Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » What type of floors do you have in your home?

What type of floors do you have in your home?

1.  Hardwood/laminate.
2.  Carpeting
C.  Concrete
4.  Dirt
E.  Straw
F.   Plywood
7.  Steel
8.  Other_________

Posted - February 9, 2020

Responses

Since I built it myself, I can tell you exactly.  Most newer homes have tongue and groove plywood flooring as a first layer. It is really firm and should be screwed down to help prevent squeaking noises. Then comes carpet padding and carpet. The kitchen,baths, and utility room are done in tiles. All these tiled areas are underlayed with sheets of water resistant material. I also have some area done with laminate/fake wood that has a padded underlayment. If I had a chance to do it again, I would choose solid oak wood flooring that is real wood.
      February 9, 2020 3:23 PM MST

Oak flooring is very expensive...but you already know that. I could only afford laminate, which looks pretty good.
      February 9, 2020 3:37 PM MST

6 inch T&G pre finished  American oak for the lower grades start at £18 per Sq metre ..Beaver grade can be up to £ 20 more and other brands far more expensive...If you've got a decent chopsaws and hire a manual or better still air nailer ,you can lay your own floor for next to nothing..:) This post was edited by Nice Jugs at February 9, 2020 5:52 PM MST
      February 9, 2020 4:52 PM MST

Did you win the lottery? You seem to have a money tree.
      February 9, 2020 5:52 PM MST

It not what you know ,it's who you know and likes you...  :)
      February 9, 2020 6:25 PM MST

The problem with laminates, or at least 2004 era laminates,  is that their corners tend to curl up a bit over time.
      February 9, 2020 6:44 PM MST

Mine is 2 years old and there is a bit of a gap between a few of them. I think it is the low humidity.
      February 9, 2020 6:47 PM MST

Well Done!  It sounds like your house is sturdy and your floors are beautiful.
    I like your oak idea, too.  White Oak, perhaps?
      February 10, 2020 9:41 AM MST

• Many areas of my house are currently undergoing home improvement construction so everything is in flux.  At the moment I have hardwood in living and dining rooms.  Tile in bathrooms.  Carpet in bedrooms.  Vinyl flooring is in kitchen and I need that to be changed.

Twinkle has a "playhouse" if you will out back in his side yard.  I am seriously considering a retro looking shag rug for the floor.  That would lend such style and flare to the place and feel so comfy on my booty.  Fun!  Fun!  Fun!  And I'll say no more. 
      February 9, 2020 3:34 PM MST

The kind you stand and walk on.
      February 9, 2020 3:48 PM MST

Flat ones.
      February 9, 2020 5:08 PM MST

I wish I could say the same. :s.
      February 10, 2020 9:43 AM MST

Our cellar in the city is quary tiled ...Kitchen and utility rooms porcelain...ground floor mostly hardwoods  bedrooms  ,some hardwood others carpets...
      February 9, 2020 5:09 PM MST

We have hardwood laminate in the kitchen, dining room, and den; carpet throughout the living room and bedrooms; tile in the bathrooms. 
      February 9, 2020 6:56 PM MST

My whole downstairs has tile which I hate.  I covered that with plank vinyl flooring; it is beautiful, waterproof, and I love love love it.  The stairwell and bedrooms are berber carpet.  The downstairs bath has the same plank flooring as everything else down there.  The upstairs bathrooms have sheet vinyl.  That is my all-time favorite kind of flooring.  The old stuff wasn't cool but the new stuff with pvc backing lays completely flat and it is so so durable.  I did my renovation in 2016 and my plank and sheet vinyl floors look like they did the day they were installed.  I hate plastics, but those flooring options are great.  The sheet vinyl was very expensive but my upstairs baths are pretty small.  I also have the floors of all of the closets done in the sheet vinyl.  I will never empty a closet again for new carpet. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at February 10, 2020 12:26 PM MST
      February 9, 2020 7:13 PM MST

Tiles in all common areas, carpet in the bedrooms.
      February 9, 2020 7:19 PM MST

Hardwood under carpet in all rooms except kitchen and bathroom which are ceramic tiled.
      February 10, 2020 7:52 AM MST

8.  All of the above. 
    The first renovation was replacing the straw. We found brick worked better around the fireplace.

February 10, 2020 9:51 AM MST

The one I am surprised you have not listed, given that it is one of the most common types, and at least 100 years old:

- Tongue-and grooved floorboards nailed to joists that either bridge without touching the ground on which the building stands, or are also the suspension for the ceiling of the room below.

My first home's ground floor was either solid concrete or much more likely, stone slabs covered with mortar. Its first-floor's floorboards were plain edged, and those in the bathroom were so rough that I could really only cover them with hardboard sealed with polyurethane varnish. (On the advice of my Dad, a scientist by profession but also very practical and a very good craftsman.) 
      February 10, 2020 2:33 PM MST

Tile in kitchen and bathrooms. 
    Laminate wood flooring in living room and 2 bedrooms. 
    Carpet in master bedroom.
    Concrete floor painted black with paint flakes sprinkled throughout. (Gives a space effect)
    Garage concrete. 

February 10, 2020 5:09 PM MST