Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Do you think that the average local TV news “personalities” merely read what’s put in front of them, or are they true journalists?

Do you think that the average local TV news “personalities” merely read what’s put in front of them, or are they true journalists?

~

Posted - July 26, 2020

Responses

They are reading it. When they make a mistake that is really stupid, then repeat the same mistake, you can tell it was the editor's fault when printing the teleprompter. I even called a local station once telling them they made a big error. They already caught it. Also outside reporters are often seen looking at their phones.
      July 27, 2020 9:31 AM MDT

Good Morning and I was thinking the same thing at the same time....
    I'm just a bit more wordy and am sure I don't type as quickly as you!
    I love ya!
    :) :)!!
      July 27, 2020 9:41 AM MDT

“Look” at their phones?  Here locally, what irks me is that the new trend with so-called “reporters” is that like every other millennial, they have that danged cellphone balanced in one hand and they can barely look away from it the entire time they are on camera! Someone should hack into their feeds midsentence and type a line or two of utter malarkey (more malarkeyish than what’s already being spewed), the bobble-head won’t even notice the difference. 

~

July 27, 2020 10:57 AM MDT

That would be great fun, but many viewers wouldn't notice.
      July 27, 2020 11:21 AM MDT

Oh my Gosh!  This is a no brainer.
    They read what is put in front of them.  The only talent they needed to get the job was a big head* (visually and probably egotistically, too) and the ability to read out loud with flexuation in their voices.
    If they were able to carry the style of clothing, the look people liked to look at and carry "chatty interludes" with their co-workers, they might make it.

It's funny you asked this question a couple days ago because Don and I were talking about newscasters and the champs.

Walter Cronkite came to mind.

I haven't seen nor heard a TRUE News Man or Women in years.

*The comment about the big head was in direct association with Merv Griven.  He said, you physically need a big head to project a comfortable image to view on TV.

He said it... not me!!
    ;) :)!!

July 27, 2020 9:37 AM MDT

We have a weather-guesser here with a large head and a very thin body...and bad scoliosis. A few of the national news anchors are pretty good. Gayle King and a few others come to mind. This post was edited by Element 99 at July 28, 2020 10:56 AM MDT
      July 27, 2020 11:24 AM MDT

I can't speak for or about any other news personalities but my local newscasters are true journalists. The news you see and hear is what they go out and gather themselves then broadcast what they find. Much of which is done from the location of the breaking news. What I especially appreciate about the journalists here is that they report all of the news in an unbiased and honest manner.
      July 27, 2020 5:31 PM MDT

When on scene they are on their own.  When in studio reporting they are often reading....you can tell.  Sometimes they just have bullets....that's for the more seasoned ones. 
      July 27, 2020 7:22 PM MDT