Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Politics » What's the most embarrassing thing your country's leader has ever done while in office?

What's the most embarrassing thing your country's leader has ever done while in office?

Nobody hacked my account!  I really am asking a political question, lol.  It was partially inspired but not directly inspired by a previous question and my answer to it.

Posted - July 26, 2020

Responses

Gone on holiday with his family in Hawaii while the East Coast of Australia was in the midst of the worst bushfires in its history.

I don't feel identified with him so I can't feel embarrassed by his behaviour,
    but he certainly made the Australian government look like a helpless child.
      July 26, 2020 3:30 AM MDT

That's as close to fiddling while Rome burns as a modern-day head-of-state can get.  If I were an Aussie, that's probably the first comparison I would think to use on him.

I don't take my own country's leadership personally, but sometimes there are just some face-in-palm moments.  The question that made me think of this question was Cosmic Wunderkind's question: https://answermug.com/forums/topic/112394/has-anybody-notice-that-donald-trumps-facial-expressions-have-ch/view/post_id/814422

It made me think a little about the people we're choosing.  The Democrats had a choice, and of all the people they could've chosen, they chose a guy who checked out a long time ago.  An opponent who acts like a normal human being couldn't possibly lose to Joe Biden, oh wait, Joe Biden's opponent can actually screw it up and lose to him!  Whoever wins our next Presidential election will only win by pure luck.  I don't consider myself liberal or conservative, so from my point-of-view it really looks like Democrats and Republicans are trying to out-stupid each other sometimes.
      July 26, 2020 4:49 AM MDT

Scummo piddled while home burned.
      July 26, 2020 4:41 PM MDT

Spot on!
    Our cartoonists did great things with the Nero theme.

It seems that all over the world Democracies are having increasing trouble getting competent candidates to stand for office. The choices offered on both sides rarely match the standard needed for the job.

It would be a horrible job to do, so I'm not surprised.
      July 29, 2020 2:43 AM MDT

I know Albo personally, and I'm absolutely certain he'd be a sterling PM. He took a lost 17-year-old under his wing at a Young Labor Council meeting in 1986 - as a Centre Left adherent I had few political friends in NSW.
      July 29, 2020 4:28 AM MDT

There is not enough room on here to put into words all the things that Donald Trump has done that have embarrassed this country.
      July 26, 2020 7:46 AM MDT

You think Trump is more embarrassing than Nixon and Watergate? Could be recency bias.
      July 26, 2020 10:44 AM MDT

I was much younger when Nixon was president and not as politically active.  Nixon, at least, had the good sense to resign from office.
      July 26, 2020 10:59 AM MDT

Good sense? He was forced to resign to avoid impeachment and near-certain conviction for criminal acts. Trump is more a buffoon than the total crook Nixon was. I say a crook is worse than a buffoon, although, perhaps, not by much.
      July 26, 2020 11:50 AM MDT

Trump is just as much a crook.  You don't think he's stealing from the American people?  Every time he goes to play golf it costs us millions and he stays at his own properties but charges for the Secret Service who travel with him.  Please!
      July 26, 2020 4:01 PM MDT

You may be right, but such a case against Trump is primarily speculation, at least at present. There was black-and-white, incontrovertible evidence implicating Nixon such as the White House tapes and testimony from staff and cabinet members - John Dean, John Erlichman, HR Haldemann et al. If you haven't read the book or seen the film "All the President's Men," I highly recommend it. There really hasn't been a case like it against any other president in US history. Whatever people think Trump has done, Nixon was PROVEN to have done worse. There's no doubt that Nixon was the biggest crook ever elected. Sadly, however, he accomplished more in 5 1/2 years as president than Trump could ever hope to.
      July 26, 2020 4:42 PM MDT

Yes, it was proved against Nixon because the people around him weren't eunuchs like the GOP or this administration is today.  Don't you realize that if Trump and his finances and business dealings were on the up and up he wouldn't be fighting so hard to keep the information from coming out.  
      July 26, 2020 7:31 PM MDT

That may be true, but all I am saying is that nothing has been proven, thus far at least, as it was with Nixon. You can speculate all you like as to why, but there it is. "All the President's Men" revealed that it was no easy process with Nixon, either. It took a lot of hard work and digging by Carl Bernstein, Bob Woodward, and others and, ultimately, the anonymous informant known as "Deep Throat" to nail Nixon. If, as you believe, there's fire behind all that smoke, perhaps a similar process will unfold. Or better yet, Trump will be voted out in November and just go away.
      July 26, 2020 8:26 PM MDT

Voting him out will take the least amount of time, so if those are the choices, that's my choice.  
      July 27, 2020 8:49 AM MDT

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.  Claiming to be a genius because you can remember 5 words is way more embarrassing then what Nixon did.
      July 26, 2020 11:12 AM MDT

Although what Nixon did was, you know, a crime that forced him to resign in the face of impeachment and likely conviction. Trump is merely guilty of poor form.
      July 26, 2020 11:44 AM MDT

Poor form?  That's like saying Jeffrey Dahmer used the wrong fork for his salad.
      July 26, 2020 4:05 PM MDT

See my post above. Unless and until there is proof of crimes by Trump as there was with Nixon, what else would you call it? The Russia and Ukraine things turned out to be nothing that could be pinned on him. With Nixon, lots of folks disliked him and looked for reasons (other than voting) to get rid of him. They found one with Watergate. With Trump, lots of folks dislike him and are looking for reasons (other than voting) to get rid of him. They haven't found one yet. That's why I can't understand how anyone can say Trump is worse or a bigger crook than Nixon was.
      July 26, 2020 4:51 PM MDT

I'd like to see what would have happened with the results from Mueller's investigation if the practice was that you couldn't indict a sitting president.  There is no doubt in my mind that Trump has done illegal and/or traitorous things since he's been in office and he does them out in the daylight, yet no one has the guts to take him on.  The nepotism alone in his administration is unethical.  So many of his bureaus are headed by temporary people because he knows they would never meet the qualifications to be approved by Congress.  The qualified people don't get listened to if what they have to say doesn't comport with Trump's way of thinking.  His about face regarding how to handle the pandemic are not because he's seen the scientific light, but because that stand has made Biden more popular in the polls.  He once claimed that his administration ran like a well-oiled machine.  True - if that machine was a wood chipper.
      July 26, 2020 7:41 PM MDT

A sitting president can be indicted via impeachment, as Trump was.
      July 26, 2020 8:29 PM MDT

Then what was all the hullabaloo about not being able to indict a sitting president?  Would that have been for crimes on a different level?
      July 27, 2020 8:51 AM MDT

Some doctor said that crowing about being able to pass that test is like telling people you tied your own shoes.
      July 26, 2020 4:01 PM MDT

Ya and we don't really know if Trump passed the test . Maybe someday he will have a photo op with the test and there will be a trunk draw on the rino because that is the one Trump identified as an elephant. Cheers!
      July 26, 2020 4:22 PM MDT

July 26, 2020 8:33 AM MDT