Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why the hypocrisy in saying that it’s wrong to lump all black people in a negative light yet it’s okay to do it with all police officers?

Why the hypocrisy in saying that it’s wrong to lump all black people in a negative light yet it’s okay to do it with all police officers?

It’s just as biased and prejudicial to assume or think or express that all black people are any one negative thing as it is biased and prejudicial to assume or think or express that all police officers are any one negative thing.  There are moral, values-driven, upstanding, competent, character-infused, law-abiding, intelligent, level-headed black people in this world, and there are also respectful, professional, thoughtful, diplomatic, caring, kind and good police officers too. Not every black person is either good or bad, and not every police officer is either good or bad.  All groups of people and all subgroups of people are comprised of both good and bad.  To punish all black people for one’s own negative image of black people as a whole is just as wrong as punishing all police officers for one‘s own negative image of police officers as a whole.
  There are police officers this very day who are paying for what Derek Chauvin did, murdered George Floyd for absolutely no justifiable reason, officers who have never conducted themselves in the manner in which Chauvin and his accompanying officers did. This includes every other officer who has committed misconduct and/or an illegal act, not just this most recent incident of murdering George Floyd.
  Keep in mind that not every black person thinks alike, acts alike or is alike.  The exact same goes for police officers.  Furthermore, an account needs to be considered for those officers who are themselves minorities of some sort.  Equal to what I’ve written above, even the minority officers are neither all good nor all bad, and for that reason they cannot be lumped into one narrow category.  To assume that the skin color or national origin guarantee that any police officer will be good or bad just as much misses the point as any other blindsidedness does. 
   Attacking a police officer on the street at random because of anger over George Floyd’s murder, attacking police stations, these actions aren’t helpful in advancing toward a solution to illegal acts by those police officers who have committed the illegal acts.

Racists, Klanspeople, bigots and others who denigrate the black race are wrong for doing so. Their accomplices who denigrate the entire police profession are wrong also. 

Posted - June 5, 2020

Responses

AMEN!
      June 5, 2020 7:37 PM MDT

WOW. That is the most profound thing I have read or heard about this problem since this all started. You have put all of the thoughts and beliefs of the media and politicians into a few paragraphs. Write this to your congressperson. Randy for President.
      June 5, 2020 7:51 PM MDT

Thank you, Professor. I am passionate about fair play. 

~

June 5, 2020 8:04 PM MDT

Exactly! Don't be jobist, folks. 
      June 5, 2020 9:38 PM MDT

Image may contain: outdoor
      June 5, 2020 9:42 PM MDT

I completely agree.
    No one person should automatically be regarded as like others of his or her kind; we are all unique and complex individuals, and most of us are a mix of good and bad - hopefully with the good having the upper hand most of the time.

I think it's wrong for people to attack police officers, and equally wrong for police officers to assault peaceful demonstrators and journalists.

At the same time, there is something seriously wrong with the ways police officers are selected, trained, and supervised, and with the way the law deals with those cops who transgress. It shows in the per capita proportional statistics.

Race relations are actually worse in Australia. While Aborigines represent only 3% of our population, they are 17 times more likely than a white to be locked up for a minor wrongdoing, and 16 times more likely to die in custody due to an officer not calling a doctor in response to a health complaint, or suicide, or sometimes police brutality.
    Just yesterday we saw video footage of an officer tripping a 17-year-old boy onto his face for no reason other than that the boy was being verbally rude - even though it was the cop who started the abuse out of no pretext. The boy's head was damaged in the fall and he needed treatment in hospital.
    It's far from the first instance. Things like this have been going on since colonial times 200 years ago.

We had a coronial inquiry into black deaths in custody in 1991, https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/indigenous-deaths-custody-report-summary
    Each death was found to be due to an average of 8.5 breaches of custodial duty of care by police.
    All Federal and State governments have failed to implement the recommendations of the previous Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody.
    This means that passive racism is having a significant effect in allowing active racism to go unpunished and unprevented.

Now we are having peaceful demonstrations in the tens of thousands of people in all our capital cities.
    I am very glad that Australians are marching in protest against racism. It's high time.

All around the world, those of us who care must cease being quiet and ensure that our voices are heard.
    It is not okay to let racism proliferate.

This post was edited by inky at June 7, 2020 12:25 PM MDT
      June 6, 2020 12:47 AM MDT

Thank you for shedding light from the first-hand Australian perspective on this same problem that we’ve been experiencing in the USA.  I hope that the day will come, and quite soon in fact, that this entire issue is completely eradicated from all corners of the globe. 

~

June 6, 2020 12:54 AM MDT

Me too.

If this could be the start of an historical movement that brings real change, it would be one of the best things in a lifetime.

Tragic that it takes something so terrible to make people take notice.

But - as with the original Martin Luther pinning a list of demands on a church door - when mass unhappiness about injustice has been prevalent for a long time, it doesn't take much to spark a revolution.
      June 6, 2020 1:13 AM MDT

A radio news commentary this week uncovered that it’s been practically clockwork in the US that  riots of this caliber and over this issue have flared up approximately every 25 years.

2020 Minneapolis, Minnesota and then various other cities nationwide
    1992 Watts, Los Angeles, California
    1968 Watts, Los Angeles, California
    1942 Detroit, Michigan
    1917 Chicago, Illinois

:(

June 6, 2020 1:30 AM MDT

That's maddening that the riots don't lead to change.
    But an added element is needed: political organisation.
    Now's the moment to sieze that opportunity, gather anit-racists together with a policy platform for reform.
    They can start as  a lobby group with a systematic campaign.
    But they could evolve into a party - possibly a centrist one that sits between the right and left. I think that could attract a lot of voters, maybe even a majority. This post was edited by inky at June 7, 2020 12:28 PM MDT
      June 6, 2020 1:49 AM MDT

Good points. What’s even more maddening is that riots have to be considered as effective or non-effective in bringing about change. 

~

June 7, 2020 12:30 PM MDT

preportional proportional
    enquury inquiry
      June 6, 2020 2:47 AM MDT

Can't argue with that. Couldn't have said it any better.
      June 6, 2020 2:44 AM MDT

I agree with what you said, Randy. Recent events have caused me to do a lot of reflection on my own views and biases and where they come from. Minneapolis is my home town, where I lived, worked and went to school all of my teen years and most of adult life. I now live three blocks from the Minneapolis border. What I have learned in the last couple weeks is that Minneapolis is one of the most segregated cities in the country.  As for the police force, when I learned about the person they elected as union leader, it lead me to question the core beliefs in their ranks. One of things I wonder about is how the lack of day-to-day interactions with minorities or with police can subconsciously affect us - both the police and civilians. If the only time we think about police or minorities is when something bad happens, then it can color our response. However, I think that is still too simplistic. The root causes of brutality against citizens, minority or not, are likely at least somewhat different from city to city. 
      June 6, 2020 4:22 AM MDT

Thank you very much, Jane, for your insights here. I know that there is inherent good in a lot of people, hopefully more than 51% of people, and what you’ve written here reinforces that. Being so close to the place where this current inflammation started does give your perspective more credence than others who are far removed from it.

This is not merely a police/community issue, because both of those entities are made up of the same common denominator: people.  [I am not saying that your position is merely police/community.] I have been in many situations and circumstances wherein one might not expect one person to look askew at another and been surprised that that’s exactly what happened. Look at any family or extended family, and you can see strife even there based on how one person looks at another’s position in life. It expands from family to non-family in eccentric concentric circles as people interact. 

I am grateful for having had the opportunity to travel all over the world for more than thirty years, and as a young lad in my twenties I learned something from it that resonates since that time: we are more alike than we are different. Taking the time out to learn and understand others, even if and when we don’t see eye to eye, goes a long way. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at June 6, 2020 5:20 PM MDT
      June 6, 2020 9:11 AM MDT

"concentric" not "in eccentric circles"
      June 6, 2020 9:52 AM MDT

Doh!
      June 6, 2020 9:53 AM MDT

Well said, Mr. D.  I agree. 
      June 6, 2020 3:06 PM MDT

i dont think anyone should be lumped like that
      June 13, 2020 4:51 PM MDT