Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Is there one song for you that you, for yourself, call "The Best Song I've Ever Heard"?

Is there one song for you that you, for yourself, call "The Best Song I've Ever Heard"?

I enjoy a HUGE amount of music styles, and I have many "favorites," but I do have one song I call the "Best Song I've Ever Heard" (and I know I've said it a lot on the site here)

Lyrics, music, performance, instrumental accompaniment -- this one is up there all by itself for me:

"Ode To Billie Joe"    Bobbie Gentry

Posted - July 27, 2020

Responses

Nope. 

I like thousands of songs, maybe tens of thousands. It’s too difficult to single out just one of them as the best. 

~

July 27, 2020 11:00 AM MDT

I actually thought of you when I was posting my question because I've often read, and liked, your thoughts on my topic here. You've mentioned your similar train of thought on several topics, as far as choosing one top favorite. I, too, enjoy and like so many songs and artists and styles (heck, The Pointer Sisters, Patsy Cline, Nirvana's "All Apologies" song, Johnny Nash, Chris Isaak, Howard Jones, my favorite group Simple Minds -- just to name a few --  and all the tons of classical music and composers) that I even surprise myself in still always going to Gentry's song for my Top Choice. 
    Can't really explain it, I guess.
    I'm sure it's in part, because it's one of the first songs I remember as a young boy listening to over and over. And I do mean young -- six or seven years old, I think. The song's morbidity is not so much what draws me in. Maybe it is. At a young age, I knew the song was all about sadness but it was "Gentry's/the song's narrator's" own sadness as she sang that drew me in. adn the wonderful music of the song and poetry, with unexpected "I'll have another piece of apple pie" and "Pass the biscuits, please."
    And I'd, for hours, listen over and over to the background string arrangement backing up Gentry's vocals and guitar. The song is flawless to me.

And on and on I go, ha!

But I do get your very valid point and I agree. :)
      July 27, 2020 12:15 PM MDT

Thank you. Personally, I think that saying one particular song by one particular artist or group dismisses other great songs, so I never even attempt it. Also, certain songs resonate for different reasons. A dance song, a sad song, a romantic song, a funny song, a protest song, a patriot song, an upbeat song, an eerie or spooky song, a nostalgic song, an optimist song, a sensual song, a ballad, a spiritual song, a parody, all of them have their own special attractions to the people who like them. 

~

July 27, 2020 12:38 PM MDT

I agree. :)
    Yes!

And I don't mean to dismiss other music by claiming a "best" for me - - I enjoy music that fits all of your named categories and even more categories. I'm sure you have tons more, too. Somehow, though, Gentry's song stills hovers above all, but not in a haughty way -- I don't mean my "best" in that way.

Like I said, somehow I cannot quite explain the song's effect on me. And perhaps my question would be bettered by using the word "favorite" ("favourite,' if Element 99 is reading, ha). But, even then, I'd still choose Gentry's song.

And I do not mean that I think it's the very best song for the rest of the people in the world. I mean only "my" personal choice of best. 

Again, I thought of you when I asked the question just because of the importance of word choice. And somehow I had to choose words to make the question, yet, I know the question is, in some ways, more detailed for me, in spite of the "best" word. And just saying "best" is so exclusive.  I do find the song exclusively my best but not to the detriment of the thousands of other songs I adore.

And I just keep talking, not quite succeeding how I'd like in trying to explain myself, ha! ("How far would I go to explain myself?")  Ha!

:)
      July 27, 2020 1:14 PM MDT

I understand your points 100%, and it all makes sense to me. 

July 27, 2020 2:10 PM MDT

Excellent!
    Thanks!
      July 27, 2020 7:59 PM MDT

I change my favourite song about four times a year.
      July 27, 2020 11:30 AM MDT

GrrreATTTTTT idea!! I like it!!

Nirvana's "All Apologies" - -- that one is sticking with me SO much lately -- only in that it's been in only the last year I found out who sang the song and what the title was - - have enjoyed that song a long time and never paid enough attention to the details to find out who sang it.  :)

And then there's Percy Faith orchestra's 'Theme from 'A Summer Place' "  
    And Christina Perri's "Jar of Hearts" - -
     and . . .
      July 27, 2020 12:18 PM MDT

Ya Hippy Chick by Soho. Cheers!
      July 27, 2020 12:20 PM MDT

I will check it out later! I'm off for a bit (in more ways than one, ha) Thanks, Nanoose!
      July 27, 2020 1:16 PM MDT

Where have I been in my life?! I've never heard of this song - - I never heard of Jane S's song, either, until just now.

I love this Soho song! I never heard of this group before, either. Never heard this song -- it is so good! I especially love that rhythm/drums/bass/all of it. And their vocals just are perfect -- the whole thing just cooks! That was fun! Two songs in a row now that I've never heard. This was fun!
      July 27, 2020 8:13 PM MDT

Ya Hippy Chick is pretty cool - I think  one of the things that makes it cool is it is sung by identical twin sisters so its almost like they sing with one voice. Hippy Chick is about a lady who is falling out of love with  her man becaus he is a cop and on the news she watches the cops follow orders from the goverment and beat up peacefull  protesters during the coal miners strick in England back in the 80s. These days in America cops are beating up peacefull protesters so I imagine its creating a new generation of no hippy chicks and soon they will be singing their song. Cheers! This post was edited by Nanoose at July 27, 2020 9:11 PM MDT
      July 27, 2020 8:53 PM MDT

I watched the video but not really closely because the music was so enticing -- but, yeah - - the women are very identical! Great voices! And they do sing like one. I think siblings sometimes "click" together easily -- The Pointer Sisters are like that for me. The four of them (or, three, when they were a trio) sing together like one singing entity.

Interesting background story of Hippy Chick song, too. :)

July 27, 2020 8:59 PM MDT

July 27, 2020 2:19 PM MDT

Dedicated to Randall D, my little Sugar Lump?  

(I’m so happy, folks!)
    ~

July 27, 2020 4:38 PM MDT

I've never heard this song before, until just now. Very nice!
    I've not heard anything by Warwick that I haven't liked. I don't know a whole lot of her stuff but I always like what I hear.
      July 27, 2020 8:06 PM MDT

Back off, Pal; she meant it for ME!

~

July 27, 2020 8:10 PM MDT

Okay!

Daffy Scared of Spiders (2019 Short Film) | The JH Movie ...
      July 27, 2020 8:14 PM MDT

No, this one by her sister is for you!

July 28, 2020 3:07 PM MDT

I bought this album (Valley of the Dolls) when I was in high school. I love every song on it and I wore out two copies of it -these were pre-digital days. I had trouble picking just one song as my 'favorite'. I could have picked any one as my 'favorite'.
      July 28, 2020 3:01 PM MDT

Is this song from the movie of the same title?
    I've never seen the movie?
    I think I wold wear this album out, too, based on the two songs you've shared. God, Warwick is amazing!
      July 28, 2020 6:45 PM MDT

She sang the theme song from the movie on this album. My second post is the entire album(I think) and that song starts at 6:50. I'm glad you like her as much as I do!
      July 29, 2020 10:58 AM MDT

Pick a genre. I have several "faves" in most of them, the exception being rap. All rap is garbage.
      July 27, 2020 4:56 PM MDT

That's what is so interesting about my answer for me -- I, too, like you, have many favorites in many genres but Bobbie Gentry's song still tops my list of all of them.

But, for fun, I'll say the country western genre.

And I still am really grateful you introduced me to that "Eagle Rock" song! I love it! I've listened to it several times in the last weeks. :) Now I forget the group's name - - Daddy Cool, I think , but for some reason that doesn't seem  correct. And then you said they broke up and the lead singer and others made a new group and you shared a song by them, too, that I liked. The video had everyone in cars at a beach -- with the focus on a young male and female couple.
      July 27, 2020 8:22 PM MDT