Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How much warning would we get if a nuclear missile were headed for Los Angeles or New York City?

How much warning would we get if a nuclear missile were headed for Los Angeles or New York City?

An ICBM can travel approximately 6200 miles and takes between 30-35 minutes to do so

Moscow to New York City is 4664 miles
North Korea to New York City is 6672 miles

Moscow to Los  Angeles is 6066 miles
North Korea to Los Angeles is 5806 miles

Now we wait and see which hostile enemy will nuke us first. Russia or North Korea? Your best guess?

Posted - November 29, 2019

Responses

Depends on the missile type, and launch location.

A submarine sitting off the coast?  
    What if they just use a nuclear torpedo, rather than a missile?

There's word that the Chinese have stealth cruise missiles.
    We suspect the Russians are working on nuclear-powered cruise missiles.
    If either of those were used, we would have little (if any) warning.

I highly doubt any nation, no matter how insane their leader, would use a nuke as a "first strike" option.
    It would have to be such an overwhelming attack, that there would be NO retaliation.
    And such an attack would result in a "nuclear winter", so even that scenario wouldn't be a winner.

The more frightening scenario is ... "Rods of God" (RoG).
    These are satellite-launched tungsten rods, that use kinetic energy to hit like a nuke but with no radiation.
    And there is no way to stop them.
    It uses railgun technology, which we know the Chinese are developing (as we are).

This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at November 30, 2019 6:03 AM MST
      November 29, 2019 10:48 AM MST

Good golly! Good grief!. Geez Walt! So it's way way worse than I imagined. Not so good. RoG? Rosie G?
    Setting that aside are the Chinese scientists smarter than us? How come they are working on this stuff and we aren't? No STAR WARS hood over the US to protect us from incoming? Hawaii is out there all alone on its own and I worry...my son lives in Honolulu as I think you. Alaska can see Russia from her door so a hop skip and a jump and KABOOM there goes Alaska! Well no radiation is a good thing right? If you survive the blowing up part. Progress should not include better ways to kill. Should it? I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Walt. More new info. I know more now than I did before I read your answer. Two-edged sword. Being more knowledgeable means you know more that can worry you. Sheesh.
      November 30, 2019 6:09 AM MST

I think the Chinese are working on railguns as coastal batteries.
    American scientists are working on railguns as Naval ship guns.
      December 2, 2019 7:33 AM MST

What WARNING would be enough?  Where do we go? 
      December 2, 2019 7:57 AM MST

I would make a bunker for it quickly ....you can join me if to can and are clever enough or have the correct glue.....there is no point in us both coming unstuck when something nasty hits the fan ...hehe 
      December 2, 2019 8:13 AM MST

NOne, they would not want the public  to panic, unless of course you were a friend of someone in the know and they believed you could circumspectly do something about it. 
      December 2, 2019 8:28 AM MST