social misbehavior.   Tension and negativity get much higher ratings than do harmony and mutual respect. 
    ~
      November 2, 2019 8:01 PM MDT

• Exactly. The algorithms are intentional designed to instigate peoples deepest biases, hatreds, and fears I order to trigger them into posting and continue reading.

Someone here is trying to imply these platforms don't have much influence. BS,   they are the most influential outlets around these days.  News and information is dominated by them.  For many they ate the primary news and information sources or at least an equal secondary one.
      November 2, 2019 8:08 PM MDT