Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How would you handle this: You casually ask someone "How ya doin'?"

How would you handle this: You casually ask someone "How ya doin'?"

They start telling you all of their woes, mental and physical issues, losses of family members etc. Do you listen patiently? Hey...you asked.

Posted - January 9, 2020

Responses

• I am actually that person who will sit and listen.  I love talking with people and am endlessly fascinated by time shared with strangers.  I especially love for older seniors to tell the stories of their life.

For me it falls in line with a scripture from the Holy Bible.  Hebrews chapter 13 verse 2 - Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers for by doing so one may be entertaining Angels unaware.
      January 9, 2020 12:34 PM MST

Have I got some stories for you..............Oy veh.
      January 9, 2020 4:10 PM MST

Very nice, yes.
    :)
    I see you as this.
      January 9, 2020 6:40 PM MST

I've had this happen to me more often than I would like, but rather than be rude, I listen and nod every now and then.  
      January 9, 2020 12:53 PM MST

Depends on the time... if i have time a good listen wouldnt hurt... if im shorg of time then a qiick listen ..before i need to go pee...
      January 9, 2020 2:47 PM MST

Yes, I listen patiently.  Who knows, maybe no one else would listen to their woes.  Perhaps by telling me they come away feeling better.  I try to treat others the way I would like them to treat me.
      January 9, 2020 3:07 PM MST

That's a goal for me in life, too.

Image result for the golden rule This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 10, 2020 10:26 AM MST
      January 9, 2020 6:41 PM MST

See Twinkle Dink's answer for my basic answer, too -- except I strongly suspect Twinkle Dink is nicer and a better true listener when it comes to listening/etc.; not that I don't try to be, it's just my minds flies around easily sometimes.
      January 9, 2020 6:39 PM MST

• Welby, trust me, there is no one nicer than you.  BTW, I can see you and I hitting people up unexpectedly and talking endlessly on and on about music.  LOL!
      January 9, 2020 6:54 PM MST

Hey, thanks, Twinkle Dink.

And, OMG, you got that right -- about us talking on and on about music. 
    And if people tire of our talking about music endlessly, we will just talk with each other.

Related image

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at January 10, 2020 10:27 AM MST
      January 9, 2020 7:05 PM MST

About a year ago I ran into someone in Target who I haven't seen since the 80s, and at that time I lived many hundreds of miles from here.  There was just so much to catch up on but I just couldn't do it at that moment.  I gave her a little hug (I AM NOT A HUGGER) and said something like Gosh we have so much to talk about and catch up on but I cannot do that right now.  We exchanged phone numbers and have talked a few times.  She has a winter house down here and is in town right now. I'll see her probably next week.  You have to learn to say what you want.  No.  I am not going to do that.  I don't have time for this.  And on and on.  It seems you have to live half your life before you realize you can say no to anything, well almost anything.   
      January 9, 2020 7:47 PM MST

I'd have them whacked....

January 9, 2020 9:47 PM MST

More often than not somebody asks me. My standard reply is, "Can't complain. No-one listens."
      January 10, 2020 3:12 AM MST

...would probably offer some words of encouragement
    some love and compassion that I was hearing what
    they were saying and understood,
    something they could understand that would help 
    their peace of mind.
      January 10, 2020 7:26 AM MST

• Personally, I would probably listen patiently .. unless they are just whining to whine.

I worked with a woman who ... when someone would tell them how bad their lives are .. would say "Sucks to be you!" and walked away.  Not generally nice, but sometimes necessary.
      January 11, 2020 6:56 AM MST