Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Weather » Why is sunny, dry weather (almost) universally acknowledged as the best kind of weather?

Why is sunny, dry weather (almost) universally acknowledged as the best kind of weather?

I've spent a lifetime, ever since a young boy, preferring cloudy, rainy weather over oppressive, overbearing, in-your-face Sun Weather.
I'm alone on this.
Subtle but strong universal constant messages tell me I am wrong about my weather preference.
Unlike generally-accepted individual opinions and individual preferences in various categories like music and movies, when it comes to weather, the only beautiful weather is sunny weather. (And I prefer the night over the day -- that's another whole topic.)

Just a few examples:

"Annie" -- "The sun will come out, tomorrow! bet your bottom dollar there'll be sun."

"Everything will look better in the morning."

"Get out there and enjoy that sunny weather!"

Meteorologists -- "Okay, the clouds and the possibility of rain will remain with us for the the next few days, but hang in there, by Thursday, beautiful weather will be back and the sun and warm temps will be back with us!"

"I get up early and make sure to see the glorious sunrise every day."  (I prefer sunsets -- the sun going away is the most beautiful time of day for me.)

"It's always darkest before the dawn."

Since I was a child, that annoying-to-me fable about how the sun and the wind have a challenge on who could make a man take his coat off. The sun wins of course by gently warming the man -- as opposed to nasty wind. Moral -- Sun Is Better.  (Granted -- getting a man to take anything off might be a good thing for me . Ha!)

Posted - June 15, 2020

Responses

Personally, I prefer hot weather. 

~

June 15, 2020 7:31 AM MDT

Well, you're already incredibly hot there, bud, on your blue and white towel.

You don't need the weather to be hot, too. :)

Yes, that's my point -- everyone seems to prefer hot weather (along with the assumption that the Wonderful Sun is a constant presence from sunup to sundown).
    :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 15, 2020 1:39 PM MDT
      June 15, 2020 7:34 AM MDT

sun up to sun down sunup to sundown.
      June 15, 2020 7:37 AM MDT

Got it, thanks! I wondered about those when I wrote them! :)
    I was unsure, in my context, if they were nouns or some kind of verbs. :)
      June 15, 2020 7:44 AM MDT

Please let me ask you something Welby?! Did your antecedents come from a hot and sunny or warm and bright climate or from a cold and misty place like Ireland. That might be half of it because I'm the same way. Just a surmise that has a little traction to gain your enlightenment. This post was edited by CosmicWunderkind at June 15, 2020 1:39 PM MDT
      June 15, 2020 7:48 AM MDT

Offhand, I am unsure about my family heritage. I do know some are from Germany and Holland and the Netherlands.
    My brother would know more -- his knack for details about everything is amazing. :) Maybe I'll ask him next time we talk.

Glad to hear I'm not alone about the weather.

(And I hope you saw my comments about the "Willard" movies -- thinking of Crispin Glover's performance brought back good memories for me.)

Willard (2003) - IMDb This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 15, 2020 8:02 PM MDT
      June 15, 2020 7:53 AM MDT

Thank the good Lord, whew! Now we have to get married. :   )
      June 15, 2020 8:40 AM MDT

Lol.

~

June 15, 2020 8:53 AM MDT

This name would be Lioness.

June 15, 2020 10:42 AM MDT

I like that sentiment!  I really do!
    ~
      June 15, 2020 2:55 PM MDT

• I think it does depend somewhat on the climate you grow up in. Here in California, it's sunny and dry for most of the year, and we are prone to droughts that lead to wildfires, so I really cherish the cloudy rainy weather when we get it. 
      June 15, 2020 10:28 AM MDT

That makes sense. 

Where I've lived, there's not one particular type of weather "style" that predominates for an entire year. Your situation would make me love the cloudy rainy weather even more than I already do. :)

"My" climate allows me to cherish weather simply for what I see is as its beauty, not additionally for safety's sake, like rain for you lowers chances for potential wildfires.
      June 15, 2020 10:35 AM MDT

I’m sort of the opposite: I live in Southern California now, and I have for over twenty-five years, but I was born and raised in the midwest, so I knew cold and snow for my first 18 years. I joined the Marines, spent more than a decade in the tropics and became spoiled for life. I never want to see snow again. 
      As for those people who say they need four distinct seasons, fine for them. I’d probably live somewhere along The Equator if I were not in California, that’s how much I enjoy hot weather. 

~

June 15, 2020 3:04 PM MDT

You may be in the minority, but you're not alone. My niece moved from the South to Seattle for the weather. And here in Minnesota, I talk to lots of people who love the cold, snowy weather (I don't).
      June 15, 2020 11:31 AM MDT

I remember in about third grade in school our teacher was talking about the weather in Seattle and I thought I would like the weather there. :)

People in my life tell me that a lot, too - - "Have you considered moving to Seattle?"

(I don't particularly enjoy snow but I prefer cold temperatures over warm and hot.)

June 15, 2020 11:45 AM MDT

Clearly, you've never been to Arizona.

June 15, 2020 11:37 AM MDT

Ha! :)

I was in Arizona once -- and it was really true for me (I think it was Arizona) - - but it was very warm and hot but it "felt" different. "Dry," I was told. :) And it wasn't so bad as other hot temperatures I've felt.

But that sun was still too sunny! :)
      June 15, 2020 11:48 AM MDT

lol "That sun was still too sunny!"

Going outdoors in Arizona during the summer is like stepping under a blowdryer or a bathroom hand dryer. It's awful. It's like being hit with a wave of molten lava. Pretty much anywhere else on earth is preferable. Maybe not the arctic tundra, but just about anywhere else.
      June 15, 2020 12:00 PM MDT

Yeah, I don't think I'd do so well if I had to live there.  It does sound miserable. And, I admit, when I was in Arizona, it was just driving through the state in a car in about a day. :)
    I swear that was where, though, that the dry heat felt different. Not that I'd enjoy it for long periods of time, day after day.

June 15, 2020 12:20 PM MDT

I guess you could go back to WI.
      June 15, 2020 1:43 PM MDT

There's nothing left for me there and I don't do snow either. lol
      June 15, 2020 1:53 PM MDT

Yeah...snow sux. We have been lucky the past four years. That 84" winter was a killer.
      June 15, 2020 1:55 PM MDT

Dry heat? So is my oven.
      June 15, 2020 1:42 PM MDT

Farmers around the globe would be dismayed if they only ever had sunny, dry weather -
    and soon enough, so would the people who rely on them for food.
      June 15, 2020 1:30 PM MDT