Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » History » Do you think a history of slavery museum is a good idea?

Do you think a history of slavery museum is a good idea?

</>

Posted - September 19, 2016

Responses

• You could have asked the same question without the misleading manipulation, and.it would have.still been a valid question. This way it just sound like you're just trying a.passive aggressive way to present your view.

WE LIKE!
    VOTE NOT TRUMP!

September 19, 2016 11:30 AM MDT

Just where would this museum be: Rome, Greece, Turkey, Arabia, Britain, America, Nigeria, Brazil?

Where does you research suggest slavery started - and when?

September 19, 2016 11:30 AM MDT

• As long as no one is forced to go to it, sure

September 19, 2016 11:41 AM MDT

Why not a Museum of Hillarys'  and Bills' lies and corruption, Texas is the only state big enough to build it.

September 19, 2016 1:00 PM MDT

Why not it's part of History it all started in Africa and continues to this day.

September 19, 2016 1:02 PM MDT

• It is going to be in NYC.

Maybe that information would be in the museum.

September 19, 2016 1:03 PM MDT

Yes.

Now, on which form of slavery do you wish the museum to be focused. :-)

September 19, 2016 1:50 PM MDT

Wait....we're missing out on a golden opportunity here.   How cool would it be if we forced white (or X group) supremacists to take part in live exhibits. :-)

September 19, 2016 1:52 PM MDT

There has got to be more than one of those already.  

September 19, 2016 2:02 PM MDT

No

September 19, 2016 10:34 PM MDT

Texas might not be big enough for that. It might actually require Alaska which is more than twice the size of Texas.

September 19, 2016 10:50 PM MDT

I think that having a place (or places) where we can examine that part of history in an unbiased and unmisrepresented way is an excellent idea.

We're going to gain/learn nothing from pretending it didn't happen, or only looking at certain parts of it. There's a lot we could learn from it, and I think a (but not necessarily the only) good way to enable that is to have somewhere with stories, artifacts, and the like presented in a publicly accessible, uncensored way.

September 20, 2016 12:04 AM MDT

There are multiple types of slavery still very much alive (sexual slavery jumps right to min), and they are something that needs approaching in a serious way, and I don't think it would be appropriate to have a "museum" of them while they're still such big issues.

September 20, 2016 12:06 AM MDT

That is spherically stupid! I mean it's stupid any way you look at it!

September 20, 2016 2:50 AM MDT

I am certain that history is in the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture.
      September 20, 2016 5:54 AM MDT

September 20, 2016 8:04 AM MDT

• I think they would misinterpret the  whole concept of the museum, Mimitz. 

September 20, 2016 9:30 AM MDT

• Why don't we send the Clintons and the Trumps to Texas, then give the whole damn state back to Mexico.

Problem solved and we be done with it :)

September 20, 2016 10:19 AM MDT

• YES!
    Fantastic!
    That's what people are saying!
    Give em both a Huge bag of.Skittles and put them in the Lobby of the New Museum.
    Embarrassing if you ask me.
    Are we going to have to build a Museum for the Epers? ABers? Redditers?
    Where does it it stop. Fiji? The Shire?
    What about a History of Answer Mug.
    A Museum of the collective Experience.of All citizens without oppression or exalting any group over any other.
    A Museum of what it means to be part of the.greatest country in the.world and not just of the.best race. Whichever that may be.
    A shame I say. Henceforth thus.
    VOTE NOT TRUMP!

September 20, 2016 12:33 PM MDT

Well said that girl!
      January 15, 2018 2:16 PM MST

It started in Mesopotamia - an area that encompassed what are now parts of Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Syria, and Turkey - as early as 1860 BC.
      January 15, 2018 9:54 AM MST

In a hundred and fifty years time, will Muggers have stamped the life out of how awful slavery was, and have moved on to discussing how awful it was back in the early part of the 21st century for so many people to be over-indulging and getting fat and spending money on frivolities and gadgets whist studiously ignoring all their countrymen living homeless or on the breadline, and everyone pretending nothing can be done because you q: 'can't help those people'?
      January 15, 2018 2:13 PM MST

Do most Americans think slavery began in Africa? 
      January 15, 2018 2:01 PM MST

Not if it is solely for telling of the slavery in America. For instance, what ethnic group or nation has held the most individuals in dire servitude ever; in what part of the world are most slaves to be found today. What is preventing the banishment of slavery across the globe in 2018? Why, when hours are spent discussing how awful it is to refer to someone as a Negro (or a Caucasian or an 'Indian'), why are the arbiters of what is right and proper so stunningly silent on large-scale enslavement throughout the world - since they claim a corner in morality?       
      January 15, 2018 9:39 AM MST