Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How much money worldwide do you think is wasted by consumers on household or personal items bought by mistake?

How much money worldwide do you think is wasted by consumers on household or personal items bought by mistake?

* I‘m specifically referring to individuals, not companies nor governments. 

** This does not include the subsequent step of returning items for a refund, it just covers the initial outlay of money that is later discovered to have been needless. Read on, please. 

I recently spent a fairly moderate yet still significant amount of money buying one set of item that I thought I needed, and a similar amount special ordering another set of items that were not available in the brick-and-mortar store. After a day or two, I found out that the last time I had needed these items, about six or eight months ago, I had anticipated saving money and time by buying extras then, which I stored away for safekeeping. Unfortunately, being forgetful, I didn’t remember the stash. So here I am with doubles, and even more on the way when the special order package arrives. 
  All of this promoted my question. Do you think companies’ profit margins are boosted by outbreaks of knuckleheads like me who spend wantonly on unneCesar’s goods?

~

Posted - November 5, 2019

Responses

I keep buying hair conditioner that has a bottle identical to shampoo.  Good thing is - I'm loosing my hair and don't need much shampoo anyway.
      November 5, 2019 11:41 PM MST

(loosing losing)
      November 6, 2019 5:14 AM MST

I feel like a loser!
      November 6, 2019 8:27 AM MST

You shouldn't have to feel that way, at lesst you're not loose; it could be worse . . . 

~
      November 6, 2019 8:55 AM MST

Why do you think stores put oddball things on sale?    Such as 'buy 4 deodorants and get the 5th one free".  Yet, by the time you've used the first one you've forgotten about the other 4.  So you go to the store to buy more, only to find the deodorant is now 'buy 3 and get 1 free' (what a deal!).  So you buy 4 more.  Now you have 8 units of deodorant.
      November 5, 2019 11:44 PM MST

If you take into account, bhwilson's hair conditioner and lovely shuhak who will never have a flea or smell unpleasant for eternity (or at least another 8 years), and add it to your now, very prepared cementing project, worldwide, I'm betting 7 to 10 billion dollars a year. 
    We are all consumer goofballs at times!

November 6, 2019 3:58 AM MST

I find that I often buy a book I have already read because I get a notice from Amazon that the books is available.  I have taken to entering the books I buy on a spreadsheet which I consult before I order anything.  What I do like about Amazon is that on the two or three occasions this has happened, they have credited the cost but not required me to return the book.  
      November 6, 2019 10:06 AM MST

If I am average, which is highly unlikely, not very much.  I can only think of one instance.
      November 6, 2019 1:29 PM MST

The worldwide part of your question threw me off.  Sorry. I didn't grasp the real question.
    Me personally?  I'm more of the, "if I can't find it in the constant remodeling distress our house is under and doesn't cost more than 20 bucks, I'll buy a new one," sort of consumer. 
    I figure two is better than one because chances are I will need it again.  
    It also lowers the chances of losing it by 50%.  Then again, it does create more clutter which has proven to be one of the added problems.
    A circle of consuming, for one reason or another, is constantly happening in our home.
    UGH!!
    Personally, about 100 bucks a year.

I am not smiling about this horrifying realization.

Thanks Randy for the awakening. 
    Now I am smiling! ;) :)
      November 6, 2019 1:51 PM MST

$7,576,792,044. That's in dog dollars.
      November 6, 2019 4:30 PM MST

Big Smiles!  What about cat years or are they the same as humans?
      November 7, 2019 1:28 AM MST