Discussion » Questions » Family » Were you punished as a child? How?

Were you punished as a child? How?

Posted - February 4, 2020

Responses

Brutally so. My mom used to drag me upstairs by my hair and beat the crap out of me when she got mad. 
      February 4, 2020 3:09 PM MST

My dad.  Same thing.  
      February 4, 2020 3:10 PM MST

I will never do this to my children. My mom did a lot of good things, but I do wonder if I would not have developed my sadism if I had not felt powerless when I was younger. There are better ways to discipline kids. 
      February 4, 2020 3:12 PM MST

That wasn't spanking.  That was abuse.  We all got something from our parents that maybe we would liked to have repelled.  
      February 4, 2020 6:12 PM MST

Dang...I got lucky. We only got grounded. Mom never laid a hand on me.
      February 4, 2020 3:11 PM MST

You are fortunate. I will not ever lay a hand on my own kids like that. 
      February 4, 2020 3:13 PM MST

It taught me.  For sure.

However, I have done worse things to my daughter than hitting her.  WORSE.  I ignored her almost her whole life at a time when she needed me and I had no clue.  I was so selfish you have no idea. So, me being judgmental to you is a bad joke. I am worse than anyone.  
      February 4, 2020 3:15 PM MST

That is sad too. My mom clearly loved me and was invested in me. I guess we all make mistakes.
      February 4, 2020 3:21 PM MST

The fact that you understand her is amazing to me.  Good for you. Great for you, actually.
      February 4, 2020 3:22 PM MST

The literature says (unless it has changed recently) that those who were spanked as children will spank their children, and that those who were abused would abuse.  I proved that wrong.  Sounds like you will too.
      February 4, 2020 6:14 PM MST

Yes usually a big black leather belt on the butt.
      February 4, 2020 4:36 PM MST

I was and it was pretty brutal I was forced to sit in  a chair for 2 hours while my step dad read his poetry. And it wasn't even the cool rhyming kind it was that Haiku crap. Actually I was regularly beating like a dog but sometimes its easier to remember it as being the poetry thing. My wife was also beating when she was a kid but there is a happy ending - our pain was our kids gain - we never laid a hand on them. Should add that I stole the poetry/punishment bit from a Red Dwarf episode. Cheers! 
      February 4, 2020 5:24 PM MST

Too much and too often. My mother believed in spanking.  I do too, but not like I was spanked.

My kids were model kids.  I had to get on to them, of course.  That is discipline/teaching.  But they never really got into mischief.  I did not hit my children.  Seriously.  The one time with my older daughter was a slap across her face for a smartass junior high mouth that I was not going to have.  She and I both could not believe I slapped her.  We both sat down on the stairs and cried.  I will say, her smart mouth was gone.
      February 4, 2020 6:08 PM MST

I was beaten by my mom, dad, teachers, and baby sitter. mind you this was in the 70's. Teachers could do the whole beating thing anyway.

1. Mom & Dad - leather belt, hands
    2. Teachers - hands, yardstick
    3. baby-sitter - hands, switch (very thin tree branch) This post was edited by Zack at February 5, 2020 7:03 AM MST
      February 4, 2020 6:16 PM MST