Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Where is the liberal left’s righteous indignation when Democrats are indicted for offenses committed within the scope of elected office?

Where is the liberal left’s righteous indignation when Democrats are indicted for offenses committed within the scope of elected office?

Politicians of any party or of no party whatsoever are human beings, and are therefore fallible. Being in a particular party doesn’t automatically make one human being better or worse than any other human being. Character and morals are a person issue, not a party issue. Had the suspects and/or convicted parties and/or resignees been conservative/right wing, the left has always and quickly shone a bright spotlight of finger-pointing, but crickets chirp when their own do the exact same things. I am NOT saying that either sect is wholly perfect nor wholly imperfect, I’m just asking if equal measure is given when anyone violates laws and moral conduct, regardless of stripes. 

It gets old constantly hearing, “Republicans this, Republicans that” and “ALL Republicans are this and ALL Republicans are that”.  The labeling of racism, bigotry, hatred, elitist, selfish, etc., let’s try a little honesty and evenhandedness. 

I’m only citing these few recent examples, but they are certainly not the only ones:

Tennessee State Senator Katrina Robinson (D).

California State Assemblyman Phil Ting (D). 

California Representative Katie Hill (D).

New Hampshire Representative Richard M. Komi (D). 

Minnesota State Senator Al Franken (D).

~

Posted - July 30, 2020

Responses

I would love to read a response to that from the lady in the corner, but she never replies to other folks' questions.
      July 30, 2020 9:57 PM MDT

• Al Franken and Katie Hill resigned as a result of what happened and they were condemned by both sides. I'm not sure why you think there was no "indignation". When they resign rather than double down and deny, that eliminates the need for a drawn-out public fight, so maybe these examples were not as "dramatic" as, say, Roy Moore. 

Of course it's the case that both sides are hesitant to condemn their own, but it does happen. People feel the need to defend their "brothers in ideology". It's sad. They excuse wrongdoing when someone from "their side" does it. Absolutely there is much hypocrisy in politics. 

But at the same time, it gets tiresome hearing Republicans say "All Democrats are communists! Democrats hate America! Democrats are anti-Christian and hate white people!" Again, not at all limited to one side. It just depends on your source and your environment. I spend a lot of time online so I hear a lot from both.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 31, 2020 2:11 PM MDT
      July 30, 2020 9:58 PM MDT

I’m referring to the imbalance in how indignant the rebuke is when it’s the Democrats’ own wrongdoings that are laid bare to the public eye.

When one is backed up against a wall (figuratively) and has no other choice than to resign, that’s not the same thing as his or her peers raising dust over the wrong acts.  While you have a good point that both sides of the political aisle spoke out against Franken and Hill, the fervor with which it was done was kid gloves compared to the bilateral versions of it  Both Franken and Hill represented an embarrassment to the Democrats, yet their resignations were merely swept under the rug after the fact. It’s the degree of fervor that I’m comparing here; for instance, Michelle Obama patted herself on the back with her, “When they go low, we go high” speech, yet what are her remarks when Democrats fail to go high?

You’re absolutely correct on what you wrote about Republicans bashing Democrats, and it needs to end just the way the chiding that I wrote about needs to end. There are numerous sources that examine the daily banter re politics here on AnswerMug, and looking at a totality of  the posts throughout, it’s quite noticeable that the scales tip at anti-Republicans +51%, maybe as high as +91%.   The self-same people who post that traffic rarely if ever acknowledge that there is also plenty of negative behavior carried out by their own team.
    ~

July 31, 2020 3:31 AM MDT

I think that's a fair comment.

I remember a time several years ago when it seemed (to me) there were far more right wingers here, people like Nimitz (kicked off) and OfficeGirl (still around but appears much less frequently.)
    The odds seemed more even back then.

Some of the lefties really were aggressive in what I imagine they thought was campaigning for their cause.
    Old Skool was a sharp thinker with an encyclopedic mind, but a tongue that sprayed acid in the face of anyone on the right.
    Sharonna, for all her stagey vitriol, was more like a dwarf jumping up and down, brandishing a butterknife and saying "come on, come on, fight me, I dare you!"

What I really don't understand about the States, is why some people think that character assassination is effective politics.

Isn't it more effective to argue about policies?
    What if we brought evidence to the table?
    What if we dug out the studies on various issues produced by experts?
    How about using the statistics that governments collect to assist them with evaluation and planning?
    What if we compared home systems with those used in other countries and compared the results?

Market and political analysts everywhere say people vote with their emotions, not their heads.
    But I wonder if there have been forces that have encouraged this...
    And whether it could be changed by taking a different approach in public debates... This post was edited by inky at July 31, 2020 3:34 PM MDT
      July 31, 2020 2:05 PM MDT

Character assassination is a wholly accurate description of what’s taking place here, thank you!

I have long stated that the childishness and immaturity of tactics such as name-calling and attacking politicians’ minor children and shaming opponents’ looks/physical condition/facial features/hair/age-related issues all need to stop. Then, when any voice challenges these low-brow games, all of a sudden the name-calling is redirected there, with claims of stupidity and hatefulness. These playground moves do absolutely nothing to intelligently present a viable argument, yet they are the favored strategy of far too many people. I wonder if it is a lack of substance in their positions that causes them to play to the lowest common denominator, much like the person who reverts to profanity-laced diatribes only due to the inability to express himself or herself any other way.
    ~

July 31, 2020 3:32 PM MDT

When Labour or the Greens do something wrong over here, I feel deep sadness and a sense of vicarious shame.
    I wish to hell they hadn't been so damned stupid. And I wish they'd been proof against greed and dishonesty.
    I wonder how they got where they were without others noticing their underhanded character.

Labour politicians have been caught using their influence to gain advantage in land, development and mining deals - usually at state level. They get stood down. And no one wants them back again.
    Three Greens (males) have been caught drunk and molesting or harassing female volunteers.

They're all out of course, resigning freely or kicked out, immediately if its a serious crime, or if it's a misdemeanour they leave office when the next election comes up.

Unfortunately, it's not the same for incompetence. We suffer them the whole way to the next election.

Frankly, I think both sides of politics frequently suffer from mediocrity.
    Brilliant political representatives and leaders are rare. This post was edited by inky at July 31, 2020 1:49 PM MDT
      July 31, 2020 2:11 AM MDT