Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Zack
my2cents
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What happens to feminism in this case? Feminists do watch. Patriarchy. We need feminism right feminists.

What happens to feminism in this case? Feminists do watch. Patriarchy. We need feminism right feminists.

Posted - June 10, 2020

Responses

I'm not sure I understand your question.  
      June 10, 2020 10:50 AM MDT

I know I don't understand it!
      June 10, 2020 12:50 PM MDT

I wasn't quite sure what point you were trying to make but I am happy to offer some opinions based on my thoughts and what you may seem to be referring to.. 

A titanic type scenario where the women and kids got to use lifeboats and the men, most of them, perished? OK so, those were different times, different societal values and thinking.. right or wrong, good or bad it was believed that women and children were more delicate, vulnerable and so needed more protection, chivalry and all that.. it was the 'done thing'. It's hard for us to look back and make any kind of judgement on that. 

Would things be different now? I don't know! Would I do anything different? Probably not... that might be right or wrong.. my thinking would be, absolutely, kids in the lifeboats first.. they have their whole life ahead of them.. they should be saved.. mothers to look after them.. In an ideal world dads should be there too, heartbreaking for families to lose fathers would be worse to lose both parents.

I don't think it should be an automatic assumption women and kids first...but I do acknowledge that men do tend to be physically stronger, more able to swim, survive, and right or wrong it generally is still women who take care of the kids and raise them.  If it were a choice between me and my kids, I'd save my kids every time.. lol even though all of them are grown up and two of them are male 6ft 3!

I am not sure how this relates to feminism as it wasn't really established back then.. 

Do I think feminism is still a *thing* yes, absolutely, there's still too much injustice and inequality and until that changes feminism is needed . 

Do I think feminism means women should be treated the same as men - no, because women and men ARE different, biologically, physically - we don't treat apples and oranges the same! 

In an ideal world again.. people would have enough lifeboats so everyone who can be saved has a chance.. that was a lesson they did learn from the Titanic. In an ideal world if it came to a life or death choice, I would wish families had a chance to discuss and decide.. perhaps sometimes the man is the better one to save.. in other circumstances it is the woman.. I would not ever choose to pit women against men.. we should be over that now. We were put on this earth to support each other. 
      June 10, 2020 2:12 PM MDT

Read the constitution of your country and tell me where is the inequality? Don’t make up things.
      June 11, 2020 1:11 AM MDT

The UK doesn't have a constitution.
    Rather, the equivalent of a constitution is contained in many codes and principles that emerged over centuries from statute, case law, political conventions and social consensus. 

In the UK in 2010, the Equality Act was passed. The Act provides a legal framework to protect the rights of individuals and advance equality of opportunity for all. It provides Britain with a discrimination law which protects individuals from unfair treatment and promotes a fair and more equal society.
    This law was the first time that the right to equality was acknowledged in the UK, and it forms what is only the beginning of positive change. It will still take many generations before full and practical equality is achieved.
    In the meantime, it will be tested in practice every time a relevant case comes to court - because in the UK, it is only through precedence that the laws develop their power. This post was edited by inky at June 15, 2020 3:48 AM MDT
      June 11, 2020 11:23 PM MDT

Brilliant and informative answer! I can corroborate that's completely accurate. This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at June 13, 2020 3:30 AM MDT
      June 12, 2020 12:01 PM MDT

LOL oh my! I thought I was being quite kind answering your question.  I seem to have perturbed you! As someone else very astutely said, we don't have a constitution.  I am afraid I didn't make anything up.. it is based on historical fact and information. It was how it was, how it is... you don't have to like it. You are entitled to your opinion and I accept that it differs from others.

This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at June 15, 2020 3:47 AM MDT
      June 12, 2020 11:53 AM MDT

So you do agree that there is inequality in uk based on gender? What are they? Please give concrete answers not vague answers. 
      June 13, 2020 2:20 AM MDT

In short - NO! You are being aggressive and challenging. I  come to this site to enjoy being here. I enjoy a gentle mind-work out sometimes as the questions here are very often intelligent and thought-provoking - I like that! What I don't like and won't get into, is people being agressively demanding. I don't owe you anything and I won't be goaded into spending more time than I have available for this purpose. In short, I don't want to and I don't have time to do the subject justice. 

I would hope your intellect allows you to understand that I *could* provide the answer, obviously I know the UK system well! I am aware of the various inequalities and where and how they impact on society and people. We tend to be, in my observation, less sexist in the UK, the Equality Act that @Inky cited is one of the reasons for that.. but as Inky also said there remains inequality mainly to do with work opportunities, wages and child-rearing. But as I say I don't have the time to do that subject justice and I won't because I don't want to pander to your questioning style. Had you asked nicely, politely, and in a less challenging and demanding way.. I might well have.. or I might not - time is too precious these days!

I think too.... that even were I to answer... it wouldn't do you any good - it wouldn't help you in any way.. so that's another reason why I won't and I am not that convinced you really are interested in an answer, or would learn from it. 
      June 13, 2020 1:52 PM MDT

How am I being aggressive? Nice excuse for dodging the question. Yes you come to enjoy here so Am I. I didnt ask you to comment on my post, you only did so did I. well I knew you wouldn’t have any points because not a single feminist can answer this. As there are equal opportunities given to both gender in any work field Or post. have a nice day. 
      June 15, 2020 2:20 AM MDT

I couldn't have put it any better.
    Thank you! :)

June 11, 2020 11:17 PM MDT

not sure what happens
      June 13, 2020 2:51 PM MDT

Groups find happy in groups. It doesn't mean the truth however unattainable but a moving towards which is all that matters to form a better world which is all that counts. Believe what you will. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at June 15, 2020 5:12 AM MDT
      June 15, 2020 4:39 AM MDT