Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Why do some people care about the death of celebrities they never personally knew?

Why do some people care about the death of celebrities they never personally knew?

I don’t get it. Help me understand. 

Posted - January 26, 2020

Responses

Human beings are neurologically wired to care about the people they perceive to be in their self-defined community.

Of course, for most of human history the overwhelming majority of people knew almost nothing about people who were not within one day's walk, so people's focus was on families, neighbors, and people within the local area whom they actually met on a regular basis.

With the development of modern media technologies, people can be given the illusion they know someone with whom they have no direct connection, and people can develop emotional attachments to these vicarious relationships.

Go into any supermarket, and you will see multiple magazines devoted to updating the reader on the lives, loves, drug problems, relationship problems, weight problems, etc. of all sorts of people with whom the readers have no direct connection. Yet these magazines sell, and they sell well.

People like stories, and people like stories about other people Why would you read a fiction book, or watch a dramatic movie, or care about the outcome of a sporting event unless you felt some connection and kinship with the protagonists of these stories?

And, of course, when one of these protagonists dies (whether within the fictional story or in real life), the people who felt attachment to the story characters feel that as a loss. Not as intense as a loss of an actual real-life loved one, but a loss nonetheless. This post was edited by SaltyPebble at September 9, 2022 4:10 PM MDT
      January 26, 2020 5:54 PM MST

I didn’t feel sad when my father died, nor when I lost my grandparents or friends, and these were people that were actually close to me. I just find it hard to imagine how people get so consumed by media that it actually creates sadness in them to lose someone that they could still see on video at any point in time. 
      January 26, 2020 5:58 PM MST

Given your atypical reactions to the deaths of people close to you, I'm not sure there is any way to explain how other people react which would be comprehensible to you.

If you are not capable of modeling other people's emotional states within your own mind, there's no way to describe them that will make sense.

Imagine if you couldn't see the color yellow and any object in the world that reflected electromagnetic radiation primarily in the wavelengths 577 to 597 nm looked gray to you. I could try to explain what yellow "looks like" until the cows come home, but without the ability to perceive 577-597nm light as distinct from other wavelengths, the subjective experience of seeing yellow would be a total mystery to you.

I think you are encountering the same problem in understanding other people's emotional reactions.

(H/T psychologist Dan Gilbert for the the "yellow" idea)

January 26, 2020 6:11 PM MST

I suppose you are right. Although I don’t believe my reactions are really all that atypical. There are many that relate to how I react to these issues, just as there are many who don’t. People and their emotional reactions really run the gamut. 
      January 26, 2020 6:15 PM MST

Re: "There are many that relate to how I react to these issues..."

No, I don't believe there are. It is true you will find plenty of people who don't understand why there's all the brouhaha about Kobe Bryant's passing, just as I don't understand why Americans give a crap about what goes on in the British Royal Family.

But that means people don't understand because they don't care about a particular kind of vicarious relationship, not because they don't understand such relationships in general.

A Manchester United fan might be utterly indifferent to Kobe Bryant's passing, but the ManU fan can relate to how it would feel if one of his or her favorite players died in a helicopter crash. And the number who understand being indifferent to the deaths of family or friends will be (on a percentage basis) very very small. Because there are 8 billion people in the world and we have the Internet, you can probably find a fair number of such people, just as I'm sure the database of lottery winners numbers in the thousands. That doesn't make such people common.

I do find it very interesting you wish to believe there are many people who share your lack of empathy and desire to inflict harm on others. I'm not sure what the wish implies, but I'm pretty sure it has significance.

January 26, 2020 7:17 PM MST

I don’t believe there are many who want to harm others, but I do believe there are many who are not torn up by death. I have known many—not just over the internet, but in real life as well. 
      January 26, 2020 7:21 PM MST

I don’t know a way to explain it to you. 
    ~
      January 26, 2020 6:24 PM MST

How does it feel to you? 
      January 26, 2020 6:27 PM MST

“It”?  The fact that some people care about celebrities they never knew, or the fact that I can’t explain it you?

~
      January 26, 2020 6:30 PM MST

I mean, assuming you are the type to care, how does it feel? 
      January 26, 2020 6:32 PM MST

It's complicated, extremely complicated.  In order to answer, there is no quick, easy, nor concise way to do it.

First of all, how to define the concept behind the word "care".  Its dictionary definitions provide an avenue, yet it can also go far beyond academics.  The way your original question is posted, and the way you ask above how does it feel to me, am I the type to care, all beg for broad diatribes in explaining.  For brevity's sake, the word 'empathy' encompasses it quite well.  The death of US basketball star Kobe Bryant on today's date spurned a lot of this conversation, and truth be told, its announcement followed and preceded the announcements of dozens or hundreds of other deaths of people worldwide, people whose deaths did not spurn equally in-depth conversations.  The empathy we 'feel' as human beings when learning of the death of one of our own species is neither curt in its explanation nor easily dismissed, depending, of course, on who has passed on.  Had we learned of the death of an enemy, an opponent, a vile person, our reactions, both mental and emotional, are understandably different than had it been a loved one, a friend, an acquaintance, etc.  Also, none of these considerations are restricted to our own species: often, the death of an animal can bring out very strong emotions in some people.

So you've asked specifically about celebrity deaths, those of celebs not personally known to us.  Having one's name and likeness interjected into our lives on a continual basis often causes an artificial link in the minds of some people to the point that they think they're closer to the famous person than they really are.

If you've already read some of my commentary on the other post where Kobe Bryant's death was first announced here, one of the first things I brought up is the fact that others died in the incident also.  I mentioned that in addition to a famous person, and in this case his 13-year-old daughter was another victim, there are human beings whose names we may have never heard of before who died too.  In some ways, that speaks to a similar idea to your question, wherein you asked about the general reaction to a famous person dying, and I expended upon it by mentioning all the people who had died in this incident.  I originally only knew of 5 deaths in the helicopter crash, I later updated it to 9 deaths.    I'm not a basketball fan at all and I never have been.  I know very little of Kobe Bryant and even less about his 13-year-old daughter, still less about the other 7 victims.

Now to address my own feeling, ask you asked.  I don't know that I assign it to an actual feeling, an emotion, because I separate feelings and thoughts.  When I learned of this particular celebrity dying, I experienced disbelief, shock and surprise in the immediate sense.  I don't know if that's feeling or thought, but I'm willing to bet on the latter.  Did I or do I "care" about the actual person and the actual people who died?  Of course I do, on an empathetic level.  I did not shed a tear nor drop to my knees and bellow to the ceiling while beating my chest and tearing out my hair, "WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY?  Why did You have to take him?  It's too soon, he's too young, he had so much more to do!  It's not fair, it's not fair, it's not right!"  Even though a tragic event has taken place, my everyday life goes on as usual.  People react differently to stimuli.  Some people committed suicide in a copy-cat fashion when Rudolf Valentino, Marilyn Monroe, Curt Cobain and Robin Williams did it.  Some people got tattoos commemorating Tupac Shakur died.  Some people created altars in the homes when Elvis Presley died (well, many of them merely upgraded the existing altars they already had).  Some people rush out and buy all the merchandise they can that is associated with their favorite celebrity when he or she dies.  Some people gather in public vigils or travel to the funeral cite when their favorite celebrity dies.  Others go about their business as usual.  The way people feel, and their actions as a result of it, vary vastly.  If you hear of a torture victim, you may react to the news differently than another person does, right?

In conclusion, the reason I said I can't explain it to you is that it's not easy to explain.  I'm certainly no expert on explaining it, partially because I don't have a deep reaction nor a long-lasting to a celebrity death.  Other people do.  I can't speak for them, so I can't explain it to you.   I think you posed a very, very good question, I really do.  

~

January 26, 2020 7:40 PM MST

I appreciate your long, in-depth answer. Very well said, Randy. 
      January 26, 2020 7:44 PM MST

It's nice to care about others you dont know, even celebrities at times to....but so often when I hear them speak shows 'plus their body language ....it's the biggest turn off ever...so many think themselves as gods gift....

I use to like Jennifer Aniston and Kaley Cuoco until I heard them speak on talk shows....two shallower people would be harder to find I think...
    Money and notoriety does nothing for your personality or what type of person you really are...
      January 26, 2020 6:39 PM MST

But do you actually care, or do you just do it because it is nice? 
      January 26, 2020 6:43 PM MST

I care for people that genuinely care for others, our wildlife and environment......I have little time for greedy parasites that make money out of just using others... 
      January 26, 2020 7:01 PM MST

Why care at all, when you don’t know them? I am just curious. 
      January 26, 2020 7:03 PM MST

Someone has to care for others and what we exist on....how would you feel if you were the only person  in the world or no hospitals or medical care if there was none...
      January 26, 2020 7:07 PM MST

Then I’d either find a way to survive or die in that situation. Obviously someone will care for you—but why would you personally care about a stranger who has no impact on your life? Even doctors get paid. But with no pay, why would it bother you that some guy you’ve seen on TV got smashed? 

I’m not trying to be rude, just want an answer to why people get bothered by this. Not a “You should feel it.” but more of a “Why?” 
      January 26, 2020 7:09 PM MST

I take your point.....one cannot take everyone's problems on board...I wise no one any harm and believe in Pass it on...  Help others when you can and expect nothing in return....some day you will need help with something big or small and you will never feel alone..
      January 26, 2020 7:16 PM MST

You come into this world helpless.....if you live long enough ,you will exit  this world the same way...   If this actually occurs ...only then will everything make sense ....
      January 26, 2020 7:19 PM MST

Young need the elder to survive and eventually those roles will for sure reverse... 
      January 26, 2020 7:22 PM MST

I’m not suggesting we don’t care for our young. Of course I will care for my children and want the best for them. I am just more perplexed by people that are emotionally affected by the deaths of strangers. 
      January 26, 2020 7:24 PM MST

For instance, I think Sir David Attenbourogh is one of the greatest men ever born....he should have been a world leader.....I will be deeply saddened when he dies,yet I've never met him...This man cares and I care for him and yet I've never met him...
    Most likely he is the only man I would really love to meet... 
      January 26, 2020 7:36 PM MST

Well, I can’t relate, but I appreciate your answer. 
      January 26, 2020 7:38 PM MST