Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » For those who have attended a ballet, why?

For those who have attended a ballet, why?

Posted - February 6, 2020

Responses

Because it’s a beautiful form of art and the orchestral scores are often nice. I saw Swan Lake at the Mariinsky in St. Petersburg, Russia. It was absolutely stunning. 
      February 6, 2020 9:45 AM MST

I can only dream of such an opportunity.
    Good for you for absorbing such a performance.
      February 6, 2020 1:17 PM MST

• I have been involved in many ballet productions and I always love it.  I enjoy anything to do with Theatre both on stage or behind the scenes, especially anything that includes dance and music.  I love the artistic expression through movement, the costumes, the symphony, the elaborate sets and props, and I revel in the pomp and circumstance of it all even more so during holiday productions.  Its almost magical.

And too,
    the well toned butt of a male dancer looks great in those skin-tight pants.
      February 6, 2020 10:10 AM MST

I agree with all your admirations.  I have never been behind the scenes.  I've only been the one who sits in the balcony, feeling every emotion and admiring the synchronicity of body and music... telling the tale. 
      February 6, 2020 1:19 PM MST

Agreed
    :)
      February 6, 2020 6:22 PM MST

• On which point? 
    The loveliness of the art form
    or the loveliness of the male form?  LOL!  Just wondering.
      February 6, 2020 7:11 PM MST

On all of it, yup.
    :)
      February 6, 2020 8:22 PM MST

• I've seen The Nutcracker more than once, and I've also seen Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, and Coppelia. Why? Because I love classical music and I love ballet. It's a wonderful, rigorous form of dance. 
      February 6, 2020 11:33 AM MST

I agree. 
      February 6, 2020 1:21 PM MST

Once many, many years ago for the experience---more recently because our son was in dance.

He did go to Julliard about 20 years ago on a scholarship for their summer program, but was not enthralled with the overall dance milieu and chose not to pursue a career in dance.

Currently he's a "double E" and has an MBA---and he works for a major tech company.

And I do not go to ballets anymore---although I always enjoyed watching him dance.

Amazing what dancers can do with their bodies....

February 6, 2020 1:30 PM MST

My Grammie was wonderful in the sense she desired my sister and me to have culture and made it possible for us to do so.

I was 5 years old when I attended the Nutcracker for the first time.  I'm assuming it was the age Grammie thought I could sit and not wiggle for an extended period of time.  Luckily for her, my mom knew me better and I was graced with an intermission. 

During that time, we were able to look down into the pit where the orchestra played.  It truly tuned my brain into the sound and the movement.  Mom explained the story and how they danced to the music and told the story.

Since that time, I have seen the Nutcracker performed in numerous styles and at different levels. The last time I saw it performed was in San Francisco.

I feel the story that has long since been a tradition that stands true and proud through the beauty of dance and music.
    I highly recommend treating yourself to both. This post was edited by Merlin at February 6, 2020 6:01 PM MST
      February 6, 2020 1:58 PM MST

I love both opera and ballet.
      February 6, 2020 4:10 PM MST

The music,
    the costumes, sets and lighting,
    and the amazing athleticism and beauty of body and movement in the dancers - one could call it a gentle form of eroticism.
    The male dancer's body is my physical ideal - the one that most arouses the ancient energies.

I often enjoy the fairy tale or mythic stories used in ballets - and like them best when the director gives it a Jungian interpretation.
    My favourite, Orpheus and Eurydice.

I like classical Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Thai and Indonesian dance forms just as much.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to go as often as I used to.
    Nowadays, it's an annual treat that includes a trip with Ari to the Queensland Performing Arts Centre in Brisbane and a meal at some gorgeous eatery on the banks of the Brisbane River.

February 6, 2020 5:36 PM MST

Because I dance in them
      February 6, 2020 5:58 PM MST

• Is ballet your area of expertise or do you branch out into other types of dance as well?
      February 6, 2020 7:13 PM MST

I wouldn't necessarily call myself an expert but I've been trained and have performed in ballet, tap, modern and jazz. I tend to have been cast in character roles a lot, too. And I have choreographed numerous dances for other dancers (and even people with little and/or no dance training) and those dances tend to be on the unusual side. Of course, I love my own dance creations, ha. :)

February 6, 2020 8:26 PM MST