Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Have you ever lived in a place that had no law enforcement entity of its own? If so, what size community or town was it? ~

Have you ever lived in a place that had no law enforcement entity of its own? If so, what size community or town was it? ~

There was a small town nearby my hometown that was patrolled by sheriff’s deputies from the neighboring county. 

Posted - December 23, 2019

Responses

County law enforcement has jurisdiction throughout the county, so areas not covered by city LE departments will received county services.  I live in an area with about 55,000 people but we are not incorporated and are served (very well) by the county. 

When it comes to law enforcement some people have the mistaken idea that when they are within city limits the county sheriff has no jurisdiction; that is incorrect.
      December 24, 2019 1:18 AM MST

Yes,it's a place called England.....We don't have as such an actual police force anymore, we have a company instead that sole game if to take and make money from the most trivial infractions of laws solely designed to take the publics money......
    How can any police force be allowed to keep the money they make in fines .......they just become an armed Militia  when they stoop that low..... Our local councils /local government do exactly the same thing to...
     My grandfather calls them a "necessary evil"   I don't think he is wrong...
      December 24, 2019 1:52 AM MST

Sort of. I lived in a county island for several years. My address was listed as being part of the city, but that city didn't serve us in any capacity. I had a well, septic tank, and private trash removal company. Law enforcement was technically the county sheriff, but I honestly never saw them in my area once in all the years I lived out there. I have no idea how many people were in the same boat as me. I lived at the base of a mountain and there was roughly a 1.5 mile stretch of buildable land being used primarily as horse property. There had to have been at least 300 homes in that stretch. 

My hometown was kind of the same. There are about 2,000 households there. No police, but it has county coverage. The fire department is made up of volunteers who work other jobs. 

There's an area east of me that's growing rapidly and a friend of mine lives out there. She said there as some kind of buy-in program for services. If you wanted police and fire from the next town over, you had to pay a monthly fee. She opted not to. If her home and her neighbor's catch fire, they'll put out the fire at her neighbor's because they pay, but they'll watch hers burn. O_o
      December 25, 2019 5:34 PM MST