Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Music » Do you enjoy hearing "live" / in-concert recordings of songs you like?

Do you enjoy hearing "live" / in-concert recordings of songs you like?

I don't -- I usually find the crowd's whistling, yelling and screaming annoying

A HUGE exception -- the crowd on Chuck Berry's "My Ding-a-Ling" -- THIS is what every "live" recording should be! The crowd's input is perfect, ha! The interplay between Chuck and the crowd -- joyous

What a fun song!

"My Ding-a-Ling"    Chuck Berry

Posted - April 29, 2020

Responses

Yes
      April 29, 2020 12:01 PM MDT

:)

Direct answer, ha! :) I rarely can keep my answers short.

And only after posting my question did I later remember that I had many studio recordings of Bette Midler -- a big fan. But it wasn't until I got her "Live! At Last!" live double album did I realize that I like her best in a live-concert setting. I've seen her 'live,' too.
    So much for what I said in my question. :)
      April 30, 2020 5:33 PM MDT

Indeed I do. Here is my favorite performance of Layla.

April 29, 2020 12:14 PM MDT

Thankfully, you have the superior electric version rather than the sluggish acoustic version.
      April 29, 2020 7:13 PM MDT

I never liked that. What was he thinking?
      April 30, 2020 7:47 PM MDT

I hope to come back and listen! Thanks, Element 99! Im getting really tired right now, though.

And only after posting my question did I later remember that I had many studio recordings of Bette Midler -- a big fan. But it wasn't until I got her "Live! At Last!" live double album did I realize that I like her best in a live-concert setting. I've seen her 'live,' too.
      April 30, 2020 5:34 PM MDT

Have to admit, that was nice. I've always liked that song. I had it playing while I was in the kitchen - - my favorite part was about two-thirds into it - - when everything stops and that slow piano lick comes in - - loved it! And then, even better, it happens again at the end!
      May 1, 2020 4:26 PM MDT

Nope, and I never have. I usually  prefer recorded music.
    ~
      April 29, 2020 12:23 PM MDT

Yeah, me, too, Randy D. :)

Yet, only after posting my question did I later remember that I had many studio recordings of Bette Midler -- a big fan. But it wasn't until I got her "Live! At Last!" live double album did I realize that I like her best in a live-concert setting. I've seen her 'live,' too.
      April 30, 2020 5:35 PM MDT

Not really, and for the same reasons as you. But, I do like live/single-take recordings from a studio, or at home, for example.

April 29, 2020 2:59 PM MDT

I hope to come back and listen. This looks intriguing! Ha! Thanks, righty1!
    I'm getting tired now. :)

April 30, 2020 5:36 PM MDT

As talented as both of these guys are, why am I not much of a fan of either of them? Ha! I don't particularly like what they do with their voices here - - the ad-libbing stuff or whatever. Ha! But, like you said, the novelty of the whole set-up to the song is fun!

And I'm glad I'm not alone on, in general, about the 'live' concert stuff. And Randy D feels the same, too. :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 2, 2020 5:12 PM MDT
      May 1, 2020 4:31 PM MDT

Don't like it, huh?

Aight, I see how it is...

lol ;p
      May 2, 2020 5:13 PM MDT

Yes, I agree with you! Ha! What's my hangup? With the singing chops they both got, why did I not immediately really like it? What they both do here sounds great but - - hey, yeah -  I sometimes wonder what my criteria are for liking or not liking music. :)

And that's a perfect gif to match your reply to me! Ha! :)
      May 2, 2020 5:26 PM MDT

It's all good. I understand.

My music just isn't good enough..,

Hehehehe ;P
      May 3, 2020 12:29 PM MDT

Ha!

Whoa, sorry! I only came across your reply to me just now! Sorry for my late reply! :) 

This is where your laughing-man maybe came from on your comment to Jaimie on your Sunday Coming Down question? Ha! About my not liking your music and lying about Kristofferson? I posted over at that thread before seeing your comment here. :)

Is this a famous person and/or someone I should know? I like his expression! And his expression is even better along with your comment. :)

And I listened to that Kristofferson song again, earlier today, when I was over there posting my winking man gif to you :)
      May 4, 2020 9:16 AM MDT

Hey! :)

The guy in this pic is Martin Clunes, he plays the main character in the TV show: "Doc Martin". It's like a British version of "House"; a sarcastic, pan-faced doctor having awkward encounters with his patients. But humor in this show is a little more subtle. 
      May 7, 2020 1:46 PM MDT

Subtle can be hilarious!
      May 11, 2020 6:16 PM MDT

Element beat me to it with Clapton, but I was thinking "Wonderful Tonight."

I also preferred Bob Dylan's live version of Shelter From The Storm..

And Visions of Johanna 1966

Just Like A Woman..

April 29, 2020 3:56 PM MDT

Thanks, kjames! much for me to listen to, I hope. These two certainly are legends! My intentions are always to listen but sometimes I fail. :) I appreciate your answering my question! :)

April 30, 2020 5:38 PM MDT

I just listened to "Wonderful Tonight"- - and before that had listened to Element 99's post of "Layla."
    Though both of the performances are really great --
    I think I'll stop for a bit in listening to more here because I noticed another thing that I allow to bug me sometimes in "live" concerts: really long ad-lib solos.

I liked a lot this performance of this song until the female vocalist started going all over the place toward the end of the song. and up really high she went.  :)

Though she does it very well, for sure - - and few people, if anyone, are better at ad-libbing solos than Clapton - - there is something about those kind of moments that does little for me. And those moments in concerts so often go on and on. ( And a weird example of a studio recording I really like -- Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" -- it's my favorite song on that entire album. But that guitar solo at the end of the song goes on too long for my taste -- I'd rather hear more of the actual song, not a long guitar solo. And I know I'm in the minority on that - - everything I've read and heard about that song - - the guitar solo ids really highly respected.)

But, again -- this "Wonderful Tonight" performance is no doubt gorgeous! Thanks for posting!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 1, 2020 5:15 PM MDT
      May 1, 2020 4:55 PM MDT

I'm a fan of the guitar, I can play a little myself, but my brother is excellent at it, he plays both electric and acoustic.
      May 5, 2020 4:25 PM MDT