Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Politics » Why are Republicans not ashamed and embarrassed at Trump trying and failing to force the courts to overturn the will of the people?

Why are Republicans not ashamed and embarrassed at Trump trying and failing to force the courts to overturn the will of the people?

Is he really so selfish and narcissistic that he has lost sight of the principles and freedoms our servicemen have died to defend, or is the whole show just a charade to grift more money from his supporters?

Posted - December 5, 2020

Responses

He has no empathy for anyone.  He's a grifter plain and simple and he couldn't care less about the fact that millions of Americans are out of work and have to stand on food lines just to survive.  He can have all the McDonalds he can consume, what does he care what anyone else doesn't have?  Service men and women - "losers and suckers" is what he thinks about them.  He never ran for office to better the U.S.  He ran because he figured it would be an easy way to line his own pockets.  He's a turd in an ill-fitting suit.  
      December 5, 2020 9:50 AM MST

he never has (and never will) care about anyone other than himself.  trump lives in a small circular world that consists only of himself (in other words his head is lodged so far up his *** that he can only see himself).  He doesn't give a rat's butt about service men/women (they're just fools who couldn't get out of it like he did), the "people", or even the nation as a whole.  All he cares about is getting praise - the more praise he gets, the happier he is.  To him, power brings praise not responsibility.  he has (in his eyes at least) single handedly ascended to the greatest position in the world.  he honestly can't understand why everyone doesn't like him (cant hrey see how great he is?).  Since he has the mind of a 5-year old, he calls those who won't bow to him names (he believes that somehow elevates himself above them).  And when people of the same intellect cheer this on, he does it all the more (thus his rallies). 

Like a typical businessman, trump believes that if things don't go your way, sue.  If that doesn't work, then sue and sue again until you finally do get your way.    To him, the courts are merely tools.  he even thought that if he stacked the supreme court with his appointees that they would favor him.

The republicans staunchly believe that they are "god's gift to the nation".  They exemplify trump.  Now they see him as their last hope to stay in full power, so they're "all in".  (not saying democrats are any better)
      December 5, 2020 12:54 PM MST

They should all be ashamed of themselves for voting that nincompoop into office. selfish and narcissistic is an understatement where that clown is concerned. 
      December 5, 2020 3:07 PM MST

If you think that is what's happening you aren't really paying attention.
      December 5, 2020 5:53 PM MST

You mean they are ashamed and embarrassed?
      December 5, 2020 5:59 PM MST

They have no shame.
      December 6, 2020 6:38 AM MST

Most conservatives place loyalty above all other virtues.
    This means they'll remain loyal to Trump (or their friend, spouse, boss, company, country, etc) and thus forgive anything providing they see that person as loyal to their interests. 

This is one reason why I am not loyal. If I see evidence of someone lying, cheating, causing harm or committing crimes, I won't stick by them. I'll report them and the proofs. Even if it were the leader of my preferred party, I'd do the same. And if I did wrong, I'd expect them to do the same.

This post was edited by inky at December 6, 2020 12:29 PM MST
      December 6, 2020 12:27 PM MST

My brother, fortunately, is a conservative but doesn't fit that description. He changed his registration to Democratic and voted for Biden. He believes that there should be no upside to Trumpism.
      December 6, 2020 12:31 PM MST

At the risk of verbosity, I try to be careful to careful to qualify my generalisations with words like "most" or "tend". 
    It seems from the political market research that most of Trump's base are less educated, strugglers, and often fundamentalists. If they can believe in the Bible at the literal and creationist level then they can believe anything that appeals to them at the emotional level.

Of course there is far more variety among people of any party than is usually acknowledged in media and polemic discussions.

With the USA divided so closely to 50/50 left and right, it is always the swinging 3% who determine the outcome.

Over here, we hear that this election was exceptional because far more people turned out to vote than ever before. Trump won more votes than any other Republican, so maybe it's not surprising that he's so keen to question the results. But we now know that Democrats also voted in record numbers, and they proved to be the majority.

I see the swinging voters as the thinkers - the ones who do not operate on fixed loyalties no matter what the conditions. Your brother sounds like a conscientious man, as I would guess you are too.

I celebrate Biden's win. Thanks to him, the USA will rejoin the Paris Climate Accord, and this will encourage our government to start taking more action on global warming. Australia will get more opportunities to trade with the US, and greater assistance against China's expansion into the China Sea.

I do feel sorry that Biden didn't get a majority of Democrats in the Senate. That will make it much harder for him to fulfil Democratic policies and goals. The situation with Covid having already run rampant  gives him one of the hardest challenges any president has ever faced. But he's an excellent negotiator and has always been willing to listen to expert advice. I believe that if anyone can help heal some of the rifts in America, it will be him. This post was edited by inky at December 7, 2020 2:08 PM MST
      December 7, 2020 1:46 PM MST

Why? Everyone should want to be certain of the election results. 

Several Dem Senators pointed out the same flaws in the computers that it appears happened this year. Same flaws TX, CNN, NYT all reported on. 

If nothing else it should get these computers out of our elections. 
      December 6, 2020 7:50 PM MST

There have been a few minor irregularities, same as always. Nothing on a scale that can alter the outcome one iota. The majority of said errors have actually been in Trump's favour.
    He was thumped, it was a dirty licking. Don't you get it yet?
      December 6, 2020 9:24 PM MST

List 5 errors that were in Trump's favor.
      December 7, 2020 5:33 AM MST