Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Discussion » Questions » Family » When you were growing up, did you ever ask your parent(s) whether or not your family was rich? If so, how old were you? ~

When you were growing up, did you ever ask your parent(s) whether or not your family was rich? If so, how old were you? ~

When I was about 6 or 7 years old, I asked my mother if our family had $100 in the bank. Of course, I had absolutely no reference or mind frame for the worth of money, so I thought $100 meant wealth. 

Posted - June 11, 2020

Responses

Didn't matter, just because they might have money sure didn't mean I'd have any of it.  I slept on an army cot with springs that sagged and a metal frame, my blanket was an army blanket which by the way was really warm. My sister had one just like it.  I had to put cardboard on my shoes when they wore out.  I'm thankful I had a bed and shoes. I just remembered when I became teen I finally got a decent dresser and bed.  It was a birthday "present" which meant I just got to use it until I left home.  I was not mine after all. 

This post was edited by . at June 11, 2020 11:10 AM MDT
      June 11, 2020 9:14 AM MDT

I didn't have to ask. I already knew we weren't.
      June 11, 2020 11:12 AM MDT

Yes.
    I think I was also somewhere around 6 or 7 years old.
    It was when I was still young at primary school, and had begun to notice differences in the ways some kids spoke and behaved.
    Dad said that, due to my mother's inheritance, we were "very comfortable". I didn't really know what that meant, but I assumed it meant, yes, we were wealthy, but not nearly as much as the richest.
    Later, I learned that we counted as "upper middle-class" based on measures like tax and assets.

I didn't do so well and made huge blunders that squandered my chances.
      June 11, 2020 10:47 PM MDT

I've told this story before. When I was about 10, I decided to clean up my grandparents' basement. I opened a cupboard and discovered a 'treasure'. You see, my grandfather had a business that did well back in the Great Depression. He was a house painter for wealthy folks, including a President. Gramps had a nice piece of land and a grand home. Anyway, I found his 'stash' that was actually all the coins he got over the years. He put the coins in fruit jars. After I 'discovered' the loot, they put all the coins in the bank. There were several thousand dollars in those jars.
      June 12, 2020 6:41 AM MDT

When I was that age, I was collecting coins. I would have gone through them for any numismatic value.
      June 12, 2020 8:55 AM MDT

Lots of silver dollars for sure. No gold.
      June 13, 2020 4:17 AM MDT

no, i never asked them that
      June 13, 2020 2:37 PM MDT