Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Could you be better than you are right now?

Could you be better than you are right now?

A.  Yes

B.  No

c.  I don't care

Posted - February 6, 2020

Responses

Probably.
    I try to be the best I can manage -
    but then there's a certain laziness and inertia that gets in the way.
    I don't know if it's lack of confidence that holds me back from making more effort,
    or creeping age and lack of energy,
    or the stress I get into when overcommitted...

Sometimes I really wish I could have someone to talk to about it.
    An hour with a psychologist would not be enough
    and, at $120 per hour, there's no way I could afford to pay for counselling.
      February 6, 2020 7:45 PM MST

You and I are in the same boat. Along with many others of our generation. I can be a good wall to bounce things off of in PM. $0.00 dollars per hour. I am sure you would also listen to me free of charge.
      February 6, 2020 7:49 PM MST

Have written to you on another topic.
    Will write on this one too.
    Thank you, my friend. :)
      February 6, 2020 9:08 PM MST

• It staggers the mind to think that i could get any better than I already am.

Let's not overwhelm everyone. 
    LOL!
      February 6, 2020 7:45 PM MST

Oh, to be young again...without the threat of Vietnam staring me in the face with few opportunities.
      February 6, 2020 7:52 PM MST

Reminds me of my stallion when he was young and full of testosterone.
    It gave him such blithe confidence.
    He would attempt just about any challenge and usually succeed.
      February 6, 2020 9:05 PM MST

Would that be Ari?
      February 7, 2020 8:48 AM MST

Ha ha! No.
    Alas, my Ari has confidence only in some areas, not most.
    He has perfect pitch and is an exquisite singer.
    He is kind and patient (most of the time), and full of desire to help in the community and with friends.
    He is honest to the best of his ability, except when in denial of something too painful to bear.
    He's an incredible networker, rarely forgets a name or a phone number.
    But Ari, even back in his youngest days, was never an alpha. He had the testosterone for taking risks and being experimental, bohemian and wild, but feared failure as something too shameful to bear and tended to avoid anything difficult.
    He found his niche in being a helper for others.

I've had one old stud and two young stallions. Both of the latter - black Arabians descended from Ansata Ibn Halima, one 15.1 hh, the other 14.2. Both had incredible chutzpah and charisma.
    But in my answer to you, I was thinking of the little one, Hakiim, who I was with when he was born. At his peak he would try anything, often just for fun.
    One time, I was out riding with the herd following along at liberty. We were walking through a forest down a steep track. To the side lay an ancient log about four feet in diameter. Hakiim saw it, burst into a canter toward it, sprung like an Olympic showjumper and landed like a cat on the other side, to canter on with his tail like a flag in the air. It's the only time I've ever seen an untrained horse take such a huge jump when there were plenty of options to avoid it, and the only time I've seen a horse jump for the sheer joy of it. He would cross a creek in flood, climb a mountain, open gates while leading other horses, take on play fights with much larger horses and win without causing harm, seduce mares that could kick his balls to pulp or shatter his teeth, and herd cattle without being taught. He found nine ways to break down or through a fence, and conceived a foal every time.
    When finances forced me to stop breeding, I was forced to geld him. It was one of the saddest days of my life.
    He's still with me, and still a wonderful horse to ride.
      February 7, 2020 11:00 PM MST

When you are on the lowest rung, all you do is move up.  

I have miles of ladder to climb.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 6, 2020 8:54 PM MST
      February 6, 2020 7:49 PM MST

Of course.  Being that I am a person of very little quality, I can only improve
      February 6, 2020 7:52 PM MST

("person of very little quality" - - I've heard that in a movie? TV show? Or is it an everyday phrase everybody uses? I'm thinking Archie Bunker said that to somebody maybe? eh - - I best go to bed now)

You have lots of quality.
    :)

February 6, 2020 8:54 PM MST

Ditto.
    I agree with Quentin's view of Jonny.
    And I suspect that Jonny may be an overly harsh judge of himself.
      February 6, 2020 9:03 PM MST

Hah! You nailed it, Welby. It was Archie talking to Meathead. It has become somewhat of a private joke between Twinkle and me as well.
    Welcome to the inner sanctum. LOL

February 8, 2020 7:36 AM MST

Even better - - I'm a member in yours and Twinkle's inner sanctum more than I was even aware! Ha!
    :)

(wow -- I was right about Archie! I've watched the entire series of "All in the Family" more than once, I think. so funny to me in so many ways.)
      February 8, 2020 3:45 PM MST

HUH?
      February 7, 2020 8:49 AM MST

A
      February 6, 2020 8:54 PM MST

Yes but I don't want my friends to think I am becoming some kind of a  hoity-toity person. 
      February 6, 2020 9:44 PM MST

• Yes. 
      February 7, 2020 5:16 AM MST

• A, B AND C. Not always in that order. I’m a bit of a rebel like that.
      February 7, 2020 5:31 AM MST

My extended personal answer's on its way as a message.

This second reply is more general.

The question of “better” raises others.

What are the criteria for good?

Is context everything?

Could it be restricted to purely personal values or goals?

Is it better measured against the mores of human well-being,

or that of all life?

"Good" can refer to ethics, whatever causes the least harm and greatest benefit.

It best does so with unconditional and equal regard for both self and all other life.

In conflicts of interests, it can become a forced choice,

the moment when values and moral courage are most tested.

And the worst of it may be if one’s own values on some issue might conflict with the beliefs of others.

To be better might be as simple as devoting more time to volunteering in the local community.

It might be discovering how to be fully honest without hurting the feelings of others or causing harm.

It could mean learning patience and perseverance.

Perhaps its the need to let go of ego and greed, 

or learn the balance between selfishness and self-care and respect.

But to be "good" or “better” can refer to just about any trait.

A person could become physically healthier, fitter, stronger, more agile,

could develop better emotional intelligence, communication and relationship skills,

could become better at work, creativity or at play,

or could devote more energy to volunteering in their local community.

This post was edited by inky at February 8, 2020 1:11 AM MST
      February 7, 2020 11:12 PM MST

im not doing so good ; my life doesnt advance at all, and the people i live with dont really care about me.

when your life is lonely and things doesnt change... you're enough.

I need like 50 000 canadian dollars to be able to buy citizenship to another country. I could then exile myself there for some time.
      February 16, 2020 5:50 PM MST

What do think a change of country would do to make your life better?   Decide what person you want to be.  Then go be him.  Do whatever it takes.   

Be realistic.
      February 16, 2020 6:04 PM MST

As long as we are alive the answer will always be yes.
      February 16, 2020 6:12 PM MST