Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » Is it "DRIVE SAFE" or "DRIVE SAFELY"?

Is it "DRIVE SAFE" or "DRIVE SAFELY"?

Posted - December 3, 2019

Responses

If "drive" is a noun, as in "computer hard drive", then the correct construction is drive safe.

If "drive" is a verb referring to the act of driving, then the correct construction is drive safely.

P.S. I like the song. This post was edited by SaltyPebble at December 3, 2019 10:03 PM MST
      December 3, 2019 9:48 PM MST

One thousand percent right.  
      December 3, 2019 10:03 PM MST

I always say drive safe. Cheers!  
      December 3, 2019 9:51 PM MST

It would appear you did not have the ABC television network in the 1970s, or you would probably phrase that differently...

December 3, 2019 9:56 PM MST

I did have ABC in the 70's but I only watched the Partridge Family because I was in love with Danny's mom.  Cheers!
      December 3, 2019 10:09 PM MST

I took a brief look at some (very safe for work) pictures of Shirley Jones circa her Partridge Family days.  I can see the appeal....
      December 4, 2019 7:27 AM MST

Drive is a verb.  Safely is an adverb.  It modifies a verb, a noun or another adverb.  I don't know if safe works.  I can't get my head around what part of speech is safe now.  
      December 3, 2019 9:58 PM MST

It doesn't really matter how its said as long as they make it home alive. Cheers!
      December 3, 2019 10:01 PM MST

Of course, dear.  Of course.  
      December 3, 2019 10:05 PM MST

Not all languages distinguish between adjectives and adverbs the way English does. Also, it seems to me that the distinction between some adjective and adverb forms (such as "safe" and "safely") has weakened over the past few decades, at least in common everyday usage.
      December 3, 2019 10:03 PM MST

Everyone shouts it to each other at work and it always hits me wrong.  I keep wanting to say SAFELY.  
      December 3, 2019 10:06 PM MST

That's probably a generational thing.  We old birds who had Mrs. McClure for 8th-grade English (or whomever was the equivalent in your schooling) weren't allowed to say or write "drive safe" without an admonishment.  But damn kids these days ain't taught proper...ly....
      December 4, 2019 7:26 AM MST

The word "drive" is both a verb and a noun.
    drive

/driv/

verb

• 1. operate and control the direction and speed of a motor vehicle: "he got into his car and drove off"synonymsoperate, pilot, steer, handle, manage, ... moreguide, direct, navigate, travel by car, go by car, motor, informal:travel on wheels, tool along, bowl along, spinantonymswalk
    • (of a motor vehicle) travel under the control of a driver: "a car drives up, and a man gets out"
    • own or use (a specified type of motor vehicle): "Sue drives an old Chevy"
    • be licensed or competent to drive a motor vehicle: "I take it you can drive?"
    • convey (someone) in a vehicle, especially a private car: "Shelley drove him to the supermarket"synonymschauffeur, run, give someone a lift, take, bring, ... moreferry, transport, convey, carry
    • 2. propel or carry along by force in a specified direction: "the wind will drive you onshore"synonymspower, propel, move, push
    • (of wind, water, or snow) move or fall with great force: "the snow drove against him"
    • (of a source of power) provide the energy to set and keep (an engine or piece of machinery) in motion: "turbines driven by steam"
    • (of a device) power or operate (another device): "the interface can be used to drive a printer"
    • force (a stake or nail) into place by hitting or pushing it: "nails are driven through the boards"synonymshammer, screw, ram, bang, pound, ... moresink, plunge, thrust, stab, propel, knock, send
    • bore (a tunnel): "an engineer suggested driving a tunnel through the Judean hills"
    • (in ball games) hit or kick (the ball) hard with a free swing of the bat, racket, or foot.
    • strike (a ball) from the tee, typically with a driver: "I'm driving the ball really well and my irons are good"
    • 3. urge or force (animals or people) to move in a specified direction: "they drove a flock of sheep through the center of the city"synonymsimpel, urge, press, move, get going, ... moreherd, roundup, shepherd
    • compel to leave: "troops drove out the demonstrators"
    • 4. (of a fact or feeling) compel (someone) to act in a particular way, especially one that is considered undesirable or inappropriate: "he was driven by ambition"synonymsforce, compel, constrain, impel, press, ... moreprompt, precipitate, catapult, oblige, coerce, make, pressure, goad, spur, prod
    • bring (someone) forcibly into a specified negative state: "the thought drove him to despair"
    • force (someone) to work to an excessive extent: "you're driving yourself too hard"synonymswork, exert, push, tax, overwork, ... moreovertax, overburden
    • cause (something abstract) to happen or develop:"the consumer has been driving the economy for a number of years"

noun

December 4, 2019 9:59 AM MST

I know.

I know this. 

So, is it drive safely or drive safe?  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 4, 2019 9:33 PM MST
      December 4, 2019 10:00 AM MST

If "drive" is used as a verb, I would use "safely."  I don't know the reason why other than it sounds proper.
      December 4, 2019 10:08 AM MST

It sounds PROPER because it is modifying a verb.  
      December 4, 2019 10:10 AM MST

The language is changing.

I would use "drive safely" because that was correct grammar when I was growing up - and I believe it still is.

But "drive safe" has become such a common colloquialism that it seems to have become accepted usage.

I found this on Quora (which is often right but not always):
    'Safe' is an adjective, a noun and an adverb. 
    Safe, when it's used as an adverb, is referred to as a flat adverb. (It's an adverb that has the same form as its related adjective.)
    (Hence, 'arrived safe' and 'arrived safely' are both correct.
      December 3, 2019 11:49 PM MST

Arrived is a verb.  

Drive is a verb.

Safely is the correct answer.  Since when is safe an adverb? 
      December 4, 2019 10:11 AM MST

Who cares? Say either one to me and you will get a sarcastic reply. Why do people think I have to be told how to drive? I don't know why this irks me so much, but it does.
      December 4, 2019 5:21 AM MST

The question is not who cares.  

FAIL.
      December 4, 2019 10:01 AM MST

Again, Sharonna, pot/kettle
      December 4, 2019 5:03 PM MST

I guess we‘re all supposed to know that only YOU are allowed to Burt out the “who cares” doctrine. 

:|
      December 4, 2019 9:35 PM MST

Safely.

~

December 4, 2019 6:05 AM MST

Drive safely.
    Be safe.
      December 4, 2019 10:02 PM MST