Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Which ODDS are better? Following a camel through the eye of a needle or a rich man (Pumpkina**) through the gates of HEAVEN? WHY?

Which ODDS are better? Following a camel through the eye of a needle or a rich man (Pumpkina**) through the gates of HEAVEN? WHY?

Posted - May 4, 2020

Responses

Are talking "the eye of the needle" that Jesus meant ... the person-sized door that was used when the main city gates were closed?
    Or an actual "eye of the needle", that thread is passed through for sewing?

If the second ... the odds of the rich man are better.  Because at least some rich people behave like good Christians, while it's impossible for a camel to ever fit through the eye of a sewing needle.

If the first ... I'd say the camel.
      May 4, 2020 12:57 PM MDT

However you perceive it is how I mean it Walt. I'm flexible about it. Thank you for your replym'dear and Happy Tuesday to you and yours! :)
      May 5, 2020 1:54 AM MDT

Actually it's almost certain that Jesus was referring to a sewing needle, unless Matthew and Luke both made the same error. The quote is "eye of A needle", the definite article is missing. Eye of THE needle could refer to the smallest gate, but the earliest extant Mss of both of those Gospels omit it. It's a single character, an omicron with a superscripted hard aspirate, but it's a crucial one and it's not there.
    It's also possible that instead of a ridiculous simile, a later scribe made an error (or possibly a pun) by substituting "camel" for "rope", as the two words in Koine Greek are assonances. The Apostles, some being fishermen, were well versed in various types of rope and thus the simile makes some sott of sense. Cultural exegesis - who was He talking to?
      May 5, 2020 6:21 AM MDT

Trump won't be going to heaven, that's for sure. For all his lying, his mistreatment of others.. no way!
      May 4, 2020 1:31 PM MDT

Trump won't be going to heaven, that's for sure? That's a pretty bold statement and prediction. I'm curious to know how you come to that conclusion. I always thought that only God knows who will or who won't go to heaven.
      May 4, 2020 7:24 PM MDT

At one time Pala White,  who regards herself as Trump's spiritual advisor, suggested to the Donald that he should consider asking the Lord for forgiveness of his sins. Trump replied that he doesn't need forgiveness 'because i've never done anything wrong'.
      May 4, 2020 8:18 PM MDT

Standard Pumpkina** schtick MO! I wonder if GOD ever encountered another such perfect person as Pumpkina** Kg? What are those odds? :) I gotta ask!
      May 5, 2020 1:59 AM MDT

Funny, Rev Graham said President Trump prayed the sinners prayer with him during the campaign in 2016.....
      May 5, 2020 6:10 AM MDT

Well, that could very well be.
      May 5, 2020 6:24 AM MDT

Ahem.. I was pretty specific.. ok so I only included a few things but I did mention why.. "For all his lying, his mistreatment of others.. no way!"  he has also committed adultery, many times, not that I'd judge that but it's technically a sin.. All the employees he has shafted.. etc etc etc etc etc... 
      May 5, 2020 12:55 PM MDT

I envision GOD interviewing Pumpkina** HIMSELF. Not an angel or surrogate. Oh what I'd give to listen in on  that interview! I wish it could be on PAY PER VIEW. I"d subscribe fer shure! You too Addb? I think it would be a RIOT! Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday to thee! ")
      May 5, 2020 1:57 AM MDT

With God all things are possible. 

The reason it is hard for a rich man to get into Heaven is because it is easy for a rich person to rely on themselves and their money rather than relying on God. 

I will leave the judging of who gets into Heaven to God. 
      May 4, 2020 7:32 PM MDT

Agreed, but if His Royal Orangeness gets there then so does Hitler - they used the same playbook.

The key is that Heaven rejoices over one repentant sinner - and there's absolutely no evidence of the slightest hint of repentance.
      May 5, 2020 6:34 AM MDT

Again this is why God alone does the judging. For God alone knows the heart.
      May 5, 2020 7:21 AM MDT

Isn't "The Eye of a Needle" in the original story the ancient, local nick-name for a real but very narrow gate that is said to still exist in the old part of Jerusalem, and genuinely impassable to a camel?

I can't imagine Jesus would have used a real sewing-needle as metaphor; but could well have used a local land-mark. It's been decades since I last read any part of the Bible, but I had the impression he used sensible, simple parallels with his audiences' daily lives, rather than flowery absurdities.

As to the next-world fate of some modern politicians... They might fit through a narrow door bodily, but would their egos?
      May 5, 2020 4:56 PM MDT