Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Whether you believe in Christmas or not, have you invited a lonely person to share time and food with you on Christmas Day? who?

Whether you believe in Christmas or not, have you invited a lonely person to share time and food with you on Christmas Day? who?

Or if you would have been alone, have you accepted an invitation to spend time with a friend, neighbour or community group?
Who invited you? What are they like?

Posted - December 22, 2019

Responses

Each year mostly we all convuldge on my parents home and we all muck in with everything...it's a madhouse where mayhem rages endlessly ...I loose count with how many kids turn up ,it seems to increase yearly...:) 
      December 22, 2019 4:10 PM MST

oh GOD NO.  I would rather not.  I am not good at entertaining that kind of person. I feel like they are too needy and want more.  I mean what am I supposed to do when we are done, make them go home or to no home?  No thank you.  Not my forte'.
      December 22, 2019 4:50 PM MST

Ya a few times the last guy we invited might of been lonely but he had a jolly good appetite which made my Christmas a bit better because I love watching people enjoy a special meal. Cheers and Merry Christmas! This post was edited by Nanoose at December 22, 2019 4:58 PM MST
      December 22, 2019 4:57 PM MST

• It is probably a bit ridiculous to stop by a member's post and then not give a full answer to the question asked so I apologize for not going into any extravagant detail. Usually I am rather wordy with some of the replies I make in these forums. On this topic however, I quietly wish not to name the things I do in my effort to show compassion for others be it at this seemingly special time of year or any other, but yes I do continually try to happily extend kindness to others above and beyond expected minimal requirements. I only resist sharing these altruistic gestures here so as not to sound prideful and boasting. I playfully have a pretty big ego and often like to joke in a manner that reflects such but some things one does just because its the right thing to do, and not for any sort of notoriety. Doing for others warms my heart and is where I often find true joy. To be humble. To love others. To have the heart of a servant comes with many rewards. Few of them are physical in nature but rather they are gifts of the spirit and it feels so good when my spirit takes flight and soars amidst any joy brought forth and given to others.

As far as being alone goes, this year neither Jon "The Goat" nor I will be a party of one for we have been graciously given the gift of each other. We have each been endowed with a heart filled by love and we are both privileged to see and hear and feel it pour out unrestrained over one another.  I am drenched and happy to drown in oceans of this emotion. I wish for such warmth and comfort, and bliss to wash over everyone.

1 Corinthians  chapter 13 verse 1-8

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails.

Lord, lead me today to those I need and to those who also need me
    and please I pray let the things I do have some eternal significance
    in the name of love, for the glory of you.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 23, 2019 6:57 AM MST
      December 22, 2019 7:18 PM MST

I remember it. It was the official reading of the boarding school I went to as a teenager, the one we heard most frequently at morning assembly.
    St Paul's letter to the Galations - "faith, hope and charity, but the greatest of these is charity" 
    And by charity he didn't mean giving money to charities; he meant unconditional loving-kindness at every opportunity in every aspect of life.

I'm sorry - I'd forgotten about the modesty factor. I agree that it could sound quite odd to hear someone boasting about their acts of kindness - one would start wondering. It was quite stupid of me.

I'll wait until you've had a chance to see this reply - and then I'll delete the question.

As for you and Jonny Goat - I'm utterly thrilled that you and he have found each other. You share similar values and you are both highly creative and intelligent. It seems like a perfect match to me and I wish you both a long and happy life together. Love is divine.
      December 23, 2019 7:06 AM MST