Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » When you go to a party does the host trust you and only you to carry out a party duty?

When you go to a party does the host trust you and only you to carry out a party duty?

Whenever I go to a kids party the host always puts me in charge of the bubble machine because they know I will keep the bubbles flowing and if the bubble machine breaks down I will have it repaired and running again before the last bubble hits the ground. A broke down bubble machine can be a social  disaster for a kid  because  kids will start telling  other kids the the party sucked because of a lack of bubbles then nobody will show up for the next party. So I  take my bubble machine duty very serious  even if it means not getting a corner piece of cake -  when you are in charge of the bubble  machine you can't leave your post so that you can be first in line when it is cake cutting time. Cheers!

Posted - May 4, 2020

Responses

Sounds like you are the bubble-machine expert! The bubble man? It's cool to have a talent! I couldn't imagine being given responsibility for anything :P
      May 4, 2020 1:25 PM MDT

Well there is a lot more to being the Bubble Machine Man then  just being able to keep it running. You have to be able to tell the kids that they can't  touch the bubble machine even if they stomp and cry. Cheers!
      May 4, 2020 3:05 PM MDT

I think everyone and every beast that knows me, knows.
    Absolutely... and I happily partake in every loving minute:
      May 4, 2020 2:10 PM MDT

I must be in a poor mood --  I started watching the video and I allowed that Number Two picture to piss me off. I'm sure it was all in fun and that guy is making that facial expression on purpose for fun - -  but his facial expression by itself, and without the title of the entire youtube video to help, - - I want to go hug him.

EDIT: And I can play that same Scott Joplin piano piece used in the video. :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at May 5, 2020 8:17 AM MDT
      May 4, 2020 5:24 PM MDT

I wish I would have listened to my parents and my Grammie.  I was offered piano lessons and Grammie bought a piano for us.  I DID take lessons but... being the rebellious 15 y/o I was, I refused to learn anything but "The Homecoming."  
    My parents redid their vows on their 25th wedding anniversary.  It was a beautiful ceremony and their only request from me was to play this song on the piano and my sister to play the flute.
    Looking back, I wish I would have taken the opportunity that was offered.
    My video?  I'm sorry you were in a bad mood.  My intent was to make you smile. 
    Being a bartender and a cocktail/food waitress.  Managing a restaurant/bar and having live music, etc., my choices in life have been to serve people and help them have a happy time. 
    I go, by choice  go the extra mile to make you smile but only if you so desire.  If you don't, I have an ear and I will take the time to hear.  If they are having a down day or a celebration, I do my best to make their experience one that meets their needs.
    Normally I am about helping people see the bright side.  I never force it.

May 5, 2020 12:52 AM MDT

:)
    No worries at all about the video, my friend! I'm embarrassed for exposing yet again my being overly sensitive at times. I'm sorry. And your video is perfect! :)

(That Number Five made me smile --  look at the smiles on both of them -- lovely!) I got to watch this whole video, ha! -- have to get to work now, though.

You'd be so great at those jobs! :) :)
      May 5, 2020 6:32 AM MDT

Man the grill. My skills are legend. 
      May 4, 2020 4:13 PM MDT

The only parties I go to are at my daughter's farm. I always ask her if there is anything I can do to help and she says no.
      May 4, 2020 4:18 PM MDT

She'd probably love it if you quietly disappeared into the kitchen after the meal
    to wash up the dishes.
      May 4, 2020 5:34 PM MDT

We must come from the same tribe!
    Our family does that, too!
    :) :)
      May 5, 2020 12:56 AM MDT

You can't disappear...the main floor is wide open and you can't hide anywhere. She and a granddaughter start cleaning immediately as it is usually pandemonium there...but fun chaos. Grandparents aren't expected to do anything in my family. But I bring the guacamole if I can find good avacados.
      May 5, 2020 8:22 AM MDT

Of course she does.
    She was brought up well.
    ;) :)!
      May 5, 2020 12:58 AM MDT

In Australia, hosts don't assign tasks to guests. That would be considered incredibly rude and over controlling.

However, among peoples with low incomes (the majority), it's understood that each guest cooks and brings a plate to share. No one actually says anything - it's just done.

In my circles, we go to considerable effort to cook healthy and delicious savoury foods, while the host provides a sweet. People also bring their musical instruments and favourite drinks.

Among the wealthy, the host provides everything, and the guests reciprocate by doing the same when it's their turn.
      May 4, 2020 5:25 PM MDT

I didn't see your answer until after I posted mine. :)
      May 4, 2020 5:27 PM MDT

No

(Well, at one annual party I get the same request to make the same cake. That's gone on for years. I don't know if that counts as far as your question.)
      May 4, 2020 5:26 PM MDT