Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do you just barge right in, or do you knock first and then wait for permission to enter?

Do you just barge right in, or do you knock first and then wait for permission to enter?

~

Posted - January 2, 2020

Responses

All of the offices at work have glass doors, so you can see who's in there.  If it looks as though the meeting is private, I will wait and come back unless it's urgent.  Anywhere private, I will knock and wait to be invited in.
      January 2, 2020 7:27 AM MST

What a bummer to have all glass.  Then again, if you work in the legal department, it would be best.
    No doing drugs or slipping a note under the desk, or a slip of the leg rubbing a person you would like to persuade....
    You must share with everyone!!
    Big Winks and Smiles.
    I have never worked in a legal office.  I don't know what goes on there.  I do like glass doors.  I have a few myself!
    :) :) 
      January 2, 2020 12:49 PM MST

They are only on the attorney's offices and there are designs etched into the center of the door which do allow some privacy.  The secretaries ae in an open horseshoe setting, but there is no privacy for us at all.  I don't care other than when someone is on the phone or talking, it can be distracting if you're trying to concentrate.
      January 2, 2020 1:58 PM MST

Depends on where I am at. Parent's house, Grandparent's house,  my house, I walk in. 
    Bedrooms always knock.
    Offices knock. 
    I used to work at a Nursing home...we were required to knock before entering any resident's room.
      January 2, 2020 9:54 AM MST

If it's family and I'm expected I knock, open the door, announce myself, then walk in. All others I always knock. If after two or three tries there's no answer I leave. If there's a "Please Do Not Disturb" sign hanging on the doorknob I'll simply walk away. :)
      January 2, 2020 10:35 AM MST

You and I must have attended the same "door rule" camp. :) :)

Your answer is the same as the answer in my head.
    :) :)
      January 2, 2020 12:51 PM MST

rusureamisure has the same response as me.
    Truly a well-mannered person!!

Let's see if I can put it in a scenario:

The front door was closed as I walked down the sidewalk to my parents house.  They knew I was coming so I gave a friendly knock and walked in saying, "Hey! Hey!"  There was no was response so I set down the bottle of wine and went to my sister's room down the hall.  The door was closed.  I knocked and she wasn't there.  That's cool.  I left her door, unopened and ventured further down the hall. At the end is my parents bedroom.  On their door hung the, "do not disturb" sock. 
    With a smile on my face, I walked back to kitchen and opened the bottle of wine.  I knew they would be out in 45 minutes.

They've had a lot of practice.  45 minutes is about right.
    ;) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at January 2, 2020 3:05 PM MST
      January 2, 2020 1:02 PM MST

With your Picture?...walk on by.
      January 2, 2020 3:02 PM MST

I never just barge in.  
      January 2, 2020 5:54 PM MST

• Its rather rude to just barge right in.  I always look for a peephole, or mail slot, or a crack around the door to peer through first.  That lets me see whats going on inside and whether or not I should enter and interrupt or just stay outside the door watching.  I'm very considerate like that.

January 2, 2020 6:29 PM MST