Discussion » Questions » Travel » What are some amenities in hotel rooms of which you never take advantage?

What are some amenities in hotel rooms of which you never take advantage?

Mine are: mini bar, shoe shine service, air conditioning, Gideon Bible*, local telephone calls**, blow dryer, adult movie options, coffeemaker***.

*To be fair, this doesn't truly belong in the ‘never’ column, because once about twenty years ago or so when I was staying in a hotel room, I cracked one open.

**Once again, decades ago I’m sure I may have used a hotel phone to make a local call. 

***Please don’t tell Just Asking; I would rather not hear all the nagging again. Sheesh.

~

Posted - December 13, 2019

Responses

I stayed somewhere recently that actually had good pillows, but still used my own. I don't bring a bag, but do bring wipes and the remote is one of the first things I sanitize! :)
      December 20, 2019 7:43 PM MST

Anything that costs extra.
      December 14, 2019 10:44 AM MST

Cheap. 

Reported. 
    ~
      December 14, 2019 12:20 PM MST

Frugal.
      December 14, 2019 1:16 PM MST

I use as little as possible.  I hate hotels.  If I am to be there for an extended time I have a tub of Clorox wipes and clean the room well.  The bedspread becomes the floor between the front door and bath room.  I am never barefoot.  If I know I will have to stay for a while I take my own sheets and towels.  My husband used to say that when with me, every trip was a camping trip.  

I just like things the way I like them.  
      December 14, 2019 6:12 PM MST

I can only agree with you....you can pick up verrucas and warts in your feet...The most expensive hotels are a great way to get bed bug form people's luggage traveling from God knows where they have been.. It's how bird flu gets around the world in a day or so now....all transported by planes and ships so quickly 
      December 14, 2019 9:52 PM MST

Believe it or not, I read that as "anxieties in hotel rooms" and now I can't get back to your actual question.
    :)

Image result for anxious man

Non-answer : Reported
    :)

December 20, 2019 7:50 PM MST

I used to have to stay in reasonable-quality hotels for work purposes from time to time.

Mini-bar: never seen one, nor a coffee- maker as such,  but I did use the kettle and beverages selection. Though I did wish they'd fit slightly longer leads to the kettles!

Shoe-shine service: never seen that offered either.

Air-conditioning. Not there. Not necessary in the places I used, in the prevailing climate. If it was hot I'd just open the window.

Gideon Bible. I am not religious but did find the archaeological chapter in the front of the book, interesting. Not all the hotels I used provided them anyway.

Blow dryer. I don't use hair-dryers.

Telephone: Very occasionally.

"Adult movies": I can think of far more interesting and entertaining material, but I was never able to either watch the TV nor listen to the radio, even if that was available. I have no TV so have no idea how to use the remote controllers and of course, the hotels never left the instructions!

On one trip I succeeded in de-tuning the bed-and-breakfast home's entire TV system by trying to use the remote. I was in a room not normally used by guests, and unknown to me its television was a master set for the whole house. My attempts to turn the set on using first one remote then the other failed, so I switched it off and left it, totally unaware of what I had done! (One remote for the TV, the other, I learnt later, was for a video recorder. In fact I had guessed that, but could not identify which was which.)    

'

I always used the offered shampoo - I (well, my employer's customer) was paying for it after all! And keep the left-overs, knowing the staff would throw those away and put full bottles in for the next guest. And NO, I did NOT steal towels!

January 9, 2020 10:44 AM MST