Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Legal » American citizens who live in foreign countries: if they violate the laws of those countries, should they be deported back to the US?

American citizens who live in foreign countries: if they violate the laws of those countries, should they be deported back to the US?

~

Posted - April 22, 2020

Responses

I'd say it should be the choice of the host country.

But there are other factors.

What if the American citizen has children or other dependents in that foreign country?

And what if by American standards the laws of the foreign country are cruel and barbarous?

What if the American citizen is a journalist locked up for reporting nothing but the truth?

Or what if he or she is a doctor or scientist who is locked up for having discovered some new disease?

I don't think there can be one answer for this question.

Rather, countries need to negotiate treaties with each other which cover as many contingencies as possible.
      April 22, 2020 9:46 PM MDT

Good points, thank you. 
    ~
      April 23, 2020 12:07 AM MDT

Simply violating a law, any law, is too broad for such a question.  I believe most countries want to protect their citizens first.  Someone with permanent resident status usually has the same  or near same rights to due process as citizens.  People who are illegally in a country should not be given any mercy whatsoever.  I think they should be deported if they are caught at all, but by all means, ship their butts out your country when they are there illegally and committing crimes.  
      April 22, 2020 11:23 PM MDT

Good points, thank you. 
    ~
      April 23, 2020 12:08 AM MDT

Silly answers today. It's garbage pick-up day.

April 23, 2020 8:10 AM MDT

Depends on the seriousness of the law.  But first they should pay the penalty for their lawlessness. Then deported if a serious crime. This post was edited by my2cents at April 23, 2020 8:29 AM MDT
      April 23, 2020 8:14 AM MDT