Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Poll: which of the two vehicles in this accident originally had the right of way? (See gif below.)

Poll: which of the two vehicles in this accident originally had the right of way? (See gif below.)

A. The black hatchback.
B. The grey van.
C. Both.
D. Neither.
E. The one driven by the person willing to pay me the most money for choosing him/her.
F. I’m not sure, but I hope the police have begun an investigation on the husband of the woman on the sidewalk.  That looks like an attempt on her life to me.
G. I’m not testifying for you, Randy D, I know you were eating a sandwich instead of watching the road.
H. Two or more of the above.
I. None of the above/other answer.

~

Posted - September 19, 2020

Responses

G
      September 19, 2020 12:40 PM MDT

Hey!

:|

September 19, 2020 12:52 PM MDT

• A. The black hatchback.
      September 19, 2020 12:44 PM MDT

I

(Insufficient information)
      September 19, 2020 12:47 PM MDT

I agree with you. I couldn’t tell for sure either, so that’s why I submitted the poll.

It’s not clear if there’s a traffic light or stop sign or other markets that indicate right of way, and with the speed they’re both traveling, either one could be in the wrong or in the right. I wonder if neither one of the drivers was fully paying attention.  

~

September 19, 2020 12:56 PM MDT

Yeah---was it a controlled intersection or just subject to the driving manual for the location.
      September 19, 2020 6:19 PM MDT

J...Texting fools
    play rough 
      September 19, 2020 2:18 PM MDT

B. Grey van. 

The black car did not yield to oncoming traffic before it entered the vans traffic lane.  We can see both sides of the road the van is traveling.  The van had neither a Stop sign, Stop light nor a Yield sign. This post was edited by my2cents at September 20, 2020 6:47 AM MDT
      September 19, 2020 2:18 PM MDT

B. There are no stop signs on the street where the van is traveling and the cars following it are also not slowing down. I can deduce that any stop signs must be on the cross street where the hatchback is traveling. 
      September 19, 2020 2:20 PM MDT

A. The black hatchback.

I don't see a stop sign, yield sign or end-of-priority sign on the black hatchback's street.  I don't see a priority sign on the gray van's street either, so unless either of the streets have any of those signs but they're just out of view, the black hatchback has the right-of-way.  

In places where traffic drives on the right side of the road, like in your gif, the car on the right from the driver's point-of-view always has the right of way when there aren't any stop, yield or priority signs.
      September 19, 2020 2:56 PM MDT

You don’t think that the van is traveling on a main road and the car on a side street?  If that is so on both counts, wouldn’t the van have the right of way?
    ~

September 19, 2020 5:20 PM MDT

It doesn't make a difference.  Where I live in South Dakota, most intersections on minor roads don't have stop signs or yield signs, so it's always the car on the right from the driver's point-of-view that has the right of way.  The exception is if it's a T intersection, then the driver on the road that continues has the right-of-way.  However, most minor roads here do have stop or yield signs where they cross a major road.

In Europe, lots of roads don't have stop or yield signs at intersections, so traffic on the road that has priority has the right-of-way.  Those roads have a priority signs on them, which is a sign we don't have in the USA or Canada.  

If neither road has priority, then the car on that's the right from the driver's point-of-view has right-of-way, but I think that's reversed in places where traffic drives on the left.  If a road doesn't have the priority sign on it, it doesn't make a difference if it looks more important or is wider than the cross streets.

The priority sign that means the road you're on automatically has right-of-way (not used in USA and Canada):

The priority sign that means the road you're on does not have automatic right-of-way (also not used in USA and Canada):

September 19, 2020 7:10 PM MDT

Thank you for all that background. I know that your background expertise in the trucking business has given you particular insights, I appreciate you sharing it. My driving experience outside of the US was mostly in Okinawa, Japan. My experiences as a passenger outside of the US covers about twenty countries worldwide, and I wasn’t aware of the priority signs until reading it here from you. 

~

This post was edited by Randy D at September 20, 2020 12:05 PM MDT
      September 19, 2020 7:15 PM MDT

H
      September 19, 2020 6:31 PM MDT

WHICH ONES?  Arrrrrrrggggghhhh. I’m not a dentist, you know!

September 19, 2020 7:17 PM MDT

E - if the amount of money was substantial enough that the overall good outweighed the bad I was doing

F, G
      September 19, 2020 7:21 PM MDT

D. They're both on the wrong side of the road.
      September 19, 2020 9:08 PM MDT

Danged Aussie. Grrrrr. 

~

September 20, 2020 4:40 AM MDT

Van, I want to know if that person in all black walking on the side walk is a man or a woman. It looks like a man but is carrying a purse, and the extra wide leg pants are awful to me whether is a man or woman. I hate this gif. 

September 20, 2020 6:48 AM MDT

It looks like a man to me. He is even holding the purse with his elbow at first.
      September 20, 2020 6:56 AM MDT

Oh yeah, I see what you mean about the way he was carrying it at first. He’s most likely carrying it for someone. 

September 20, 2020 7:22 AM MDT

I won’t touch my wife’s purse, especially not in public!  One of the fellas might see me.

(Well, when we’re at home and no one else is there to see me except her, I might touch it every now and then with the express purpose of getting money out of it, BUT THAT’S ALLLLLLLLLLL.  Shhhhh.)

September 20, 2020 12:21 PM MDT

I think that person is a man. Why do you hate the gif?

~

September 20, 2020 12:06 PM MDT

Too much going on in it and it stresses me out. 
      September 20, 2020 1:21 PM MDT