Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Apparently it's up to me to solve the climate crisis (see description). How do I deal with that much responsibility?

Apparently it's up to me to solve the climate crisis (see description). How do I deal with that much responsibility?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/environment/article/Could-putting-pebbles-on-beaches-help-solve-14911295.php

At least I get to hang out at the beach...

Posted - December 17, 2019

Responses

You think that hard, I'm still trying to work my way through the Climax crisis the world seems to be stuffing from when each knight can't get his amour off to a good start...:)D 
      December 17, 2019 6:59 PM MST

That's our NJ, always thinking with her...um, I'm not sure what part of feminine anatomy serves the parallel function as the male meat-and-two-veg when it comes to subverting higher cognitive processes....
      December 17, 2019 8:38 PM MST

Her chesticles?
      December 17, 2019 8:43 PM MST

This answer can't be beaten..... I thought I'd Nip this in the bud befire you get started on me two'gether....:(
      December 17, 2019 9:06 PM MST

My emy eyes are up here ,but apparently as I'm blonde ,my brains nowhere to be found.....I think my parents though I had a dirty mind and they forgot to put it back after washing....:( 
    Im sure the THING you're referring to is part of their noses.....it's like their very own personal stiller dog that likes nothing more then being petted when let off its leash and free to roam.....
    Its Ivor that or the dreaded a Trouser Snake they have lost control over ,yet again...:( 
      December 17, 2019 9:16 PM MST

Clearly your post is intended to be light hearted, but if that is what it takes to motivate people to wrap their minds around what is happening, the planetary disaster unfolding in front of our collective eyes, then we should all begin to think in this way. It is apparent none of the old, rich, white protestant men who populate the govts of first world countries ever will, until the part of the public that votes actually demands that they do. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 18, 2019 9:23 AM MST
      December 17, 2019 8:23 PM MST

To speak seriously, I think we're doomed.

I don't think humanity will die out (though it's possible). But I think we are headed for a period of severe economic and social disruption as climate change redraws where humans can build cities, grow food, find potable water, etc., and those who are negatively affected by the consequences start forcibly demanding that those who have potable water, arable land, not-flooded cities, etc. share those resources with the dispossessed. 

Moreover, I believe we as a species have delayed action long enough that even if we agreed tomorrow "By gum, we gotta do sumthin' 'bout climate change", the amount of effort and resources it would require to reshape how we live our lives would cause social and economic disruption on the same order of magnitude as the likely reaction to climate change.

But maybe with enough cockatoos on the beaches...
      December 17, 2019 8:35 PM MST

Whatever we can do to keep this in the light of discussion at this point, is a baby step in a better direction. 

That said, the future is more grim with every passing month that we watch, and talk without acting. Denying the problem is no longer tenable, yet see who still does.
    The symptoms are legion, and worsening; the causes are well-documented; and the fallout that we are only just beginning to calculate, is all but inevitable now.  

Now look what sucks the oxygen out of the front pages and lead stories in every news source: politics. The machinations of bloviating cartoons who noisily accomplish nothing.
    If ever there were an obvious formula for mass human disaster, we are seeing it in the dystopia we stupidly choose for ourselves.

This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 18, 2019 9:24 AM MST
      December 17, 2019 9:04 PM MST

No, Don.  No. It was clearly intended to stir up passion.  Which worked.   Ideas are flying all over the place from this light question maybe meant in fun.  It is on all our minds now.  And most think it is too late.  If Trump wins through again?  We are then looking for a miracle. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 18, 2019 5:15 AM MST
      December 18, 2019 2:35 AM MST

Here's some help.

December 17, 2019 11:06 PM MST

Thanks, we can use all the assistance we can get...
      December 17, 2019 11:36 PM MST

Oh you GOT Pebbles Flintstone ref.  I was unaware if you cockatoos engaged in the Flintstone lore.

Thank you for the PICK.  I really think I guilted you into this pick, but thank you.  LOL  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 18, 2019 6:00 PM MST
      December 18, 2019 2:30 AM MST

Yes, we cockatoos tend to live a long time (although we never mature beyond the rough equivalent of a 4-year-old child...)

Also, I felt you did the best job of capturing the spirit of the question with your answer, so your Asker's Pick was fully deserved.
      December 18, 2019 7:03 AM MST

It's up to me - every me.
    We're all in this together and every drop of right or wrong action makes a difference.

Each of us can make changes for the better by changing our lifestyle habits.
    Most of us now know which habits need to change.
      December 18, 2019 9:29 AM MST