Discussion » Questions » Environment » I got a mysterious packet of seeds in the mail. I planted them and now I have these popping up all over ...

I got a mysterious packet of seeds in the mail. I planted them and now I have these popping up all over ...

Posted - August 1, 2020

Responses

I knew it...they are alien seeds.
      August 1, 2020 5:19 AM MDT

That's a triffid.
      August 1, 2020 8:40 AM MDT

Gee, that’s strange.  I received a package of seeds from China also, I planted them, but my results were vastly different . . .

DISCLAIMER: to be fair, I have to say that this photo was taken a few months after harvesting.  (Cough, cough.)
    ~

August 1, 2020 6:57 AM MDT

Village of the Damned? That's not your baby!
      August 1, 2020 8:43 AM MDT

Whew!  No child-support lawsuits!

~

August 1, 2020 10:52 AM MDT

"A spokesperson for the USDA said the department is urging anyone who receives the packages not to plant them and to contact their state plant regulatory official and keep the seeds and packaging, including the mailing label, until they receive further instruction.

"At this time, we don’t have any evidence indicating this is something other than a 'brushing scam' where people receive unsolicited items from a seller who then posts false customer reviews to boost sales," the statement said. "USDA is currently collecting seed packages from recipients and will test their contents and determine if they contain anything that could be of concern to U.S. agriculture or the environment."

https://news.yahoo.com/usda-identifies-mysterious-unsolicited-seeds-163440971.html

August 1, 2020 7:00 AM MDT

That thing looks like one of those 'Stinking Corpse'  plants.
      August 1, 2020 2:47 PM MDT

It's a triffid.
      August 2, 2020 12:19 AM MDT

Is that the one that smells of rotting flesh?

August 2, 2020 3:20 PM MDT

Be Responsible Not Gullible - Do Not Plant Them!

Two reasons:

- These packets of seeds are sent as part of some strange fraud - I don't claim to understand what or how, but anyway do you really think any genuine company would ever send you unsolicited goods like that?

- You have no idea of their species, strain or quality, nor, worse, what stray seeds, spores or bacteria your planting of them will introduce that could be serious pests not only in your own garden but also the wider environment. Think of Japanese Knotweed, for example.

In Britain, DEFRA or other relevant body should be notified of any receipt of unsolicited, suspicious packets of seeds, not least because we have very strict rules on importing plants or plant material from abroad, for very good reasons.

X
      August 16, 2020 5:41 PM MDT