Discussion » Questions » Language » For those here who are quite eloquent in you responses, do you speak like that?

For those here who are quite eloquent in you responses, do you speak like that?

Posted - April 29, 2020

Responses

I'm usually pretty clear whenever  I want to get a point across. 
      April 29, 2020 2:28 PM MDT

I speak like an educated individual. I do tend to surprise myself every now and then. However, I prefer not to talk at all. This post was edited by Zack at April 29, 2020 7:43 PM MDT
      April 29, 2020 2:38 PM MDT

That is denying many of your amazing self, thoughts, and mind.
    I find that very sad.  I enjoy reading you and think of you as an intelligent person who has many ideas and valuable thoughts to offer.  You also can be funny when you desire.  
    Since I believe you, I am glad I have the opportunity to know you when you speak here at answerMug.
      April 29, 2020 3:31 PM MDT

No, because my written responses are more carefully thought out. I can't type words as fast as I can speak them, and that helps. Spoken responses will be somewhat similar, I guess, but put together more impulsively and less organized. 
      April 29, 2020 2:56 PM MDT

(do your you speak like that)
      April 29, 2020 3:33 PM MDT

I failed proof-reading 101.
      April 29, 2020 5:14 PM MDT

proof-reading proofreading
      April 29, 2020 5:22 PM MDT

Yep...I told you I failed.
      April 29, 2020 5:29 PM MDT

I ain't avin it, I ain't avin it, I've ad enuff!
      April 29, 2020 3:35 PM MDT

I do write as I speak.
    It is a VERY BAD habit and one that I do not advise any one to do.
    Speaking and writing are two different things.  When I speak, I do speak in complete sentences as I try to do when I write; however, I tend to have incredibly long sentences that still hold true to the subject and go on and on and on and on. 
    It takes a lot less time to say the words than to read and write them.
    This also allows emotions to slide merrily into my thoughts.  When I get on a roll, I misspell and jump around.  BAD! BAD! BAD!  When I speak, I catch myself.  
    One thing is for sure.  I do have a point.  I make a point but I am easily distracted by my feelings and it shows in my writing.

It is a bad style and habit and one that I do NOT suggest anyone to incorporate into their writing. This post was edited by Merlin at April 30, 2020 1:41 AM MDT
      April 29, 2020 3:36 PM MDT

Do you misspell when you speak?
      April 29, 2020 5:15 PM MDT

Oh, very often.  I catch myself saying i before e except after c and y on ocassion.
    It has a tendency to derail the flow of thought with others.
    I know what I am doing.  They don't have a clue.  At this point, I make them another strong cocktail and change the subject.
    ;) :)
    Shots anyone??
      April 29, 2020 5:23 PM MDT

You are funny, hunny-bunny.
      April 29, 2020 5:26 PM MDT

I hope you won't mind if I disagree that writing as one speaks is a very bad habit.
    I think, it a context such as answerMug, it's wonderful to write the way one speaks.
    It helps us hear the voice and character of the writer so much more clearly.
      April 30, 2020 1:43 AM MDT

(((Wave something shiny in front of her eyes when she’s talking to you, folks. Or better yet, just out of the corner of her eye.  It’s hilarious to see how she gets off track!  Shhhhhh, try it, but don’t tell her I said this.)))

~
      April 30, 2020 6:54 AM MDT

My manner of speaking and the words I use pretty much resemble a mix between those of Sidney Poitier and Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I rarely use slang (it would sound forced and affected if I did), nor anything akin to Ebonics, etc.  Those of you who are accustomed to seeing my writing have a general idea of how I sound when I talk; the two are quite similar. At certain times throughout my life, I have had people tell me that from merely hearing me speak for the first time, and after only the first minute or two, they can tell that I am not only intelligent but also educated (and no, that’s not redundant because the two are not mutually inclusive concepts). 

~ This post was edited by Randy D at April 30, 2020 1:46 AM MDT
      April 29, 2020 4:40 PM MDT

Although I may like some of Mr. Tyson's scientific programs, I do not like his politics nor his atheism.
      April 29, 2020 6:52 PM MDT

Thank you, but in my use of Neil Tyson as an example, I refer only to those specifics that I outlined, none of which include any of those that you mentioned. It’s difficult to find people in life who mirror ALL of one’s own ideas, ideals, ideologies, philosophies, beliefs, tenets, traits, mannerisms, manners, deportment, style, class, equities, assets, etc., and that includes people in one’s immediate family and circle of close friends. I am no more aligning with everything he represents by citing him than I would align myself with everything Mother Teresa or Doctor Martin Luther King* represented had I used them as examples for comparisons to anything about me. 

*Interesting side note: there were rumors (or accurate reports, I don’t know which) that one carefully hidden aspect of Doctor King’s adult life was that he was a womanizer and/or that he committed adultery on at least one occasion. There would be no benefit to his life’s work, either while he was alive nor in his legacy in death, for that to leak out.  If true, it causes damage, if untrue, it causes doubt. Either way, I call upon it to further what I wrote above. I can use a person as an example, but since all humans are flawed creatures, we either have to take the hood with the bad or separate the good from the bad. Even in our own lives, you and I and all others have to recognize our own shortcomings also. 
    ~
    This post was edited by Randy D at April 30, 2020 8:55 PM MDT
      April 29, 2020 7:14 PM MDT

I don't know Tyson's voice. But I love Poitier's; it has to be one of the most beautiful voices on the planet.
    Makes me melt.
      April 30, 2020 1:47 AM MDT

Ergo . . .

April 30, 2020 6:40 AM MDT

Who do you consider eloquent?
      April 29, 2020 5:08 PM MDT

Not fair...It's my question.

April 29, 2020 5:19 PM MDT

Who Whom
      April 29, 2020 5:20 PM MDT

Generally speaking, isn’t a preposition required for the use of whom to be necessary instead of who?

in whom
    to whom
    for whom
    with whom
    by whom
    from whom
    of whom

etc. 
    ~
      April 29, 2020 7:18 PM MDT