Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » How well developed is your need for vengeance?

How well developed is your need for vengeance?

Thinking about your most extreme application of this need, was the vengeance sweet, or do you feel a lingering need to go back and finish the job? 

Posted - December 20, 2020

Responses

Well, it’s not a burning or seething emotion in me. There have been life circumstances wherein I returned an exact or closely similar act to someone who had done me wrong. Additionally, there may have been other situations wherein I wanted misfortune or failure to befall an opponent without any directly active interference coming from me. 

I am not now, nor have I for at least a decade, facing anything that requires a decision to seek or not seek revenge,  and I do not harbor any thoughts of unfinished business in that regard. 

Why, do you want to start something with me? Grrrrrrr. (Just kidding.)

~

December 20, 2020 3:12 PM MST

It's really not something I ever think about, so extremely underdeveloped. 

The closest I come to that sort of feeling is when I encounter someone with harsh judgement and no compassion for someone who finds themselves in unfortunate circumstances. I have had thoughts that perhaps if the compassionless, judgmental person experienced a bit more tragedy or hardship, their ability to empathize would increase. I'm not going to inflict it or even wish it upon them, of course. 

The only revenge I need against anyone who has hurt me is to be happy in my life. 
      December 20, 2020 5:08 PM MST

I know, right?

~

December 20, 2020 5:48 PM MST

Nice! 
      December 20, 2020 5:51 PM MST

I don't think of such a thing as development so much as devolvement. I associate development with the ability to rise above self-destructive emotions such as the need for vengeance.
      December 20, 2020 5:14 PM MST

So does that mean you will or will not return to me my lawn mower and hedge trimmers that you “borrowed”?  Grrrrrrrr. 

~

December 20, 2020 5:51 PM MST

Sounds like you copied that out of a book.
      December 21, 2020 7:22 AM MST

No. That is my original thought.
      December 21, 2020 8:12 AM MST

It  is very well developed and it has a wee bit of a Liverpool  justice touch to it. I don't  find vengence sweet  its just something you sometimes have to do but once I am done I have no lingering thoughts to get more. Cheers 
      December 20, 2020 6:36 PM MST

Never felt any need.  Always seemed rather silly and self-centered.  Why should we think we are somehow the center of the universe?
      December 20, 2020 7:18 PM MST