Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What's the most embarrassing thing your country's leader has ever done while in office?

What's the most embarrassing thing your country's leader has ever done while in office?

Nobody hacked my account!  I really am asking a political question, lol.  It was partially inspired but not directly inspired by a previous question and my answer to it.

Posted - July 26, 2020

Responses

He wore a pair of funky looking socks during an important TV interview. Cheers!
      July 26, 2020 10:19 AM MDT

He has good sock game, but if I were Canadian, I'd probably be a little embarrassed if he asked the Australian prime minister if he liked his socks.
      July 26, 2020 12:44 PM MDT

I would of been a lot embarrassed  if he asked the Australiana  prime minister if he liked his socks because  Canadians don't ask for compliments we fish for them. When he was talking to the Australian prime minister he had his  legs crossed and he had one leg extended towards the Australian prIme minister and he  wiggled his foot around hoping the Australian prime minister would bite and say - nice socks. Cheers!
      July 26, 2020 1:43 PM MDT

I only heard about Prime Minister Turnbull's side of the story.  The direct quote from him is “‘What do you think of the socks?’ he asked, crossing his legs as he sat down. ‘Justin,’ I said, ‘we’re not here to talk about your socks.'”

I haven't heard Prime Minister Trudeau's side of the story, but then again, Canadian news things only trickle down to the USA in little bits and pieces.  I can get a few Canadian AM stations at night, but I normally wouldn't listen to them, but in the daytime it's just some FM stations from Winnipeg that make it to the radio on the kitchen counter sometimes.

I don't know a whole lot about Malcolm Turnbull.  Maybe our Aussie friends will tell us if his story's believable or not.
      July 26, 2020 4:43 PM MDT

Authorizing the Watergate break-ins and trying to cover it up.
      July 26, 2020 11:46 AM MDT

There are countless embarrassing things he has done so far. It is not even possible to decide which one deserves that tag! This is so common now globally since most Prez/PMs are stupid in one or another way! 
      July 26, 2020 12:04 PM MDT

I don't hear a lot about President Kovind or Prime Minister Modi because world news isn't covered very well here, but then I miss out on a lot of things President Trump does just because it's the only thing our news ever talks about so a lot of it gets tuned out.
      July 26, 2020 12:50 PM MDT

That's partly because western media pays a lot more attention to US politics and current events than to those of India. It's less a function of who the individual leaders are. I bet more people in India have heard of Trump than people in the US have heard of Kovind or Modi. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at July 27, 2020 12:29 PM MDT
      July 26, 2020 3:25 PM MDT

Absolutely Right Stu!
      July 27, 2020 12:30 PM MDT

Here President has nothing to do with anything, it's only a constitutional post nothing else. It's a PM position that is at the helm just like President in case of US. President is a good and down to earth person but PM is the worst the country has ever got! Yes in depth world news is rare in most countries! Politics is at a new low worldwide!
      July 27, 2020 12:29 PM MDT

I didn't know that your Prime Minister had all the power but your President only holds a ceremonial position.  Our closest equivalent to a Prime Minister is Nancy Pelosi, who's in the number three position, but still holds a lot of power.
      July 27, 2020 9:22 PM MDT

Yeah India and US are so different in terms of political system and administrative constitution. Yes Ms. Pelosi holds a strong position in country's operations and administrations! In fact she seems bit smarter than Mr Trump! In here, Home minister holds the second position after PM. Anyways, how's democracy doing in US?
      July 29, 2020 11:37 AM MDT

As Spunky said, the current occupant has embarrassed himself so many times, it's difficult to choose. 

Here's a sampling:

- Praising a congressman who assaulted a reporter.

- Saying that some white supremacists are "good people".

- Lying about the size of the crowd at his inauguration.

- Covfefe

- Sh ithole Countries

- Admitting  to a Christian audience that he doesn't ask God for forgiveness for sins and mocks communion by        saying "I drink my little wine, have  the little cracker". 

- Mocking John McCain for being "captured" and saying that he wasn't a war hero

- Mocking a reporter with a disability

- Being on record as calling Jeffrey Epstein "a terrific guy" who "likes beautiful women as much as I do, many of      them are on the younger side", then denying his friendship with him and saying he "was not a fan". 

And on and on it goes. 

July 26, 2020 12:29 PM MDT

I am a U.S. citizen and we are a democracy so make up our own minds and determine our own course without resort to any "leader".  At least up to now. 
      July 26, 2020 7:46 PM MDT

Obama wore a tan suit. 

July 27, 2020 2:24 PM MDT