Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Transportation » If you’ve owned a few vehicles in your lifetime, it might be easy to say which was your favorite, or to rank your favorites. However,

If you’ve owned a few vehicles in your lifetime, it might be easy to say which was your favorite, or to rank your favorites. However,

this question asks the opposite; which has been your least favorite vehicle, and why?  If you care to list more than one vehicle as least favorites, please feel free to do so.

Mine were these two, a Ford Mustang and an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, the latter being the worst of the pair.

The Mustang was my first and last sports car. I found it to be slung way too low for my preferences, the way the driver’s seat was designed was far too “laid back” and could not be adjusted differently, much too restrictive field of visibility, too difficult to be seen by other drivers. I learned that sports cars are not my choice, and I have shied away from them ever since.

When I was growing up, my stepfather always said that a car is nothing but a hole to throw money into, and 15 years later, I had to agree with that sentiment because I became the owner of the Olds. It had so many mechanical problems that I called myself a member of the Part-of-the-Month-Club. I poured so much money into that clunker that I could have bought a second car. Finally, before it bankrupted me completely, it died an agonizing death and only more money would have resuscitated it. I was spunt. Instead of falling for that old trick, I became carless for almost a year until my job situation and accompanying financial status improved enough for me to find a more reliable replacement.

~

Posted - July 16, 2020

Responses

You Crack Me UP!!
    Thanks for the HUGE GIGGLE!!!!!

Speaking of WWII fighter pilots, did you build little fighter airplanes when you were a kid?  Did you hang them around your room, like they were flying??  
    Such an imagination you have, Randy D.
    You are such a character!!
    Happy! Happy!
      July 21, 2020 6:40 PM MDT

I put together airplanes, ships, tanks, cars, trucks, all of them. I loved that stuff!  Thanks for reminding me; I haven’t thought about those days  since I lived them back when I was a teen!

This post was edited by Randy D at July 22, 2020 4:33 AM MDT
      July 21, 2020 9:33 PM MDT

Big Smiles!!
    :) :)!!
      July 21, 2020 10:50 PM MDT

Oops, didn’t finish the answer. I never hung them from the curling ceiling, but I did display them in my room. I also made a diorama that was inspired by my penchant for WWII movies, it included a US tank, a German tank, several soldiers, etc. 
    ~

This post was edited by Randy D at July 22, 2020 7:03 AM MDT
      July 21, 2020 9:37 PM MDT

Even Bigger Smiles!
    I can imagine it was quite a scene you displayed!  
    Very Cool!
      July 21, 2020 10:51 PM MDT

Left hand lane. Australia uses the Brit system.
      July 21, 2020 7:31 PM MDT

I bought a new 1997 Dodge Dakota pickup truck. It was nice. until the warranty ran out. I began to have problems with it not starting. I took it to several shops who got it running again, for 6 months at a time. I began to buy the part in advance and kept tools to change the part. That worked out for several years. I parked it in my driveway where it is now fading into junk. 
      July 20, 2020 11:50 AM MDT

It's the path of most cars and trucks.  We keep putting money into them which gives them a retirement plan WELL before our own. 
    Why does it seem to always end up that way?
    ;) :)!!
      July 21, 2020 6:42 PM MDT

What year was the Olds? We had a 1966 F-85, a 1969 Cutlass, a 1973 Cutlass Salon (the car in which I learned to drive), and a 1978 Delta 88 (the car in which I went to college).
      July 21, 2020 6:47 PM MDT

Did Chrysler and Ford merge?  Was there ever a stick shift on those Old Olds?? 
    I feel old talking about these Olds.  Don't you?
    I just remember them being boats on wheels.  
    It's good to see you were in the "In Olds Crowd" then and now, too!
    ;) :)!!
      July 21, 2020 7:26 PM MDT

Chrysler never merged with Ford, but it was affiliated with Dodge and Plymouth. I do remember those Oldsmobiles being pretty big. Our '73 Cutlass Salon was considered a midsize model, but it had a 450 horsepower V-8 and was a real gas guzzler. We bought it early in 1973, about a year before the Arab oil embargo and resulting gas shortages and long lines at the pumps in 1974. Our '78 Delta 88, a full-size model, actually had a smaller engine.
      July 21, 2020 7:33 PM MDT

That was it!  Gotcha!!  I knew they merged with one of the other big american car makers.  I don't know why I was thinking Ford.  Lee Iacocca was the Main Man for the Mustang.  One car I've always wanted to own... just because of the name and my love of horses.
    Don had one once, for about a week.  He wrapped it around a tree and his dad never knew.  About the car or the tree.
    Totally off the subject.  Sorry!
    A gas guzzler, yes!  But the POWER!  I bet the smooth power was great!
      July 21, 2020 7:50 PM MDT

July 21, 2020 7:56 PM MDT