Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » History » What do you think was/were the greatest/brightest moment(s) of American history?

What do you think was/were the greatest/brightest moment(s) of American history?

Posted - February 11, 2020

Responses

In approximate order:

Adoption of the Declaration of Independence.

Adoption of the Constitution.

Louisiana Purchase.

Invention by Eli Whitney of interchangeable parts for manufacturing, which made the industrial revolution possible.

Invention by Robert Fulton of the steamship.

Erie Canal.

End of the Civil War and slavery.

Transcontinental railroad.

Invention by Thomas Edison of electric lighting.

Invention by Alexander Graham Bell of the telephone.

The invention of the elevator.

The Wright brothers flight at Kitty Hawk.

The invention of jet propulsion and jet aircraft.

Brown v. Board of Education, Rosa Parks, and the civil rights movement.

NASA, the space program, and the moon landings.

The inventions of personal computers, cell phones, the Internet et al. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at February 12, 2020 11:45 AM MST
      February 12, 2020 4:08 AM MST

The first electric light, the carbon arc, was invented by Englishman Humphry Davy. Even the filament bulb was not an Edison invention per se, he merely improved on the design of Canadians Henry Woodward and Mathew Evans. It was Edison who made it cheap enough to be practical. T A Edison's real specialty was patenting other people's ideas, like those of Nikola Tesla.

Jet aircraft were invented by Hans von Ohain, the first being the Heinkel He 178 and the first fighter jet being the Messerschmitt Me 262. The brightest moment in Nazi Germany's history, perhaps? (Personally I'd credit Volkswagen with that epithet, it was nicknamed "Hitler's revenge".)
      February 14, 2020 2:03 AM MST

Related to the end of slavery, which Stu Spelling Bee already mentioned:

In ways I've read about, and probably countless ways no one even knows, Harriet Tubman (and probably countless others less-well-known who did similar things as far as slavery) created great hope.

Image result for harriet tubman
      February 12, 2020 7:25 AM MST

She was an amazing woman. Visiting her home and museum in Auburn, NY is a memorable experience.
      February 12, 2020 10:04 AM MST

That'd be something I'd be interested in doing.
      February 12, 2020 10:29 AM MST

Auburn is in central NY on the east side of Cayuga Lake, near Cortland, Geneva, Ithaca, and Syracuse. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at February 14, 2020 9:49 AM MST
      February 12, 2020 9:51 PM MST

Thanks!
    :)
      February 12, 2020 9:53 PM MST

Washington invading Trenton as seen in the movie 'The Crossing'  featuring Jeff Daniels as Geo. Washington. 
      February 12, 2020 9:03 AM MST

• When CHER won the Oscar for "Moonstruck" of course.

February 12, 2020 10:18 AM MST

I love your answer :)
      February 12, 2020 10:28 AM MST

I'd have to go with the ending of slavery and the various civil rights movements.

Probably also the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution - because, in general, they've caused far more good than harm.

However, just like Australia, the very existence of the country is predicated on the invasion and theft of land that formerly belonged to indigenous peoples. The murders, massacres, rapes and other atrocities have still not been through any process of reconciliation, justice or compensation. Many injustices are still being perpetrated.

As for all the wonderful inventions - some of them could now be viewed differently in the light of their need for fossil fuels and the resulting climate change.

The USA is an amazing country. Being so populous, its brightest people must rise through a highly competitive environment. So that when they reach the top of their fields they prove to be among the brightest in the world.
    Their gifts give endlessly to humanity and the world in uncountable ways.

This post was edited by inky at February 14, 2020 7:34 AM MST
      February 13, 2020 9:04 PM MST