Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » What's the point of staying alive when you have no will to live?

What's the point of staying alive when you have no will to live?

Especially when you realise that life is pointless, nothing that you do will ever matter. So you might s well die today.

You "like/love/enjoy" things because they trigger dopamine release in your brain. One can easily mimic the same "feeling/emotions" with substances like cocaine or MDMA.

There's absolutely nothing in the entire universe that I would ever want.

Posted - July 2, 2016

Responses

When you die you leave a vacancy where the world is short one person so shouldn't it be your responsibility to first make sure that vacancy can be filled before you decide to "go"?
      July 2, 2016 7:46 AM MDT

You have to figure that out.  The weakest among us will find that to be too hard or too much work.  Most of us struggle in our youth with those questions but never fall into a wish to kill ourselves.  Mental illness is a different story though.   Most people who go through suicidal periods and come out are eventually happy they kept their gift of life; the others we, of course, do not know if they are pleased with their decision or not.   Choose life.  Please.  Serving others may give your life the meaning it is missing.  

I will tell you that drugs and rock and roll will never give you what you seek. 

July 2, 2016 7:51 AM MDT
  • D&D

I ask myself the same question every day.

It boils down to:

a) I don't want to hurt my family like that. My family is not ordinary. It's a long story.

b) Survival instinct. 

July 2, 2016 9:07 AM MDT
  • D&D

I think because I realise there are people who need me and suicide will make their lives even more miserable. When they have been through hell and back I cannot abandon them. In a way, I think this is what a good parent does for his child. I do not want them to feel this pain. If we'd all go out together I'd be dandy. So happy even.

July 2, 2016 9:19 AM MDT

It could be a lifetime challenge for you to make life seem worthwhile.
      July 2, 2016 9:22 AM MDT

Do you know there are people alive who have been where you have been and come out the other side?  Some people are so filled with ecstacy, they also want to die, because they cannot wait to see what better adventures lie beyond this one.   So be happy.  It pays better.

I don't care.   So take your misery somewhere else.  I have tried talking to you, but you like to celebrate your misery and try and spread it around.

If you thought about anything else, you might find some relief.  If you cannot get it up, then seek real help instead of trying to infect everyone else who is weak enough to listen to this garbage from you all the time.

The only one who will NOT kill themselves is the person who keeps talking about it for attention.  And if I am wrong?  Only you will do what you intend to do anyway.

Pick up a phone and get some help.  Get off your miserable butt and do something.   Otherwise you will get up tomorrow and feel the same way.

Up to you.  

https://www.rexulti.com/us/mdd/about-depression/?ceid=9187&utm_...

July 2, 2016 10:44 AM MDT

• The off-season is hard for all of us. 

July 2, 2016 10:47 AM MDT

Oh well try make the best of your time anyway.

I read the (short) book of Ecclesiastes some time ago; says in there that 'the dead are better off than the living'. I can't wait to see but I think I 'll wait till my time comes naturally. I 'm 70 so not too many years now.
    Ecclesiastes is also known to be atheist's favorite book of the bible. Give it a read...
      July 2, 2016 10:52 AM MDT

Ok.
      July 2, 2016 11:09 AM MDT

• If I have to suffer than you have to also.

July 2, 2016 11:12 AM MDT

Feelings and attitudes change, and you may find living worthwhile if you survive to gain that perception.

If you choose suicide, the majority of attempts end in failure. If you jump from a building, you may survive to become paralyzed or, at best, drag one leg. People have even been known to survive shooting themselves in the head, horribly disfigured and mentally disabled. THEN you would appreciate how good you had it before you did something stupid.

Even if you are terminally ill, have no hope, and will be dead within days, those around you will look at your example of fighting to the end. If they later develop potentially fatal health problems, they may do as you did, find ways to persist instead of giving up,  and then survive because of it.

July 2, 2016 11:54 AM MDT

The best part of life
    You have not experienced yet.
    ...The part of life that is visible and known Is just the surface of consciousness, which is where most people are stuck.
    ...attached to our thoughts, we go around in circles without any relief
    From all that we hang on to.
    ... There is a depth of understanding
    That all people can reach if they look within and find their happiness.
    ...otherwise we are lost in the illusion and duality of maya.
    ...look deeper to discover
    Your bliss.
    All is not lost
    Just waiting to be found.
      July 2, 2016 11:58 AM MDT

probably cause things can change

July 2, 2016 6:29 PM MDT

I care about you, as so does God. The point of staying alive is to love others and to do good in the world. To kill yourself is hurting your loved once and families life forever. Don't hurt them like that, please. If you are depressed than call a crisis line, talk to a counselor, try meds until one works (usually they are very effective after 2 months (SSRI's) Depression is not lasting usually.

July 2, 2016 7:33 PM MDT