Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why do the political fanboys/girls that inhabit this site seem so childish?

Why do the political fanboys/girls that inhabit this site seem so childish?

Name calling and finger pointing seems to be the most dominate form of expression between these groups while very few actually seem to care about finding a mutually beneficial conclusion to our problems.

Posted - June 30, 2016

Responses

Online politics is pretty partisan but this site (with a few exceptions) has a low standard of debate.

June 30, 2016 3:32 PM MDT

It really is miserable, isn't it.  I've been around less.  I have other sites to play on where people talk about more than Trump and Clinton.  For some here it is a disease with no cure.  One never ever stops.  After an election it starts for the next one.  It's' been a long eight years with respect to that one.  Doing this to the country is part of the overall plan.  Separation, tension, discontent, high welfare rolls, etc. etc......................all part of the plan.  Only the intelligent people with common sense see it, and not all of them do.  I'm shocked often by some of the things I read here.

June 30, 2016 3:51 PM MDT

Try to skip most of the political questions.. Most of them are not questions anyway.. focus on the people who are looking for answers..

June 30, 2016 9:42 PM MDT

And fact-free ideologically-driven paranoia like this reply are why we can't have "adult" discussions.

In a country where one side of the political aisle openly admits they are no longer members of the Reality-Based Community, it is extremely hard to have productive dialog.

The montonic answer from the Usual Suspects is always "IT'S THE FAULT OF TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ...WHO IS STOOPID AND EBIL!"

Until they're ready to rejoin the Reality-Based Community, I will continue to make fun of them for their idiocy. But I won't concede the rhetorical space to them.

June 30, 2016 9:54 PM MDT

• Ironic that a couple of the comments in this question just ended up being more of the same hackneyed talking points and back-and-forth go-nowhere bickering.

This election has probably turned a lot of people off of politics and I don't blame them one bit for wanting to shut off the noise.

June 30, 2016 9:58 PM MDT

I'm sorry, Nevan, but stuff it.

Your "both sides do" false equivalency is part of the problem.

I just got off a thread where multiple members of the "IT'S TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ FAULT"  crowd could not get it through their ideological blinders that making government social welfare benefits dependend upon employment makes zero sense in a world where there is a labor demand shortage of 20 MILLION JOBS.

Instead of engaging in the discussion about the brutal math (for which I provided multple credible sources), they retreated into fact-free rants like "No, I don't agree. There's plenty of jobs available" (no math or sources to provided to back up that assertion) and "No, welfare recipients won't work because they're lazy" (again, no sources or evidence provided to back that up).

If you don't like my style, fine. But don't lump my behavior in with those of The Usual Suspects. There are significant and important differences between someone who asserts 2 +2 = 4 and someone who says, "Nope, that's not true. Becuase if it is true than it's not TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ fault"

June 30, 2016 10:08 PM MDT

@nevan You're absolutely right, that was sort of the point of this question- to raise the issue and display living, typing examples first hand.
      July 1, 2016 10:51 AM MDT

not sure why but i havent seen them yet

July 2, 2016 8:19 PM MDT

• "The monotonic answer from the Usual Suspects is always "IT'S THE FAULT OF TEH STOOPID EBIL LIBRUHLZ...WHO IS STOOPID AND EBIL!""

The monotonic answer of the leftist is simply to repeat a caricature of the criticism they receive as if that somehow shows it be self evidently false.

You never really defend your ideas. It is you that has exited the reality based community. It's you that denies the imminent fiscal collapse brought on by deficit spending. It's you that denies the imminent social collapse brought on by gender egalitarian nonsense. It's you that denies the historical truth that free markets are the only sustainable model.

You pretend to be liberal but you're really red as f***. You deserve to "cower in the corner" for the rest of your life.

July 3, 2016 9:34 AM MDT

Hello AS:

There's a DIFFERENCE between posts that say liberals are stoopid because they support X policy, and here's HOW, and liberals are stoopid because I SAY so.. 

However impolite, ONE calls for DISCUSSION, and the other is simply a bumper sticker..  The differences are easy to ascertain.  Seriously, they're EASY..  A bumper sticker can only be responded to with ANOTHER bumper sticker, and that's all "the stoopid libruls.." schtick IS.  But, please don't tell me that Old School isn't the FIRST to respond to REAL questions.. 

excon

July 3, 2016 10:09 AM MDT

• "However impolite, ONE calls for DISCUSSION, and the other is simply a bumper sticker.."

Yes, this is true. Though loss of interest in discussion has happened for a good reason. Conservatives act like this because we can see the collapse of society coming and the grief is just too much to take. We're depressed. The left just can't see the unsustainability of their ideas, so we're all f***ed.

Compromise won't save us. A compromise between sanity and madness results in something half mad. That's not good enough. Society will still collapse, just a little slower. Even if the left woke up, it's too late now anyway. We're already so deep in debt, the prince of darkness owns us. It's over. All that remains is the catharsis of the occasional online rant.

July 3, 2016 12:28 PM MDT

What do you suppose gives you the right to call anyone fanboy?  That reeks of hypocracy when you are putting down name-calling in the same sentence?

Maybe you should stop pointing fingers and start reading what is said then.. . Mr. Paynuts.    When issues that deal with human dignity and the lack of caring about Homosexuals and transgenders and oh, I don't know, LATINOS, BLACKS and LIBERALS being less than human?   Maybe name-calling is called for.   Maybe the fact that some people actually care what happens when Trump the PIG from NAZI Germany gets in office, you may change your tune about calling names.   Maybe.  Maybe not.  Name calling is the least of your problems.

July 3, 2016 12:29 PM MDT

Hello again, AS:

Wow.  I thought  you'd understand what a bumper sticker IS..  Instead, you POST one.  Dude! 

If you have "good reason" to post bumper stickers, I have good reason to make fun of them, as I'm about to DO..  What you just said can be reduced down to, "da ebil librhuls is stoopid and ebil, and only us can sav de cuntry"..

excon

July 3, 2016 12:43 PM MDT

Good answer and one I was about to give.

July 3, 2016 12:58 PM MDT

Wait, there are people who live here?  Wow, how much is the rent, are there any good eateries nearby, what's the local nightlife like, is it a crime-free zone and is it close to transportation hubs?

Signed,

~

July 3, 2016 1:12 PM MDT

• No one can save the U.S.. As I said, it's too late. You've already crossed the event horizon of a black hole. Game over. The U.S. is going to collapse and break up.

I understand what a bumper sticker is. We all have different ways of dealing with things. Some people enjoy the catharsis of a bumper sticker. Some enjoy head in the sand denial. Whatever gets you through the night.

July 3, 2016 2:00 PM MDT
  • Bez

Because they ARE childish, and judging by their behaviour on here, not legally old enough to vote.

July 3, 2016 2:06 PM MDT
  • Bez

It's "hypocrisy", not "hypocracy", and no, I don't think Paynuts is guilty of that, at least not going by this question alone, he isn't.

July 3, 2016 2:08 PM MDT

Breathe
      July 3, 2016 10:24 PM MDT

There are people who spend most of their waking hours here.

There's a cool little pub downtown and the schools are below average.
      July 4, 2016 5:18 PM MDT