Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why do a lot of left wing people refuse to acknowledge that left wing terrorism exists

Why do a lot of left wing people refuse to acknowledge that left wing terrorism exists

Posted - February 22, 2020

Responses

Not I. I believe in Equal Opportunities and think that the right is a bit self-centered in their thinking if they believe they are the only ones with terrorists.
      February 22, 2020 10:04 AM MST

Maybe it depends how far left you call left.

Stalin was a communist. You can't get further left than that. And he was one of the world's worst terrorists - terror on the scale of nationwide systematised mass murders and persecutions.

In general, I don't think terrorism has anything to do with left or right. It has more to do with religion and belief.

However, just recently some green activists have begun to ramp up their campaigns into more disruptive practices, such as blocking production at coal mines or ports for 24 hours. For those involved, this could be construed as economic terrorism, though in truth, these actions are little more than flea bites or hiccups when measured against the wealth and power of these companies. The stoppages certainly don't leave average citizens in any state of terror; on the contrary, many are cheering for the bravery of those willing to put themselves at risk of arrest and imprisonment.

In America and Australia, Greens are considered lefties - despite the fact that everywhere else in the world, green issues are considered non-partisan and affecting everybody equally.

This post was edited by inky at February 22, 2020 4:59 PM MST
      February 22, 2020 12:44 PM MST

Green issues affect everyone equally, but the right refuse to acknowledge it. It could hurt their rich donors, the big polluters, who they rely on for funding to saturate the media with utter bulldust when campaigning.
      February 22, 2020 2:44 PM MST

Personally, I always find it worrying and slanted when I see people banging on about lefties, and left-wing, usually in derogatory ways - it serves not to open honest discussion and debate, but to insult and shut-down debate. 

I also find that while it may be valid to point out genuine documented and proven left-wing terrorism, most of the attempts I've seen are anything but proven and most seem more intent on insulting and mud-slinging, trying to make out their side is some how better. So, in short... where I've seen this kind of thing, it's usually accusing left-wing of this and that, while overlooking and trying to deflect from their own side's bad-behaviour. 

February 22, 2020 3:35 PM MST

You must define the Wings first!
      February 23, 2020 5:14 AM MST