Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » What are some common misconceptions about diet soda? ~

What are some common misconceptions about diet soda? ~

Posted - January 4, 2020

Responses

It has diet in its name so it must be better for you, right?

I have a cousin who's really really overweight.  I think he's about 5'7" and when I saw him at the end of October he was over 350 pounds but he only drinks diet because he says every little bit helps.  When he came to visit me the last time he still only weighed about 320 pounds.  At my house most of our food comes from our garden or a local farm but when my cousin looked in our fridge which was full of homegrown and locally grown food he got a blank look on his face and said there wasn't anything to eat in there so he drove 33 miles to the closest McDonald's and came back with four twenty-piece Chicken McNuggets, two large fries and a case of diet soda he bought at the gas station.   Umm, I don't think that diet soda's really helping at all!

He had everything on the buffet at Pizza Ranch several times over and then he mentioned that he got a diet soda because he had to make a healthy choice. .  

If you're going to Pizza Ranch that's already your first unhealthy choice so might as well just be honest about it and have a regular soda but Mom gave me a dirty look for giving him that look when he said that about having a diet soda.  My mom's another one who thinks diet soda is good for you.  I'll never understand why. 

This post was edited by Livvie at January 5, 2020 9:02 AM MST
      January 5, 2020 12:35 AM MST

True through and through. 
    ~
      January 5, 2020 8:00 AM MST

That it helps you lose weight.

The toxins in that product alone, plus the fake sugar all contribute to weight gain.  You hardly ever see people drinking that swill who actually have lost weight with it.  EVER.  It cannot be done.  Because the body puts up moisture against toxins.  You bloat because of that stuff. And you retain water as a buffer for those toxins.  Plus it is highly acid.  The body needs things closer to alkaline ph or higher.  NOT ACID.  You can eat lemons and acidic fruits but they do not cause acid in the body, so they are safe.  Purifying, actually.  But diet coke, for example, will not make a skinny person fat, necessarily, but they will feel a bloat if they are addicted to it.  Maybe in the stomach or on the face under the eyes.  The water will show up somewhere.  And that insulin will soar if you have acid in your system.  So, it is NO GOOD.  

That it tastes good.   I have never found a diet soda that tasted good ever.  ILK.  Perrier Water is good.  Squeeze some fruit into that.  That is delicious.

That it quenches your thirst. 
    That's like drinking a cup of old coffee to quench it.  YUK.  Makes for bad breath too.   We need tons of water to flush that stuff out and never drink it again. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 5, 2020 9:02 AM MST
      January 5, 2020 12:42 AM MST

If a truck is carrying more than 1001 pounds of Coca-Cola concentrate these are the signs that need to be on the front, back and sides of the truck:

Mmm, yummy!
      January 5, 2020 1:10 AM MST

Any substance that can be used to eat away the rust and solidified acid on a car‘s battery terminals should never be introduced to one’s innards. Jes’ sayin‘. 
    ~
      January 5, 2020 8:02 AM MST

That is the phosphoric acid in it. Much weaker than vinegar and stomach acid.
      January 5, 2020 9:04 AM MST

Preach it, sister!  Amen!
    ~
      January 5, 2020 8:00 AM MST

That it's healthier than regular soda.
      January 5, 2020 6:02 AM MST

Lol, you’re so right. In my opinion, it’s probably worse than. 
    ~
      January 5, 2020 7:59 AM MST

It is because the artificial sweeteners are all chemicals.
      January 5, 2020 8:19 AM MST

Sugars are chemicals. Everything is chemicals.
      January 5, 2020 9:05 AM MST

Sugar is a natural chemical.  Sweeteners are lab creations.
      January 6, 2020 6:51 AM MST

"You can live off of it, but it tastes like dung." 
      January 5, 2020 8:25 AM MST

First wife before diet Coke...260 pounds.
    First wife after ten years of diet Coke....260 pounds.
      January 5, 2020 9:07 AM MST

• That it's good.  Yuck.  I'd rather drink anti-freeze.
      January 5, 2020 9:14 AM MST

Shaken, not stirred. 
    ~
      January 5, 2020 10:30 AM MST

• By the way.  I saw you gave a thoughtful reply to my comment about the media.  Sorry I haven't responded yet.  Not ignoring you.  It's a good conversation and I wanted to give it my proper headspace. 
      January 5, 2020 11:22 AM MST

Thank you, mon ami, but I don’t take it as a slight at all. I know we’re all busy with our real lives, so if and when there’s no response or a long time gap before a response is entered, I understand completely. It’s gracious and gentlemanly of you to inform me. You’re a prince among men. 

Oh wait, what’s that you say?  AnswerMug is your real life. I see. Well then, please disregard everything I wrote above. 
    ~
      January 5, 2020 11:29 AM MST