Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » In a large city like NYC, is it hypocritical to restrict large religious gatherings like funerals and weddings while allowing BLM protests?

In a large city like NYC, is it hypocritical to restrict large religious gatherings like funerals and weddings while allowing BLM protests?

The city is being sued on these grounds by Catholics and Hasidic Jews for restricting their constitutional right to freedom of assembly.

Posted - June 15, 2020

Responses

All religious gatherings are unnecessary and illegal when authorities state so....Public outrage is uncontrolable and unstoppable unless they want more deaths on their hands...People to have long memories and it's unwise or more stupidity to continue biting the hand  that feeds you ...:( 
      June 15, 2020 9:48 PM MDT

Perhaps you are referring to the UK, but that’s not accurate as far as US laws are concerned. The religiousness of the event is not what requires permission, it’s the fact that large numbers of people will be in attendance in a public setting and are planning to move along public thoroughfares to another location. The event will potentially block roads and sidewalks, restrict normal pedestrian and vehicle traffic, prevent freedom of movement to and from homes and businesses, etc.  It is for those reasons that fire marshals, ambulances and police resources need to be on standby, which triggers the permit process. 

~

June 15, 2020 11:57 PM MDT

I think both of our governments don't like or more hate any types of civil unrest where they can loose control of the masses and even more so because of their themselves  misgivings....
    Its the so called elected governments that are to blame when the police they train and pay don't treat everyone the same ....
    Media coverage of it and it going viral via the Internet just adds fuel to people's anger as it effects us all in so many different ways..
    If Justice was about fairness and not about how much money people had,things might be different I think...
      June 16, 2020 1:53 AM MDT

Good for them.  Yes it is. 
      June 16, 2020 5:55 AM MDT

It seems like Covid-19 has gone out the window, we are still suppose to be adhering to social distancing and now it seems like it's a free for all, why isn't anything being done about this? Has everyone forgot the poor sods on the front line that lost their lives to this, who were also majority BAME, who will be put in jeopardy again by this type of behaviour, it really angers me to be honest, it's like two fingers up to all those lives. This post was edited by kjames at June 16, 2020 7:30 PM MDT
      June 16, 2020 5:01 PM MDT

As long as governments put up with the rioting and insurrection of the day, I am deaf to any demands based on the pandemic Chinese Virus.  People who want can wear masks, shoe covers, head covers, face shields, gloves or complete hazmat suits complete with respirators.....or nothing.  Protect yourself when you go out; don't expect others to protect you.  And go and do what you want to.
      June 16, 2020 7:25 PM MDT

I would say yes, that qualifies as hypocritical.
      June 18, 2020 7:21 AM MDT

sounds like it
      June 20, 2020 4:34 PM MDT