Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Men, do you leave the toilet seat up or down?

Men, do you leave the toilet seat up or down?

After you pee do you leave the toilet seat up or down? At home I always put it back down when done, as I like my bathroom to look halfway decent. It's sorta what I was taught as a young boy too. It's a very rare occasion that I leave it up, if I do, it honestly slipped my mind for some reason. In a public restroom I don't worry about it, though in that case I usually always use the urinals to pee anyways. This might be an old debate. Reason I thought to ask this though, is I invited a male friend to dinner tonight. They asked to use my bathroom before leaving, which was fine. After they leave though, I go into my bathroom and find it left up, not surprised, but it made me wonder. I understand most men don't or so I think.

Posted - August 1, 2020

Responses

I always put the seat and lid down because if I don't my dog will drink out of the toilet. Cheers and  happy weekend!
      August 1, 2020 10:11 PM MDT

Good man there. Yeah I put the lid down just as well, just didn't mention that part.
      August 1, 2020 10:15 PM MDT

Down. I share the house with three women. I don't care to be chewed out by my wife, my daughter and my niece.
      August 2, 2020 12:59 AM MDT

August 2, 2020 8:09 AM MDT

• I usually leave it down by default, even though currently I have my own bathroom. 
      August 2, 2020 10:54 AM MDT

I always put both the seat and lid down.  

- It's more sanitary (spray files when you flush)
    - If anyone comes over there's no issue
    - So the cats can't accidentally fall in (and then fling toilet water all over the house) 
    - So nothing can fall into it (or should I say, so the cats can't push anything into it)
      August 2, 2020 12:38 PM MDT

Good point on all four counts you give. I also keep both seat and lid down, just didn't mention lid in my question, more was thinking of seat to be the common thing. So far I hear down on this post, when I see so many men leave it up in public restrooms, and in their homes too, when I visit. The only issue I have when someone comes over is they may leave the seat up after they leave, as I mentioned in my question.
      August 2, 2020 12:50 PM MDT

I can't remember.
      August 2, 2020 12:53 PM MDT