Active Now

Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Do people who are happy, positive and nice ALL the time give you the creeps? Or is it just a me thing?

Do people who are happy, positive and nice ALL the time give you the creeps? Or is it just a me thing?

Posted - July 11, 2020

Responses

Nah. lol 

Some people just don't like really happy people. It may be a bit too much for them to handle, too intense. While others will love them, and feed of their energy. 
      July 11, 2020 5:12 PM MDT

I do like happy people though! I just like to see a mix of emotions too. People who are always/ in a good mood kinda freak me out. Dunno why really. 
      July 11, 2020 5:16 PM MDT

You like to see your people balanced. lol. That's ok. 
      July 11, 2020 5:21 PM MDT

Eh, let’s go with that is my reason lol :) 
      July 11, 2020 5:23 PM MDT

What it does is piss me off. I don't usually show any emotion and people who do show it make me kind of jealous.
      July 11, 2020 5:42 PM MDT

I think I’m the type who shows too much emotion lol. So opposite of you. Maybe I just see people who seem to be happy all the time as disingenuous because I’m not capable of being happy all the time so I think no one else should be lol, Not sure.  
      July 11, 2020 5:46 PM MDT

About twenty years ago, I had a coworker who was like that, and sure enough, we all found out later it was fake. However, her reasons for it may have been valid. 
      It was a male-dominated profession (this was NOT when I was in the Marines), and one thing a lot of men in those situations never know is the tightrope that many women have to tread in order to make it day-to-day. The same behaviors and actions the average man exhibits, whether good, bad or neutral, are so unfairly scrutinized when a woman exhibits them. If she’s by-the-book, she could be judged favorably, but she most likely would be accused of sucking up. If she’s a rebel, she could be judged favorably as an independent thinker, but she would most likely be accused of being a troublemaking misfit. If she’s sullen, no big deal, everyone has their moods, but she’s most likely be “diagnosed” as having emotional problems. If she’s extroverted and friendly, she could be seen as an upbeat team-player, until she doesn’t sleep around with a particular guy or with all the guys, then she’s either a frigid man-hater or a slutty whore.  If she’s introverted and a loner, she merely likes keeping to herself, but most liking she’d be seen as a cold witch who thinks she’s better than everyone else. 
      The woman in question turned out to be wary of ever letting it seem that she had a negative opinion of anything or anybody there. She knew that she would never receive the exact same fair shake that a male counterpart in her peer group would receive. She decided to put on a happy face every single minute of every single day, going above and beyond anything that would give anyone an excuse to put in a bad word about her. I didn’t work directly with her for an extended period of time, maybe a couple of weeks, and then I moved on to a different section. Being kind of new myself at that time, I can’t speak to her job performance from the higher ups perspective, and I knew very little about her interactions with the staff at large. I do know that her “cheerfulness” seemed faked and forced, in my opinion.
      Months later, I found out that her entire attitude was a proactive measure on her part to stave off two things: any attempts at sexual improprieties (harassment, abuse, assault), and any rumors that she would be willing to or that she was sleeping her way to the top. If she always treated everybody the same way regardless of situation or circumstance, she could not be suspected of favoring anyone, or allowing herself to be favored by anyone. She decided early on that her equal treatment regimen would be a smile and a good attitude every single day. Her plan worked. She had the respect of decent people there who knew she was all business, and she inspired a no-nonsense approach to those who thought that they might one day “break” her. 

This is just one story I know of one person who acted like that, and dime some of the reasoning behind it. Not everyone who runs around with a goofy grin all the time does it for the same reasons. Like you, I’m not really a fan of that kind of person; they bug me more than a little, especially if and when it seems fake. When I read your post, I didn’t plan to write this much, or to even tell that lady’s story, but it all gushed out of me as I went along. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 11, 2022 5:57 PM MDT
      July 11, 2020 7:13 PM MDT

Extraordinarily well-written. I can so easily visualise the manner and thinking of this woman.
    And I think it speaks to the problems many women face in the workplace, even ones that are not male dominated. I'm impressed by your capacity for empathy.
      July 11, 2020 7:28 PM MDT

Thank you. Having joined the Marines directly out of high school, and then being in all-male units for my first nine years of service, I was well into my thirties before I worked alongside women in great numbers, and that was in the civilian world after I left the military.
      In extreme examples, some of my experiences in the military included months-long deployments aboard ship completely surrounded by five thousand other men when we were at sea, and at least one or two thousand other men when in the field on maneuvers.  Of course, we’d hit land every couple of weeks or every few weeks with varying amounts of time ashore (from a few hours to a month, depending on where and when), but my point is that there were times we were never around any women at all. It certainly has a mark on men’s mindsets to be immersed in those environments. Not all bad, not all bad good, some even neutral.
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 11, 2022 5:57 PM MDT
      July 11, 2020 7:39 PM MDT

Thanks for this, I had always thought of it as a form of manipulation. I had never considered may be a coping mechanism.     
      July 11, 2020 7:33 PM MDT

Wow! What a thread! All of this because I posted a Bob Ross video. Haha :)
      July 11, 2020 8:24 PM MDT

It’s all thanks to you and Bob Ross lol :) thanks Righty :) 
      July 11, 2020 8:28 PM MDT

When someone is continually like that, I assume that, whatever the reason, it's likely to be inauthentic.
    I treat them with polite friendliness, but do not feel drawn to get to know them better.

I love people who show their feelings most of the time (except when inappropriate)
    and who are not afraid to be honest.
    With these people, I always know exactly where I stand. I feel free to just be myself and strongly drawn to friendships with them.
      July 11, 2020 7:33 PM MDT

I love your entire post, but that first paragraph describes it for me so beautifully that I wish I had written it! I’m so jealous of it that I want to pay you a ghostwriter’s fee and copyright it as my own!  Grrrrrrr.
    ~

July 11, 2020 7:42 PM MDT

Ha ha! :)
    You could easily take on copy and proofediting as a professional if you wanted to -
    and as for writing, you already have an excellent range of styles. And you'd have zillions of good stories to tell.
      July 11, 2020 10:04 PM MDT

Thank you, my friend!
    ~

July 11, 2020 10:07 PM MDT

I feel exactly the same way as you on this, thank you for this. I’m not as good at expressing, as you have here :) 
      July 11, 2020 7:54 PM MDT

No one is like that all the time.  People like that are perky and I have always found perky to be irritating and less than honest behavior.  
      July 11, 2020 9:51 PM MDT

I’m happy and nice a lot of the time so you may find me annoying and perky lol. But I’m also moody often too, that’s also probably annoying to the people I interact with often. 
      July 15, 2020 6:01 PM MDT

None of us is perfect, including me. :)
      July 16, 2020 12:22 PM MDT

I didn't think it was creepy but it was super-annoying with my mother-in-law.  The thing she tried was positive thinking or the Law of Attraction.  It basically says that if you're happy and positive all the time you'll get rewarded with good things by some invisible force and if you're unhappy or negative you'll get punished with bad things by that invisible force.  

She also thought that what people believe will happen is what happens to them.  A perfect example of this way of thinking in action was the Titanic.  It was indestructible!  The people on it all believed it was indestructible!  It left Southampton, England on the 10th of April 1912 and it arrived in New York safely on the morning of the 17th of April 1912.  Oh wait, it didn't happen that way!  Maybe there was one person on board who ruined it for everybody else by worrying about it sinking.

The most annoying thing that my M-I-L did was tell people that bad stuff happened to them was because they secretly attracted it by having negative thoughts.  My husband said he tried the Law of Attraction sometime before we met but in his case all the books, worksheets, CDs and DVDs his mom gave him about positive thinking all went in the dumpster.

This post was edited by Livvie at July 15, 2020 6:02 PM MDT
      July 12, 2020 6:06 PM MDT

I don’t know how you put up with her lol. She would drive me nutz. 
      July 15, 2020 6:03 PM MDT

She finally snapped out of it when she had some some tragedies in life that she just couldn't deny away.  Denying and pretending bad things never happen were a big part of positive thinking to her.  
      July 15, 2020 6:58 PM MDT

It’s too bad it took a tragedy to snap her out of it, but yeah, bad things happen for no good reason and there’s no way to control that. The sooner in life learn that, the better IMO.   
      July 15, 2020 7:05 PM MDT